IGNORED

Odometer counting too fast

Hey guys, I'm new here. I just bought an 89 VR a couple days ago and learning as much as I can as fast I can while riding this new toy. There's multiple things to nit pick about it, but one thing standing out I just realized tonight on my way home from work... The odometer is counting way faster than what I have traveled. I bought it showing 868--, and in the 2 days I've had it, I'm now at 87702. I know for a fact that I haven't gone more than 50 miles, trip shows 40 I believe. Where do I even start with this?

Does the speedometer seem correct? How about the trip odometer.

Both of the odometers are gear driven by the speedometer and there isn't really any way for the odometers to run faster than the speedometer. Only thing I can think is perhaps some of the wheels are stuck together.

If you decide to go in be careful. It's a delicate instrument.

I believe they are correct, if I could stop speeding lol. Just goes way to nice and easy and don't realize I am. The trip seems to work correctly. I make the same trip all the time in my car and mileage between the two seem about right. Very new to this so I'm very lost. I'm still trying to figure how to get all the plastics off without breaking them so I can figure out where the oil leaks are coming from.

if you havent yet, I suggest you download the service manual for your bike. It will help you in getting the plastic off the bike in an orderly manner. Here is the link to it. https://www.venturerider.org/manuals/1986-1993%20Yamaha%20Venture%20Service%20Manual.pdf

Also look over the tech library for a lot of answers to question I am sure you will have and of course dont be afraid to ask us here if you cant locate an answer.

Rick F.

Lol thanks for the tips and ideas. After looking again I realized I had a huge blonde moment and wasn't thinking correctly. The mileage is correct. I thought when I bought it it had 86k+ on it, not the 87k. Sorry for the waste of time. Still have to get in and find the oil leaks, and it's drinking gas like none other. That 50-60 miles I've put on I have used over half a tank. Seems to run good, slight miss when idling cold, but good otherwise. Smells a bit rich idling cold and after shutting it off. Having to tinker slow as money is going on multiple directions, like new tires to start off before I can actually get miles on it, front is splitting in the sidewalls. Thanks again guys