IGNORED

Petcock wont come come out with the tank in place.

I am replacing the petcock gasket on my bike and after removing the fuel line and both screws, the petock wont come out. It seems as if the brass tube for the ON fuel pick up is too long and I cannot angle the petcock away enough from he frame rail to be able to pull it out.

Does the tank have to come out for this job?

Can I slip the new gasket over the brass tube somehow?

Is there a trick to this to save work?

I repaired a leaker on a cross country tour one time by cleaning the mating surfaces the best I could, splitting the new gasket with my jack knife, slipping it in and setting it in Seal All and allow over night to set up.. Sounds funky BUT,, couple hundred thousand miles later when she went to scrap, second gear was still gone and bike was a worn out disaster but the pet cock was still holding solid :big-grin-emoticon:

I repaired a leaker on a cross country tour one time by cleaning the mating surfaces the best I could, splitting the new gasket with my jack knife, slipping it in and setting it in Seal All and allow over night to set up.. Sounds funky BUT,, couple hundred thousand miles later when she went to scrap, second gear was still gone and bike was a worn out disaster but the pet cock was still holding solid :big-grin-emoticon:

Maybe I'll try this.

I looked in my toolbox and I have 4 of these petock seals from Yamaha. I keep buying them forgetting I already have one on hand.

J-F

SealAll is awesome stuff, don't even have to be dry to use it,, always have some on hand. Can't have grease or rust though. Fixed a 2" x 1\4" hole in my buddies oil pan once. It was one of those pans that the engine had to come out to replace it. Worked just fine it did. SealAll and a cigarette package.

Mine came out from the bottom on my '93...snaked down beside the frame. I had the rear tire off at the time but if memory serves me correctly, I deduced at the time that the rear tire didn't need to be off. I specifically thought about that because I had asked someone else if I could get it out from the bottom and wanted to share my experiences with others. Does it seem like you'd have more room on yours with the tire off?

Mine came out from the bottom on my '93...snaked down beside the frame. I had the rear tire off at the time but if memory serves me correctly, I deduced at the time that the rear tire didn't need to be off. I specifically thought about that because I had asked someone else if I could get it out from the bottom and wanted to share my experiences with others. Does it seem like you'd have more room on yours with the tire off?

No the lower frame rail is what is in the way.

No the lower frame rail is what is in the way.

O.k. I'm sorry my memory is failing me a little. I had the rear tire off, the right saddlebag off, and the right crash bar off. In my case, I don't think those things had to be off in order for me to take the petcock out from the bottom; however, I know I didn't have to do anything to the tank. After breaking the seal loose from the bottom of the tank, I canted it slightly to the side in order to allow it to snake between the frame rail and the swing arm.

If you figure out what the difference might be with our two bikes, will you let me know?

Edited by Bob K.

O.k. I'm sorry my memory is failing me a little. I had the rear tire off, the right saddlebag off, and the right crash bar off. In my case, I don't think those things had to be off in order for me to take the petcock out from the bottom; however, I know I didn't have to do anything to the tank. After breaking the seal loose from the bottom of the tank, I canted it slightly to the side in order to allow it to snake between the frame rail and the swing arm.

If you figure out what the difference might be with our two bikes, will you let me know?

Searching some old threads I see some petcocks with two plastic tubes and others(like mine) with a long brass tube that wont bend.

I tried to fish the seal/gasket thru the hole in the tank but did not work.

In the end I just tuged on the petcock a lot harder and it finslly came out.

The filter on the end of the brass tube is bigger than the tube, hence the Reason why its such a pain to slide it out of there. putting it back in was much easier.

JF

Edited by jfman