IGNORED

SVTC CB Radio

Is anyone with a SVTC using the CB? I can't seem to get mine to work ( admittedly it is the first time I have ever used any kind of CB) I even put it on the universal emergency channel (9) as a test and couldn't get a a hold of anyone. I have it turned on in the settings, I can hear myself through the headsets, but going through the channels and trying to adjust the squelch, they are either static or quiet. I am doing a two trip to Alaska this summer and the guys I ride with use CB's to communicate out on the road. Any ideas? I'm probably doing something wrong, but not sure.

Do you have a wired headset? It was the only way I could test mine by barrowing a cable since I don't have one. Also, ch 19 is widely used in the US travelling the highways, used by truckers. you can ask for a radio check while near a highway and someone usually responds. I read on one of the forums that if the antennas are reversed the CB may not work. I cannot attest to that though and it could have been someone yanking a chain so to speak.

Is anyone with a SVTC using the CB? I can't seem to get mine to work ( admittedly it is the first time I have ever used any kind of CB) I even put it on the universal emergency channel (9) as a test and couldn't get a a hold of anyone. I have it turned on in the settings, I can hear myself through the headsets, but going through the channels and trying to adjust the squelch, they are either static or quiet. I am doing a two trip to Alaska this summer and the guys I ride with use CB's to communicate out on the road. Any ideas? I'm probably doing something wrong, but not sure.

I am using the Sena Freewire and my CB worked fine for my trip from Ohio to Colorado . . . I did keep it CH19 and and was able to hear chatter about accidents and so forth, but it doesn't seem to have much range I couldn't tell you exactly how far the range was but it was just a feeling. It could also be that everyone was quite around me too . . . but I was able to use mine. Since you will be riding with people in your close proximity then you should be fine as far as range goes.

Do you have a wired headset? It was the only way I could test mine by barrowing a cable since I don't have one. Also, ch 19 is widely used in the US travelling the highways, used by truckers. you can ask for a radio check while near a highway and someone usually responds. I read on one of the forums that if the antennas are reversed the CB may not work. I cannot attest to that though and it could have been someone yanking a chain so to speak.

Yes I only use the wired headsets. Like I said I have never used a CB before, so I did not know that CH19 was the universal travel channel. I'll have to try it out on that channel.

Thanks!

I am using the Sena Freewire and my CB worked fine for my trip from Ohio to Colorado . . . I did keep it CH19 and and was able to hear chatter about accidents and so forth, but it doesn't seem to have much range I couldn't tell you exactly how far the range was but it was just a feeling. It could also be that everyone was quite around me too . . . but I was able to use mine. Since you will be riding with people in your close proximity then you should be fine as far as range goes.

And really that is the only reason I would probably use it, traveling with the group.

Thank you!

So last weekend I went on channel 19 for awhile, but still heard nothing, of course I like to spend less time on a boring slab of concrete, so I am guessing my route wasn't privvy to many with CB's. I had it on while I was on the freeway, a few trucks around but no chatter. Does all other media need to be off (i.e. music, intercom)?

So last weekend I went on channel 19 for awhile, but still heard nothing, of course I like to spend less time on a boring slab of concrete, so I am guessing my route wasn't privvy to many with CB's. I had it on while I was on the freeway, a few trucks around but no chatter. Does all other media need to be off (i.e. music, intercom)?

I don't think other Media has to be off. There is a squelch setting that may be too high. did you hear any static? I'll try to remember to turn mine on when I go home tonight.

I'm not sure about the media either, I haven't used it since September . . . I will be out soon and check it myself, but if I remember correctly, you don't have to have it off, as the previous comment states you just need to adjust the squelch. It may help to go by a truck stop and check there most drivers have theirs on while in the lots, another thing would be stop by a CB shop and test it with them or your friends that have their radios.

... I even put it on the universal emergency channel (9) as a test and couldn't get a a hold of anyone. I have it turned on in the settings, I can hear myself through the headsets, but going through the channels and trying to adjust the squelch, they are either static or quiet. I am doing a two trip to Alaska this summer and the guys I ride with use CB's to communicate out on the road. Any ideas? I'm probably doing something wrong, but not sure.

Channel 9 is just that....supposed to be for emergencies. Used to be a monitored channel...I haven't heard otherwise. Channel 19 is the most commonly used channel. 29 is what Venture riders use during group rides.

As mentioned, turn your squelch down and park by a major highway and see if you hear anything. It isn't like it used to be, there isn't a lot of use on CB's.

If your buddies have cb's on their bikes, try testing with one of them and see what you get. If you are near a Yamaha dealer you can get them to check to make sure everything is good.

Your headsets... are you certain that they are working? Can you talk to your passenger?

Channel 9 is just that....supposed to be for emergencies. Used to be a monitored channel...I haven't heard otherwise. Channel 19 is the most commonly used channel. 29 is what Venture riders use during group rides.

As mentioned, turn your squelch down and park by a major highway and see if you hear anything. It isn't like it used to be, there isn't a lot of use on CB's.

If your buddies have cb's on their bikes, try testing with one of them and see what you get. If you are near a Yamaha dealer you can get them to check to make sure everything is good.

Your headsets... are you certain that they are working? Can you talk to your passenger?

Headsets are fine, can talk with passenger, make calls, etc. Could just be no one is around. The truck stop is a good idea. The squelch, I turn until I get static, then go one setting the other way. Is that correct?

Thanks

Headsets are fine, can talk with passenger, make calls, etc. Could just be no one is around. The truck stop is a good idea. The squelch, I turn until I get static, then go one setting the other way. Is that correct?

Thanks

I rode home last night with the CB on and I too was getting nothing. I was doing some reading and someone had posted that if the antennas are switched the CB may not work. I find that a stretch but I have had mine off the bike a couple of times to cover it while on a trip. I'm going to switch them and see what happens.

--

At the bottom of the antennas, there is a small L or R near the base that tells you which side to put them on. I had a lot of trouble getting my c.b. tuned in. I never could get any truckers to answer. I don't think they use the c.b. like they used to. So I had to get some shop with a hand held unit to get it going and get the right series of buttons pushed. Dealer was useless.

--

• 2 months later...

I have a 2018 SVTC and am having troubles with my CB also. The mike will be keyed all by itself and if I key it there is a long hesitation before it goes off. Also on my 06 Venture when using the CB transmitting Or receiving The radio shut off like I believe it should. The18 does not.. the radio is broadcast also. I have dealer checking but no luck. Help.

For the CB keying itself on check to see if the mike is set for voice activation (VOX) - you can turn this on or off in the Infotainment Center I like to keep it off as the VOX seems either to sensitive or you have to yell your head off for it to work.

Yes, once you depress the PTT button it takes a second or two for the radio to transmit.

For the CB keying itself on check to see if the mike is set for voice activation (VOX) - you can turn this on or off in the Infotainment Center I like to keep it off as the VOX seems either to sensitive or you have to yell your head off for it to work.

Yes, once you depress the PTT button it takes a second or two for the radio to transmit.

Thank you will try to make sure VOX IS OFF. does you radio cut out when using cb.

Yes, CB give a beep when it is ready to transmit and the radio does cut out.

Wife has as a Spyder with CB so we chat all the time... really drives some truckers nuts when they hear our chatter and cant figure out its the bikes.

Yes, CB give a beep when it is ready to transmit and the radio does cut out.

Wife has as a Spyder with CB so we chat all the time... really drives some truckers nuts when they hear our chatter and cant figure out its the bikes.

Thanks. I thought it should cut out like the old one did. Sirius radio is not cutting out Problem for the dealer. Not sure if push to talk switch is bad or not releasing all the way. Hopefully tech services will have info for dealer shortly.

Thanks. I thought it should cut out like the old one did. Sirius radio is not cutting out Problem for the dealer. Not sure if push to talk switch is bad or not releasing all the way. Hopefully tech services will have info for dealer shortly.

Pappy here again. The radio cuts out when cb mike is keyed, but only when both are through the headset. If radio is through the audio speakers and not the headset, it does not cutout. Is this normal. VOX was shut off. That did certainly help. Thanks in advance