IGNORED

tires

billybug67

has anyone used the shinko 230 tour master.. if so many miles you get and how they ride.. I ride a 2005 ..

Years ago I experimented with Shinko tires and found that their short life was costing me about the same as a more expensive tire without the hassle of changing it. Gave up on looking for a low cost tire and just went back to Metzeler.

zag

has anyone used the shinko 230 tour master.. if so many miles you get and how they ride.. I ride a 2005 ..

Years ago I experimented with Shinko tires and found that their short life was costing me about the same as a more expensive tire without the hassle of changing it. Gave up on looking for a low cost tire and just went back to Metzeler.

zag

I ran a 230 & a 777, Less than 10,000 miles and both were well worn. They handled well, excellent wet traction and had a high load rating. I've since switched to the Dunlop E4; like Zagger said, what I was saving in tire I was spending in time/effort to change tires more frequently.

If you're an in-frequent rider and your rubber ages out before it wears out they might not be a bad investment.

I haven't used the Shinko tires as I can not find the size for the rear. I have had very good luck on the E III's. That is what is on the bike now and the date code is 4313 Very good tread but I will change them out to Dunlop 404's as I am not riding as much. As for changing tires often I don't care as I have a tire changer in my shop.

I tried a Shinko on my '05 several years ago not sure which model. I started moaning at about 5000 mile because the tread was nearing being worn out. At 5500 miles I was already at the 'replace me strips'. I ordered a Nexan car tire to go dark. After another 500 miles (I have an 80 mile round trip for work) I was on a slick and the Nexan was delivered and installed.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the 777. Got 5200 miles to the wear bars on the rear of my 07 gen 2. Just switched out the Pirelli MT66’s after 6100 miles down to the wear bars. I just mounted kenda Kruz and fully expect to get about 6000 miles on them. If your mounting costs are zero $$$ then buy the cheap tires. If you pay a shop to mount your tires then buy E3’s and get 12,000 or more miles. It is a math calculation.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the Shinko 230 Tourmasters on my 89 VR and they are still looking good. The sidewalls will show cracking before I run out of tread. I would go back to the 230's in a heartbeat on that bike. They ride and handle so well...

The 05 RSV had Metzlers but they developed issues and were replaced with the Shinko 777HD's. Love that tire as well. But a nail got the rear in Chicago and was replaced with a 230 (all the store had). It's showing wear now after around 4K and I expect I'll replace it this year with another 777HD. The HD version keeps the handling but adds more wear. I like the way the RSV rode on the Shinkos on my cross country. No complaints front or rear.

I don't mind the tire changing. I take them off and pay a shop $25 each to mount and balance them. While the tire is off, I do preventive maintenance on front and rear end. I don't want a hard tire that lasts forever. Then my rear end wouldn't get cleaned and greased enough! LOL!

Remember, Shinko tires are made from the molds/technology of the Yokohama brand when they were around. One of the best brands for cycle racing.

I use them on my 96 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder and would get about 9000 miles out of the rear. Front could about double that. They handle well and grip the road well. Of course I don’t push the bike as hard as I could.

i found good prices for them at rockymountainatvmc.com if they have your sizes. Order and 3 days later at your door.

On my Royal Stars I've mostly run Michelin Commanders since 2007 (Maybe Avon's at first).

I went to the Michelin Commander, Loved them. Then they came out with the C2 but did not have stock size front so I mixed Dunlop E3 front with Michelin C2 rear for several years.

On my 2009 Venture, first time with that combo I got 26K front and 22K miles on rear.

Two and a half years ago I bought another 2006 RSTD, this one lightly used, restored after sitting for a few years (first owner had long illness then passed).

The family put on a set of Shinko Tourmaster 230's just to sell it at 5000 miles on bike. I bought it next with just 6000 miles.

So the Shinko 230's had 1000 miles, when I got it.

Me and the last owner did a 200 mile run in SW Missouri and NW Arkansas. Awesome riding there. The tires and bike performed great on dry asphalt twisty roads.

But I trailered the bike back to my home in South Carolina. First time I got on the interstate I did not care for the ride. And first time it rained on the interstate,,, it was a butt pucker.

So, within a couple weeks I replaced the Shinko's with a set of Michelin C2's. Yep I went with the small front and haven't looked back.

I gave the 1300 mile Shinko's to a friend (but told him my feelings). I don't know if he used them or not?

I planned to ride them to their expected 8K miles,,, but Nope, will not ride them again.

zag

I have used more expensive tires with longer life and that is because they are not as sticky on the road especially in the rain if you want to do twisty roads and it is slick the Shinko's are great.

Tire newbie here - bias or radial? Pros and Cons of each? I have a 2008 RSV.

from RSV user manual:

Front tire = 150/80-16M/C 71H - the -(dash) between the 80 aspect ratio and the 16 rim size is supposed to indicate bias ply - what is the difference between bias ply and bias belted and does it matter?

Rear tire = 150/90B 15M/C 74H

The Dunlop E4 equivalant for the front tire (from what I can gather) is 150/80B16 71H TL - what does the TL mean?

The Dunlop E4 for the rear tire appears to be 150/90B15 80H TL

Edited by cwtart

Taking a step back and placing a reminder.

If you use a 130 instead of 150 in the front you will have substantially lighter steering inputs. Meaning a long twisty road won’t tire you out. I got about 50% lighter steering I out from raising the rear end and about about 30% additional lighter going to the 130 front. The kenda Kruz I just out on actually made the front end even lighter. Kind of feels like my Gen 2 has power steering now.

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have experience with the Tour Master, but I have the Shinko 777 installed front and rear on my '07. So far, I have about 8K miles on the rear and looks like it still has another 5K to 6K miles left. The front - I had just installed them a few months ago. Overall, I've been very happy with the ride. Good grip and much quieter than my previous Bridgestones.

Those of you running the Shinko 777 HD, what pressures are you running? The front 130/90-16 has a sidewall posted maximum rating of 49#. The rear 150/90/15 shows 42#.

I have the 130/90-16 on the front. I run 42 front 42 rear.

Installed the Shinko 777 HD tires. 130/90/16 front and 150/90/15 rear. Previously ran the Michelin Commander II in the same sizes. After performing other pre-season maintenance on the Carbon One stand, I lowered the bike and re-installed my Diamond R center stand. Attempted to put the bike on the center stand and could not get it up. I have had this center stand for years and always use it in the garage. Being a senior 5'8" and 170#, while not the easiest thing, I have always managed. Re-checked bike, tires at 42#, rear shock at 30#, nothing changed except the tires. Online search confirmed my suspicion. Commander II front tire 25.83" OD, Shinko 25.20". Commander II rear tire 26.34", Shinko 25.63". The 5/8" lower in the front and nearly 3/4" lower in the rear really made a difference in getting the bike on the center stand.

Fortunately, the Diamond R center stand has adjustable legs so I was able to compensate. Now my other concern is how much will this reduce the already minimal lean angle.

Those of you running the Shinko 777 HD, what pressures are you running? The front 130/90-16 has a sidewall posted maximum rating of 49#. The rear 150/90/15 shows 42#.

I put 37 psi on the front and 40 psi on the rear tire.