IGNORED

Timing marks on 1st gen Venture

I unexpectedly had to remove the cams from the front of the motor on my 1988 Venture.

I dont have a Clymer manual but befor I pulled the cams I marked the the chains and sprocket with a sharpie.

I put everything back like it was and now I am at the point where I want to put the valve covers back on.

before I do, I want to be certain that timing is correct.

I found two marks on the flywheel thru the sight. T1 and T2

Anyway Without a book I can't figure it out. Maybe I have it wrong.

When timing the front cylinders, which marks to use?

Any help is appreciated.

JF

Jf, according to the club's manual you will be using T-2 for the front pot... Here is where I am reading from = start at page 158 = https://www.venturerider.org/manuals/1986-1993%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Service%20Manual.pdf..

There is a fair amount of checking cam sprockets and stuff here too,,, just normal OHC cam stuff.. Also beware of rotational protocol on the crank,, I believe its counter clockwise only but its all in there... I know on ANY of the scoots I went thru in the past when it involved valve timing, I ALWAYS double checked my alignment marks and the like but I also ALWAYS, with plugs pulled and rotating in the right direction bias,, stuck a breaker bar on the crank and slowly rotated her thru a couple times to make sure I wasnt about to bend a valve = dont take much of a bump on a piston... I know and am sure you know all that but thought I would toss it out there...

Best of the best brother,, get er done

Puc

Thank you for this link. Did not even know it was avail.

I just read thru this manual and I am amazed that there are no actual marks tu line up like 95% of bikes.

Most bikes you line a few lines/marks and you are done. On this one it's more vague.

but no big deal, my bike matches what this manual says and also since I have a second venture with covers off. I compared both bikes with the same reference points and there are 100% identical.

thanks guys!