IGNORED

Something refreshing to think about. Wayy cool FREE tool for that tool box!!

cowpuc

Got a buddy who got himself a new air cooled, push rod V-Twin,,,, thats when all the :stickpoke: fun started.. Actually, he started the :stickpoke: when he went and announced that with just a little tweaking (turning off his electronic speed limiter), the torque of his new scoot would definitely carry him past the top speed of my beat up, run down old 83 Venture and, being twice the cubic inch, quite possibly do in my Yamaha R1's top speed too :witch_brew::stickpoke::doh:..

A friendly but lively discussion took place concerning the matter... It got long winded with me trying to explain why HP carrying in the upper R's wayy above the 5250 line where his Big Twin would explode combined with that higher R ability being able to take some major gearing advantages due to the wider range of usable power to his and him trying to explain why Torque is the only thing that matters,,, you know,, usual back and forth :Im not listening to... Back and forth and back and forth we went,,, what a REFRESHING blast to be back to :Im not listening toing bikes again... Farrr away from all this corona nonsense..

After we came to our usual dead end street, I tossed my hand written gear ratio math notes aside and did some internet searching to see if I could find some engineering support for my point of view:missingtooth:.. He did the same :big-grin-emoticon:...

What I found is going to make the eyes of good friends of mine like Venturous Randy (you didn't think I forgot about all our discussions about gearing did you brother) flat out bleed with joy!! Talk about a POWERFUL tool in the right hands!! THOUGHT ALL YOU LOP EARED GEAR HEADS MIGHT ENJOY THIS = https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear-bikes.aspx

Edited by cowpuc

Hey cowpuc, hope you are doing well and adequately disinfected.

If there is one thing that I wish I had done earlier, it was the change from stock gearing to the RSV trans and the VMax final drive. That change made my 83 more usable all the way around. It also eliminated all the 2nd gear and gear tumbler issues with loose pins.

For those not familiar with this, what you get is approximately a 10% lower 1st, a 5% lower 2nd, 3rd and 4th are the same and a 5% higher 5th gear. This made the bike much better at low speeds loaded up and especially if pulling a trailer and when running at internet speeds, it made a surprising difference on wanting to have one more gear.

I ran a VMax final drive with a 10% lower gear for a while before the trans change and even though it was fun, interstate speeds for me then was not.

Randy

Hey cowpuc, hope you are doing well and adequately disinfected.

If there is one thing that I wish I had done earlier, it was the change from stock gearing to the RSV trans and the VMax final drive. That change made my 83 more usable all the way around. It also eliminated all the 2nd gear and gear tumbler issues with loose pins.

For those not familiar with this, what you get is approximately a 10% lower 1st, a 5% lower 2nd, 3rd and 4th are the same and a 5% higher 5th gear. This made the bike much better at low speeds loaded up and especially if pulling a trailer and when running at internet speeds, it made a surprising difference on wanting to have one more gear.

I ran a VMax final drive with a 10% lower gear for a while before the trans change and even though it was fun, interstate speeds for me then was not.

Randy

Hearing that brother, amen!! That is exactly why I summons you on this thread = I learned soooo much from chatting with you about exactly that!! Now seeing this "tool",, plugging in the numbers and seeing exactly what can/could be done made me :big-grin-emoticon: about the memories of chatting with you about it!!

Still got a very low immune system from all the health issues,, definitely laying low and not looking for a fight.. My daughter and son-in-law who both work at a Hospital in California had a 2 week trip to Michigan planned and have now canceled everything to protect Tip and I,, kind of sad cause I really miss em... Oh well,, can still Skype em :missingtooth:.. How are you folks? Hope you are getting some Miata time my brother!!:thumbsup:

cowpuc, Linda and I are doing ok. She is still healing where she broke the ball off in her left shoulder. On her last doctor visit, it was determined that one of her screws is loose. Well, I have had some suspicions about that for much longer than her shoulder injury.

We have not been getting out much as I have been doing all the shopping. We are supposed to be 78 degrees here tomorrow and cloudy and I told her I am going for a top down ride in one of the Miatas. She has decided we are going on a picnic because she does not want to eat out anywhere.

The biggest problem we have had is getting our days and nights mixed up. I am routinely wide awake all night, but real sleepy and napping all day. Maybe tomorrow, with going for a ride, I can start to turn that around some.

Randy

...What I found is going to make the eyes of good friends of mine like Venturous Randy (you didn't think I forgot about all our discussions about gearing did you brother) flat out bleed with joy!! Talk about a POWERFUL tool in the right hands!! THOUGHT ALL YOU LOP EARED GEAR HEADS MIGHT ENJOY THIS = https://www.blocklayer.com/rpm-gear-bikes.aspx

Ohhh you are so right. I could spend a few hours here. Thanks! (The KM to MPH button is at the top of the TIRE section)