IGNORED

Bike wiring for a trailer

RonK

--

General question: If you've hooked up a Yamaha for towing and have wired the bike forthe electrical hookup, then how'd you do it? Did you splice into the factorywiring under the seat by splicing the wiring and use miscellaneous parts, ordid you find a plug and play set up that included a relay and isolator? If so,where did you get your harness kit?

I could go the splice into existing wire route, but a kit that has been designedto protect the bike's electrical from shorting out would be the better way togo. I want to hook up a Bushtec trailer which has the 6 prong coupling, so it'shard to find anything if you don't have a Harley or Goldwing.

--

--

I have just received the info I need and will pass on to everyone:

https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/isolator-yamaha-venture-eluder/

This is the link to my bike, butElectrical Connections has these for most all models. For my bike this will bea total plug and play with even the plug that hooks to the trailer.

You can contact Lewis @865-219-9192 for more info if needed.

--

--

I have just received the info I need and will pass on to everyone:

https://electricalconnection.com/index.php/product/isolator-yamaha-venture-eluder/

This is the link to my bike, butElectrical Connections has these for most all models. For my bike this will bea total plug and play with even the plug that hooks to the trailer.

You can contact Lewis @865-219-9192 for more info if needed.

--

the link above to Steve is all plug n play also.

• 3 months later...
I think you will find my pricing is better than EC.

Hi.

Question,,,,

On that other site that sells them for almost $50, they state their's has "Isolation".

Is there an advantage to this "Isolation"?

I like the price of yours, but is this isolation something of an advantage that yours does not offer?

Are you still making and selling these?

Thanks.

ToolmanRR

Hi.

Question,,,,

On that other site that sells them for almost $50, they state their's has "Isolation".

Is there an advantage to this "Isolation"?

I like the price of yours, but is this isolation something of an advantage that yours does not offer?

Are you still making and selling these?

Thanks.

ToolmanRR

i am still making all of my products, my trailer harnesses are isolation harnesses.

The isolation relay adds a layer of protection by isolating the bike's lighting system from the trailer's lighting system. The trailer lights are powered from the battery through the isolation relay that senses the bike's rear lighting and activates the tail, brake or turn signals on the trailer as the bike calls for them. If your trailer develops a short circuit only the trailer lights are affected, the bike's lights still function.

The sub harness that EC sells for $49.95 is only one part of their system, it does not connect to your trailer, it requires that you also purchase an isolator from them and if your trailer needs a 4 pole connector you need to purchase a converter also and then you provide the trailer connector that matches your trailer.

My system includes the sub harness and either a 5 wire to 5 wire isolation relay package or a 5 to 4 converter that has an isolation relay built in. No messing about with piecing parts together, just one clean plug and play system that is tailored to your specific needs. If you need a special connector for a Bushtec or a 6 pin square, I will build the harness with that connector at a modest up charge. EC doers not include the trailer connector and shipping is an extra charge with them, my system includes shipping and a standard 4 or 5 pin flat rubber molded connector.

A 5 wire system from EC will run you $129.90 plus shipping and the cost of a trailer connector.

My complete 5 wire system with shipping and a flat 5 pole rubber trailer connector will cost you $131.00.

A 4 wire system from EC will cost you $162.85, plus shipping and a trailer connector, while my 4 wire system including shipping and a standard 4 pole flat connector will cost you $96.00.

Shipping is to the lower 48 states, if going to Canada add $7.00 US to cover the added freight costs.

Tell me what you need and I will get you a quote, as quick as I can.

Hope that answers your questions.