IGNORED

Can I save this CDI? (take a look look inside)

I have two Ventures.

One of the ventures under most conditions will not spark the front right plug. According to my testings it seems to spark the front right coil only when starting the motor. Once the motor runs the front right plug never fires.

I then swapped the CDI from my other venture and the bike runs perfect with the other CDI in place.

I thus deducted that the problem is the CDI.

I then removed both covers from both CDIs to compare them.

Take a look:

CDI both.jpgCDI good all.jpgCDI bad all.jpg

Edited by jfman

Problem area #3 on this long circuit the green conductive film is severely compromised over a long area on the left path. Is there a away to repair this? Can I bybass the compromised area by soldering a wire in there. Worth it? Worth trying?

Is there a way know which circuit runs the front right coil on this CDI(#4?)

CDI area 3 good.jpgCDI area 3 bad.jpg

I tried an experiment tonight.

I plugged the CDI to the bike without its cover and while the bike was running I bypassed the two bad looking circuits with a jumper wire.

This did not seem to fix the non firing cylinder.

Maybe the fault in on the other side of the CDI where I have no acces.

Think I would just clean it up real well and touch any compromised solder area with my soldering iron to reset the solder.. Not adding solder, just touch it so goes fluid for a second and let it cool to reset.. If memory serves correctly, it seems like there are a couple diodes that like to fail on these boards and others have replaced.. Maybe do some research/forum searching cause I am sure there are complete and exhaustive instructions of such.. I know the components are on the other side of that board.. Maybe pulling those four screws to release the board to get to them.. Pain in the neck when they fail eh.. And people that know me have the nerve to ask why I miss points ignition so much :big-grin-emoticon:

The corroded circuit runs are an easy problem to fix with some thin bare sold copper wire and some solder. You must first check the 8 spherical blue diodes on the other side of the board near the connector end. There are threads with pictures. If there are corroded and compromised circuit runs on the visible side of the board, I'll bet that are also some on the other side of the board.

That green on the board is a coating that must be removed before you can solder to the circuit run. The circuit run is copper and must be bright clean and shiny to be able to solder to it (or connect your testing jumper wire). I use a wearable magnifier and a new sharp Xacto blade to scrape the green stuff off where I have to repair a circuit run.

The cover on the other side is not easy to get off. If you take out the screws holding the board down you may be able to sneak a peek at the diodes, the stock diodes suffer from severe corrosion and will look all puffy. Normally once the TCI stops working due to diode failure it is dead, when any one of the 8 diodes fails it takes out the chip that has the program and there is no way to get a replacement, but since yours is intermittent there may be hope. The diodes can look really bad and corroded but still be working (FOR NOW).

There are only 2 ways to get to the diodes on the other side, One is to desolder all of the connector pins to be able to remove the cover, the other is to cut thru the cover next to the connectors all the way across and just remove most of the cover. Cutting the cover is by far the easiest method. Just put a bead of RTV along the cut for reassembly.

Edited by Flyinfool

The cover on the other side is not easy to get off. If you take out the screws holding the board down you may be able to sneak a peek at the diodes, the stock diodes suffer from severe corrosion and will look all puffy. Normally once the TCI stops working due to diode failure it is dead, when any one of the 8 diodes fails it takes out the chip that has the program and there is no way to get a replacement, but since yours is intermittent there may be hope. The diodes can look really bad and corroded but still be working (FOR NOW).

Was hoping you would jump in Jeff. To clarify Jeff if the diodes blow then the chip is ruined? The diodes are still available

right?

If any one of the 8 diodes fails the chip and hence the whole TCI is now junk.

The diodes are a very common, readily available and cheap part.

If it runs on 3 cylinders... the chip is still good no?

In your case it is hard to say since it runs on 4 when you first start it. I never heard of the diodes being intermitent, they are all or nothing. Your running problem may be some other issue. My point is you have the TCI out and opened up it is just a simple visual check while you are there to avoid problems later. The diodes literally pennies each, so they are cheap insurance as long as you are in there.

I would start by fixing the obviously bad circuit runs on the board. There is likely more bad runs on the other side of the board to fix.

Having been through this CDI issue last year or was it two years ago I can tell you the easiest solution was to got to Pinwall and buy another CDI. It was maybe $40. Maybe someone with better skills than I could have saved my board but since they are still out there (I hope) I would just pick up another, seal it up good and relocate it above the battery. It was winter and I had time to put into the repair but I think Flin actually took a close look at mine after I sent it to him and it was not salvageable. All I tired to do was replace my diodes that were not really failing.

Thinking unless you have a harness issue the most likely fault is the igniter.

You mentioned after changing it out that she ran well, and consistent?

I think it worth check the pickup coil now to be sure that it is in spec and not also on the way out.

Thinking unless you have a harness issue the most likely fault is the igniter.

You mentioned after changing it out that she ran well, and consistent?

I think it worth check the pickup coil now to be sure that it is in spec and not also on the way out.

When I swap my good CDI in the bike runs perfect.

Well then time to ride;)

Tell how are things with the covid19? I see Quebec has it the worst in Canada.

:)

We got hit harder than the rest of Canada because our spring break is earlier than in other provinces. People went on vacation for the break and came back with the virus. It's the folks in assisted living buildings that have been hit the hardest. A handful of private establishements lost control and the govt had to step in and send in personel to take over.

But all in all it's still not that bad especially if you compare to the US wich is beeing hit hard with the virus right now.

I live in downtown Montreal but am exiled at my folks vacant country home. I have been here for a month now.

Here in the middle of nature the effects of the virus aren't felt much. It's just weird when I go to the grocery store I run into people I know I cant be too firendly. :)

I work from home so I havent been hit by this financially yet. I even have more money that usual because I don't buy anything.

Maybe I am overly optimistic but I feel liek economically it wo'nt be that bad here. Everyone online is talking about buying stuff and planning motrocycle rides etc.. There aren't that many people who think the financial hardships are coming. This province hasnt been hit with a real hard recession in decades. Even in 2008 things were ok here so the memory of the pain is absent.

How are you guys? I worry about Alberta because the oil market is not going to recover from this quickly and things were bad to begin with. I feel like here the economy is more diversified and there has never been a big boom or bust, it's been more like a slow and steady growth since the crappy mid '90s.

Edited by jfman