IGNORED

Goldwing 1500 vs Venture on comfort, wind protection, and longevity

Ski_rush

I want to do a little long distance touring (300 mile rides). I live in Nebraska, do it will mostly be straight country roads. I was set on the Goldwing, and the 1500 wing is more in my budget than the 1800. Then, I came across the RS Venture, liked the looks, and started reading about it. Here are my main questions for now:

1. I've read that the Venture has more leg room and a more relaxed riding position, which sounds really appealing. I'm about 6', do I don't want to feel cramped. Other than that, how does the rider comfort between the 2 bikes?

2. Being in Nebraska, we get a more than fair share of wind. How does the wind protection compare between the 2 bikes. At 300 miles, I want to refuce fatigue due to wind.

3. I've read many posts about the wing lasting well over 100,000 miles, and some lasting over 200k with proper maintenance. How does the venture compare to the wing in this regard?

Thanks

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

I want to do a little long distance touring (300 mile rides). I live in Nebraska, do it will mostly be straight country roads. I was set on the Goldwing, and the 1500 wing is more in my budget than the 1800. Then, I came across the RS Venture, liked the looks, and started reading about it. Here are my main questions for now:

1. I've read that the Venture has more leg room and a more relaxed riding position, which sounds really appealing. I'm about 6', do I don't want to feel cramped. Other than that, how does the rider comfort between the 2 bikes?

2. Being in Nebraska, we get a more than fair share of wind. How does the wind protection compare between the 2 bikes. At 300 miles, I want to refuce fatigue due to wind.

3. I've read many posts about the wing lasting well over 100,000 miles, and some lasting over 200k with proper maintenance. How does the venture compare to the wing in this regard?

Thanks

The Royal Star Venture definitely has more leg room and may be the most comfortable bike out there.

The water cooled V4s have been known to go over 200k miles too. No worries there.

The Wing has a lower center of gravity and may be easier to handle at low speeds. I personally don't consider the RSV to be top heavy. The RSV fairing is attached to the handlebars and combined with the wide front tire has heavy steering at low speeds.

In my opinion, the two things I don't like about the RSV is the heavy steering at low speeds and the fact that almost all of them have an annoying clutch basket gear whine that is fairly loud at certain speeds. The positive thing is that you can buy an RSV for probably half of what a Wing costs and it is probably just as durable.

You won't go wrong with either.

1. Yes it is more comfortable than my previous 1200 Goldwing and the leg forward is what I needed for relaxed feel. You may need to look at different handle bars to bring the pull back toward you. The RSTD bars work great.

2. Being a Nebraska native, I have found that the wind blows everywhere and can be strong everywhere also. The Venture handles wind like a hot knife through butter.

3. Ventures are good to 200,000 + miles, I know of one at 300,000 + miles in Atlanta.

Follow your instincts but again, either will fill the bill.

:farmer:

The Royal Star Venture definitely has more leg room and may be the most comfortable bike out there.

The water cooled V4s have been known to go over 200k miles too. No worries there.

The Wing has a lower center of gravity and may be easier to handle at low speeds. I personally don't consider the RSV to be top heavy. The RSV fairing is attached to the handlebars and combined with the wide front tire has heavy steering at low speeds.

In my opinion, the two things I don't like about the RSV is the heavy steering at low speeds and the fact that almost all of them have an annoying clutch basket gear whine that is fairly loud at certain speeds. The positive thing is that you can buy an RSV for probably half of what a Wing costs and it is probably just as durable.

I agree, but I must add that I never thought the wing was much for style. Venture is a much better lookin' bike.:2cents:

For me (6' 240#) the Goldwing feels cramped. When they have case guards I tend to get my toe hung up in them putting my foot down.

The low center of gravity makes the Goldwing a breeze to push around. It feels like it wants to stand up on its own so you have to remember to put the stand down.

The Goldwing has reverse but I think it's probably more trouble than its worth. Just remember to park so you're not having to back uphill.

Hard to beat how smooth that opposed Goldwing engine runs.

Service is WAY easier (and cheaper) on the Royal Star.

Thanks

Yep, 200,000 to 300,000 for Wing. My uncle had one over 200,000. Yes I have heard better leg room on new Venture. That said I know of several folks who are over 6 feet tall riding Wings. I believe there is an after market fix for the leg room.

I have heard a lot of positives on the Venture. However, I just cannot agree with a long distance heavy motorcycle that is air cooled new Venture. Especially in today's environment of less pollution. The temperature is much easier controlled with a radiator. Even Harley went to liquid cooled heads. Of course air cooled has less to go wrong. I prefer shaft drive also. But that is why there are so many choices.

If 300 miles is you touring range you have a lot of choices. I'd choose whichever one turned you on in looks and how it fit you.

Thinking the OP was comparing RSV to 1500 Wing so we are probably talking water cooled shaft drive apples to apples... Maybe not,,, if not,,, just skip my post and listen carefully to Leroy IMHO..

Never could do the Wing thing either because of the capturing of feet thingy.. The opposed 6 was smooth as silk but just no way to come up w a way for multiple foot placement. Looks wise, I personally never cared for the looks of any fixed fairing touring bike. My very favorite Bat Wing (outside of HD) was the RSV Millineum :178: but, IMHO,, that all depends on opinion again IMHO..

Dont know much about the RSV ride for CTFW out past a 12 hour day but I do know the MK1's are remarkable for doing such.. Pretty sure the RSV is totally capable of the same though cause my brother, Neal,, rides one, he's not a tuff guy like I am lol ( VentureFar :guitarist 2:) but has still done many many Iron Butters on his gorgeous black RSV.. I have toured on many non-fairing and Bat Wing faired scoots and absolutely LOVE the ugly fixed for battling cross winds like found in the far west States of which the fixed is superior for IMHO..

Concerning the 1500 Wing,, one of the huge things, IMHO, for me is/was Honda's carburation design.. While not an easy peasy set up,, the Yamaha V-4 carb system is farrrr more simple to work on/maintain than the Honda.. Honda tucks the carb system tightly between frame rails = perfect for tiny little Japanese fingers to work within but definitely not for fat Puc fingers.. Plus,, you can do nothing with the Hondas without removal thereof..

I was also never a "foot forward" kind of person for far riding and simply gotta have the ability to move my feet around and even stand up occasionally.. That said,, some points to ponder =

Edited by cowpuc

Since most points have already been stated I will cut this short in my usual manner, Steering I found the gold wing heavy handed were as the 1st Gen Venture MK I & II you can almost steer by simply shifting your weight there is no heavy feel to the handle bars at all. I found shifting an issue on the gold wing was difficult due to what I would consider cramped foot room and even worse with the heel toe and floor board setup. The Venture can handle riding off road reasonably well for a big bike as I noted during a trip along what was nothing more than a cow path with sections washed out by run off. Even gunned it over a small jump when faced with a 45 deg 4 ft high mound ( landing was somewhat hard due to the weight ) and it handled it reasonably well all things considered. (not something you want to make a habit of though - jar's every bone in your body ). I certainly would not attempt any of this with a gold wing. I also found the 1st Gen far more comfortable. On the other hand if your doing very long trips you do have more access to parts and service although I can't say as that I have heard of too many break downs for either gold wing or Venture. A friend of mine switched from the Venture to a gold wing because of his short legs but stated ride wise he preferred the Venture.