IGNORED

Plastic filler pieces above valve covers necessary?

That may be somewhat debatable some members prefer to just chuck them after they have taken them out change plugs or to do a valve set. Myself I have always put them back in but If i did not have any to put back in then I probably wouldn't sweat it. I am assuming your talking about a 1st gen.

Like Bum I assume you're talking 1st Gen. On my '84 I've had those both in and out a few times since '07, seeing if there was any effect either way. Being here in the Central Midwest and being a year round rider I was curious myself. From my experience they don't seem to have any effect on cooling or engine temps. Looking at the design it seems the purpose of those shields was to deflect the engine heat down and away from the cockpit area. During trips in the 100 degree range you might feel a bit of difference behind the fairing. I've done a few road trips in the winter with temps in the low teens and can't say that really made any difference you could feel at road speed anyway. So that being said....... It's your call. They don't seem to effect the bikes performance at all other than perhaps defecting a little moisture away from some wiring if you're a rainy season kind of guy.

was curious myself.

From my experience they don't seem to have any effect on cooling or engine temps. Looking at the design it seems the purpose of those shields was to deflect the engine heat down and away from the cockpit area.

There is more to it; the intake induction port should be shielded from the rising engine heat, cooler air for induction is perfected

I've done a few road trips in the winter with temps in the low teens and can't say that really made any difference you could feel at road speed anyway.

Again there is more to this when cold weather riding, the engine heat should come out from the side vents, it does help the passenger and also the bay temperature/involvement.

The first time I took them out on my 85 I decided they should go back in, so I laid them on a shelve to get er done later. Never noticed any ill effects, but there were ill effects on my person in trying to get them back in, so OUT they stayed. Bike still runs fine today so the new owner says.

I agree with Patch though, if only for the fact that it's Sunday and it's a day to be nice to each other.

I agree with Patch though, if only for the fact that it's Sunday and it's a day to be nice to each other.

What the Fork? On Mama's thread I set you and Bum up perfectly and ya both ignored me; now ya playing nice with me?

If things don't get back to normal I'm'a going to find new friends to mess with:confused07:

And, has anyone heard from BIG TOM:cry:

The first time I took them out on my 85 I decided they should go back in, so I laid them on a shelve to get er done later. Never noticed any ill effects, but there were ill effects on my person in trying to get them back in, so OUT they stayed. Bike still runs fine today so the new owner says.

Thank God there is a Sunday. At least that way ONE day a week Marcarl is nice ......Even to @Patch.:beer:

Now both of you are ganging up on me,,,, I just knew this was a motorcycle gang,,, now I has to be careful and not say anything,,,,, nice.:whistling:

Mmmm :scratchchin: :think: :icon_lurker:

Ok thought about that long and hard and this part

""now I has to be careful and not say anything,,,,, nice"" has me confused :confused24:thought that part came natural to ya :witch_brew: