IGNORED

Need new tires

For those of you that have purchased tires within the last year, is there a consensus to the top 2 or 3 out there for our big RSVs?

I've been running Avon Cobras for years and have liked them, but the set I currently have on needs replacing after only 9000 miles (usually I get 12-13k). So just starting to look again...

For those of you that have purchased tires within the last year, is there a consensus to the top 2 or 3 out there for our big RSVs?

I've been running Avon Cobras for years and have liked them, but the set I currently have on needs replacing after only 9000 miles (usually I get 12-13k). So just starting to look again...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?107652-Shinko-777-Tires

and

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?137901-Metzler-ME888-amp-Shinko-777-tires

I have Shinko 777 on my RSV now. I am very happy with it and several RSV owners also have them installed on their bike.

I've had good luck with both Shinkos that fit our bikes, the 777 & 230. I was getting 8-10k miles on a rear. Softer rubber so they gripped like hell wet or dry.

I'v put Dunlap E4's on my 06 RSV but I'm only about 6000 miles in so can't evaluate total miles. So far, they look like I'll be please with mileage.

I switched to the Dunlap E4 when they came out since they increased the load rating over the E3. I picked up a 2nd bike last year and only have 4k miles since installing it. So far it's been a very good tire both wet and dry but I haven't pushed it much.

When getting the Shinko 777 be sure and get the HD. Also the Michelin Commander 3 just came out. I know several guys who bought then, but not long enough for a mileage test yet.

Also, I have a brand new set of Shinko 777 HD for the venture. Never used for anyone around central Texas. $150

Like oil, everyone has their opinions and facts to back up their preference. If you are at all interested in what the various numbers and letters on the sidewalls mean, here's one that you should be aware of...Load Rating. Since we all know the RSV is a bit on the hefty side of the scale, pay attention to the Load Rating of whatever tires you are looking at.

Based on information posted on this site and many others, including the Tire Manufacturers sites, you should be looking for a tire that will comfortably support the weight of your bike plus you, the occasional passenger and all your collective "stuff". Choosing a tire that barely meets that limit isn't a good long-term strategy. If you are looking for a short-term band-aid and don't mind changing tires frequently, choose whatever tire you can stretch onto the rim. If you're looking for a set of shoes that will do the job properly, pay attention to the Load Rating of that tire.

Major tire names all make offerings for the RSV. Since your bike plus you will likely be real close to 1000 lbs, and as the rear tire carries most of that weight, look for a tire with a suitable Load Rating. A lot of the more popular tires..Dunlop, Michelin, Shinko..post Load Ratings for an RSV-suitable tire in the 70 to 74 "Load" range. That translates to between 739 and 827 lbs. The Avon Cobra..your previous choice..and its replacement the Cobra Chrome are listed with an 80 Load Rating. That's 992 lbs.

As you have used these in the past, it might be something to consider again. I bought a 2000 RSV from the original owner 3 years ago. He hadn't put many miles on it in the 17 years he owned it, and was still running Dunlop D404s. After a bit of research, I replaced them with Avon Cobras. At around the 10,000 mile mark, the front tire was starting to cup slightly on either side of center....nothing major but I could feel it in long sweeping curves. Quite possibly my own fault for believing the recommended tire pressure guidelines from Yamaha. Avon recommends front and rear pressures a few PSI higher that OEMs. Although the rear tire looks nearly new with 10,000 miles on it, I'll be replacing them both in a couple of weeks with Cobra Chromes, keeping the old ones as standbys.

I found the Cobras to be excellent for what I do. Quiet, sticky, no issues with wet roads, and feedback from road grooves & tar snakes.

Enjoy your choice, whichever route you choose.

Cheers...

Papa Fred

Like oil, everyone has their opinions and facts to back up their preference....

..with a suitable Load Rating. A lot of the more popular tires..Dunlop, Michelin, Shinko..post Load Ratings for an RSV-suitable tire in the 70 to 74 "Load" range....

Just presenting the "facts" from Shinko, the manufacturer that states they are rated 80 load range (not 70 to 74" as you stated), which is higher than the factory Dunlops.

Shinko.jpg

Here is a way to even compare the factory tires against a Shinko.

MtireCompare.pdf

Well, I stand corrected on Shinkos. There is certainly more to a tire choice than any one particular category, and with factoring in tire life, grip, wear, ride, price and whatever other factors there are...for my own ride and peace of mind, that particular brand has never been on my list of candidates, and I obviously didn't go to their website, or anyone else's, to verify the Load Rating. I apologize for offending anyone.

Buy what fits your comfort zone, and if price is a consideration on the type of tire you buy....make the choice.

Looks like the Michelin Commander III Touring only has 12 sizes available...and NOT a 150/90B15. Rats...

On the Avon Cobra Chromes, does the lack of siping in center of tire allow for hydroplaning easier in rain downpours?

From personal experience, I can only speak to the performance of the Avon Cobras. They, like nearly ANY tire on the market, are better than the OEM Dunlops. I'll leave it to others to post links to other pages of specifications and opinions. Seat-of-the-pants feeling with the Cobras....I haven't had any issues in the rain. Some will say the center rib or sipe will behave better in the wet. My experience with that type of tread is that center rib nibbles at road seams and imperfections. Again...MY experience with that tread.

There are those that say the overlapped tread pattern like the Commander or Cobra stabilizes the tire on the road, and channels the water out to the edges of the tire. No center rib to squirm around. I ride with 2 other RSV owners who swear by their Dunlop E3's and E4's. As you may have already found out, When Dunlop phased out the E3 (overlapping pattern) and introduced the E4 they went to a center rib. Time will tell.

Remember....opinion. We all have 'em and sometimes share 'em when asked.