IGNORED

Handling

Jthomas

Because of the virus, my base's gate closures have me going a different route to/from home. The stretch of interstate is mostly concrete, including the ramps. I've noticed that the bike is a little loose, mostly in the rear, and doesn't inspire much confidence when on a ramp. Both tires were replaced in the fall and I dont ride it like a sports bike. Should I throw more or less air into the shocks? Since these shocks are adjustable with air, how do you know when they need to be replaced?

Also, is it normal for the bike to want to veer slightly right when letting go of the handle bars with the cruise set? Basically just want to know how to get the best and safest handling for mild-moderately bouncy concrete roads.

Because of the virus, my base's gate closures have me going a different route to/from home. The stretch of interstate is mostly concrete, including the ramps. I've noticed that the bike is a little loose, mostly in the rear, and doesn't inspire much confidence when on a ramp. Both tires were replaced in the fall and I dont ride it like a sports bike. Should I throw more or less air into the shocks? Since these shocks are adjustable with air, how do you know when they need to be replaced?

Also, is it normal for the bike to want to veer slightly right when letting go of the handle bars with the cruise set? Basically just want to know how to get the best and safest handling for mild-moderately bouncy concrete roads.

If your shock is going bad it will squeak when you set on the bike or it will leave droplets on the floor just in front of the tire. If it is real bad it will ride like a pogo stick. As for the air pressure it will depend on how you like it. I ran 35* in mine when riding single. The front maxes out at 7*. The steering could be many things. Head bearings could be a little loose. You could be setting to one side of the seat and not know it. Or a crown in the road. Low air in the tires. These are just some of the things that could cause these conditions.

Its not uncommon for a bike to veer a tad when you let go of the handle bars it often much to do with balance both of the bike and by the rider. Also keep in mind the venture is top heavy making it more sensitive to balance changes. On a positive Note, if it is going to veer, better to the right than to the left. A few things to check is the preload on the steering head bearings, tire wear pattern and tire mounting. By tire mounting I mean is the bead properly set in the rim. Some tires have a ridge line on both sides just above the tire bead. Check to see if the spacing between the ridge line is even to the edge of the rim all the way around. If not or if you want to do anyway let the air out of the tire, break the bead down (don't remove tire from wheel ) and coat the the bead and rim lavishly with some type of tire rim slip or linseed soap. (Don't use household soap or detergents even though some say it is Ok, as they are too alkaline and not Rim friendly over the course of time ) re inflate the tire. TIP: make an alignment mark on the rim and tire so the tire goes back in the same spot and you should not have to re-balance the tire. This should allow the tire do properly seat itself when you re-inflate it. Often tire installers do not but enough lube on bead area and because of the dryness they do not seat properly. Avoid hard stops and starts for the first few miles to prevent tire from shifting around on the rim.

I found whether on a motorcycle or on a commercial truck proper tire mounting can make a big difference. I have even seen tire hop in transports caused be improper mounting of tires and eliminated it by following the above procedures.

On a final note, all the above is based on there not being any structural issues with the bike such as bent frame or forks.