IGNORED

Starter not firing every time

I have a problem when I try to start my 86 venture, the starter does not always fire. It eventually will start but it takes a few attempts. Any suggestions?

In addition to the push button, there is a starter relay which must make a good electrical contact to provide power to the starter motor. If the relay contacts get pitted and make a poor electrical connection, you might hear a "click" as the relay closes but the starter will not get enough power to turn. This arrangement is common to all cars and bikes with electric start.

zag

Just food for thought.

I am still getting used to the cruise control controls and I find if I am not actually looking at the right control pod I have a tendency to hit the cruise control cancel switch when I am trying to hit the start button.

I hope I read this right, but if not, you now have something to read.

Make sure everything is copacetic ( I think that's the right word). Clean your battery posts and the cable ends, check voltage in the battery s\b 12.6, clean and check connections at the relay (left side of battery, stuck in hard to get at spot), clean the starter connection on the starter, make sure that the grounding points on the starter are clean.

Then, if that don't work, clean the start button (it's not the first time that it would be a problem area) and if that fails, pull the starter, take it apart and see if it could use a cleaning, and if that don't work,, call Patch because he has all the solutions to all our problems,,,, well at least for Ben and me. or call me.

You are using my slap shot techniques against me, I see I'm going to up my game:no-no-no:

That said tho the points Carl makes are worth checking and is proper maintenance for almost any outdoor equipment.

And like Zag mentioned the plunger inside the starter solenoids can carbon up as well as pit which reduces continuity, very common problem regardless of make. It is most often found after low battery issues.