IGNORED

How cool, Beemer double dipping,, 1st the 1600,, now a new 1800cc boxer..

cowpuc

Never a dull moment in the industry.. Beemers latest release into the cruiser market is an 1800cc push rod/air cooled bike.. Stayed with shaft drive,, updated the clutch so it wont lock the rear wheel on a downshift,, pretty neat.. Looking at it though,, as the writer of the article, I am wondering about the heat issue that plagues all air cooled scoots, especially with the creep to big ol honkin cubes.. This one though,, with its jugs capturing the feet/legs and then being encircled by exhaust,,, even though its not fairinged slowing down air flow, it will be interesting to hear about how she does in the cooking the legs/feet category.. Pretty good read,, thinkin of dragging my R1 out for a putt around the block now,, see if I can run me some Virus's..

https://riders.drivemag.com/news/bmw-r18-cruiser-preview-price-better-than-harley-davidson?fbclid=IwAR3JUpHMVPybezTVFrBNKA799LyH7e2NxEgL-YAQhxORWSR0ZwrflsqKgO8

It's awkward as it sits, but nobody can make a twin quite like BMW, I have high hopes for the power plant and fit/finish. Just as with the inline six being a gem, I'll bet this is going to really please boxer fans all over, and probably hatch a buttload of new ones coming off narrow angle twins. Look how punchy the 1250 is, I'll bet this thing is going to be able to square off a rear tire in a short weekend. I'm optimistic that in spite of it's 1st gen aesthetics it's going to be a very successful recipe. I dont own stock in BMW but I would seriously consider owning this bike over other currently available big twins.

With HD starting to circle the drain it is conceivable that those not ready to get onboard with the Japanese bikes but still want big twins are going to take a serious look at something like this. BMW has a rich history of pulling folks off the domestic big twins, this goes back decades before HD had much to worry about.

Just as happened with the Triumph R3, huge engine, subjective aesthetics and life-changing torque, but now in their second gen they got awful damn sexy too. I'm sure when BMW gets feedback on appearance they will polish it up. I predict this as a huge win for BMW and other current V twin owners looking for something better. I am biased slightly toward retro styling. The Indian, maybe retro to the point of novelty, but they are distinguishable from HD, which with every passing day is turning into a bigger win for Polaris. As previously discussed, Polaris is finally getting serious about making a proper V twin to exist in todays world of folks that like a little more performance/longevity/reliability and a little less Heritage/Tradition. Boxers already have a good reputation for going MANY extra miles.

I'm going to go on record as being very fond of the looks of this big beemer, where as I found their first boxer cruiser butt-ugly. With the painfully obvious exception of the entire exhaust system I think this thing is about 90% where it needs to be. It wont be a moment before some quality aftermarket exhaust systems show up and make this one damn sexy cruiser. We are getting more choices for large caliber twins, there is no way I can slice this thing to be a bad thing. I think it's badass - the exhaust.

I like it, a lot. Two thumbs up from me.

Don't care for the boxer engine. Like the styling of the bike but it's just like the three GoldWings I've had those cylinder jugs just keep getting in the way of my feet. Even with floor boards installed they fold up in the twisties and pinch my feet.:confused24:

I also like it. Retro, simple, clean, minimalist(not talking about price here)

Will I buy one?: never $$$

Just like the R3, I suspect within about 2 model years they will start popping up on CL, and another 1-2 years they will be popping up with aftermarket exhaust and other extras for ~30-40% MSRP, especially after there is a 2nd gen.

I recall when the Venture Gen3 TC was new and MSRP was like 27k! Wasn't that long ago either. It was not long before they were closer to 22k brand new for a TC as some dealers were trying to liquidate them towards the end of the model year. I did a random search outside my area and found this example of Gen3 Venture with very low mileage and the TC package for a lick over 50% MSRP, and thats from a dealership for a machine only two model years old and a current gen. I'm sure buyers can start lining up for some very serious discounts on essentially like-new examples from private sellers. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcd/d/escondido-2018-yamaha-star-venture/7103617716.html

For this BMW R18 on the high side it's 20k MSRP, but get a few on the floor close to the end of the model year and watch the price drop a bit. I figure it wont be long at all before someone could get one for a deep discount, especially in the current and foreseeable economy. It's not even out and I've already got plans to get one almost free haha.

In my experience MSRP means very little after a short time. We saw it with the new Venture and about every other high dollar scoot around. Remember when HDs were the holy grail of motorcycles, now they value like used dental floss. What I learned in my HD days is that MSRP and book are meaningless, it's ONLY worth what the next guy is willing to pay. That goes for brand new machines as well, and is becoming more true with every passing day.

I'm optimistic not only that this R18 is super close to being a very cool bike, but also that there is really nothing like it on the market now, but also that the price will self-correct within a year or two. It should be within the reach of most working folk. I'm actually excited about this bike now that I've been thinking about it for a minute or two.

Now that the heat issue has been brought up, I used to own an R100/7 Beemer with a Vetter for about a year. During the summer months I never noticed any heat while running around town or on the road. I know a 1000cc's is a far cry from 1800, but if they could keep the 100 cooled down maybe they could with the 1800 as well?? Also I never had an issue with how it sat. Very comfortable for me.. The only issue I did have was the damn thing wanted to turn over because of all the torque when I rolled on the throttle.... my 2¢