Thread: What's really going on here?

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's really going on here?

Quote Originally Posted by uncledj View Post
    I do not consider the "thinking man" sheep....quite the opposite.
    Critical thought is what would prevent panic / overreaction.
    Agreed Uncle.
    I realize I applied some pressure your way. But, as you mentioned you are young and strong meaning you can take it

From the outset it wasn't much of a challenge to predict the conspiracy theories lurking around the corner. That said the mood and direction has changed, we are a small part of this change, we also demonstrated once again our differences are what sets this club apart from most out there so, cheers!

I did take note to a few words spoken today by the President "China is not a beneficiary..."
    My logic says that should spell the end to unfounded conspiracies that only exist to distract us from the real ones

Thanks for helping getting the word out

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound advice, but, moving forward, ....which ones are the "real" conspiracies that I should focus on?

3. Likes cowpuc, Patch liked this post
    United States
    IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work for a company that has been considered an essential business because we print for the government, USPS, IRS. We have had three people confirmed with the Covid-19 virus. Our CEO of the company sent this article to all the employees and I found it very interesting. Why the coronavirus has been so successful. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...avirus/608338/

5. Thanks N3FOL, BlueSky, cecdoo, Patch gave thanks for this post
    Likes Patch liked this post
    United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting the article, BMW. It gave me some understanding on the mechanism of infection of SARS-CoV-2. To me, it is truly a very aggressive and one thing that is alarming to me is the ability of the virus to remain so deadly to humans even in the warmer climates of the world.
    Keep On Riding!

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So reading through the article, I need to scratch my head somewhat. In most of our world, a dog remains a dog and a cat remains a cat. They have little ones and turn out basically the same as their parents, still dogs and still cats. Now this virus, all on it's own decides to mutate into something that it really is not, it changes very quickly and seems to accommodate itself into something that it's host (us) is more unlikely to be able to resist. So what external forces are driving this change? I know animals can and will adopt to changing environments, but this takes time and generations to complete. What cause this little feller to do this, at will seemingly? I'm not arguing with the article, not at all, but just wondering about what's seems to be discovered.
    Do it now, before you forget again.
    Register today

Rally@the Shores
    July 16-19th 2020

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marcarl View Post
    So reading through the article, I need to scratch my head somewhat. In most of our world, a dog remains a dog and a cat remains a cat. They have little ones and turn out basically the same as their parents, still dogs and still cats. Now this virus, all on it's own decides to mutate into something that it really is not, it changes very quickly and seems to accommodate itself into something that it's host (us) is more unlikely to be able to resist. So what external forces are driving this change? I know animals can and will adopt to changing environments, but this takes time and generations to complete. What cause this little feller to do this, at will seemingly? I'm not arguing with the article, not at all, but just wondering about what's seems to be discovered.
    The mutations are random - just like in animals and plants. Some mutations will be fatal, many will be benign and a few will confer an advantage - just like in animals and plants. The reason it doesn't take much time is the number of viruses is unimaginably large and they reproduce quickly. So the number of iterations that might take many thousands of years in an animal only requires a few days for a virus strain.

By the way, being deadly to the host is not an advantage for the virus. A dead host won't spread the virus. From an evolutionary perspective it's much better to have a lot of hosts without severe illness transmitting the virus. There is some evidence that that's what's going on here. The virus causes severe illness or death in a relatively small number of hosts.
    Last edited by MiCarl; 03-25-2020 at 10:54 AM.
    Hidden Content
    1989 Venture Royale (Sold)
    1982 XJ650 (Sold)

9. Thanks cecdoo gave thanks for this post
    Likes Patch liked this post
    United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got my letter (e-mail) that designates me an essential worker.....and I'm laid off...lol.
    From what I've read, this virus isn't all that much different,and it actually hasn't mutated much. The thing that makes it a bit worse is that it more easily creates problems in the lower lungs which makes it more difficult to treat. It'll be more likely to cause pneumonia, which is tough on old folks....Sounds like Freebird is getting it under control...Thank God....

United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncledj View Post
    Got my letter (e-mail) that designates me an essential worker.....and I'm laid off...lol.
    From what I've read, this virus isn't all that much different,and it actually hasn't mutated much. The thing that makes it a bit worse is that it more easily creates problems in the lower lungs which makes it more difficult to treat. It'll be more likely to cause pneumonia, which is tough on old folks....Sounds like Freebird is getting it under control...Thank God....
    There are two strains of Cov-19, one more virulent than the other. But the medications being proposed to treat it and the vaccines to prevent it, that are under tests/development are supposed to work on both strains from what I've read.
    Hidden Content Dahlonega, GA. The past was good enough for us.

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMW View Post
    I work for a company that has been considered an essential business because we print for the government, USPS, IRS. We have had three people confirmed with the Covid-19 virus. Our CEO of the company sent this article to all the employees and I found it very interesting. Why the coronavirus has been so successful. https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...avirus/608338/
    I enjoyed the article. I found this interesting:

"
    Thereís one possible exception. A few SARS-CoV-2 viruses that were isolated from Singaporean COVID-19 patients are missing a stretch of genes that also disappeared from SARS-classic during the late stages of its epidemic. This change was thought to make the original virus less virulent, but itís far too early to know whether the same applies to the new one. "

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567