IGNORED

2011 Royal Star Venture cooling issues

I recently purchased a 2011 Yamaha Royal Star Venture with 3300 miles on it. I know it has been sitting up for a good while so I changed all the fluids in it and also put new tires on it because of course the others where dry rotted. I have been able to ride it and have put about 800 miles on it in the last month. Lately it has started overheating on me. I checked the fan and it is working. I have flushed the radiator and put new fluids in it and it is still overheating. I am not a mechanic but not helpless either but I have never had to deal with this on a bike before. Is there a thermostat on this or is it maybe the water pump and what is the best way to trouble shoot this issue?

Thanks

Yes there is thermostat, you have to pull the fuel tank it is up near the radiator filler neck as I recall.

It has been a while since I owned my Venture so I forget if it had a temp gauge or just an idiot light, you may want to describe the symptoms or indications you are getting that tells you it is overheating.

I would get the radiator cap pressure tested or just get a new one, could be it is not holding pressure and letting the fluid boil due to low pressure.

The water pump is driven off a gear driven shaft down on the lower right side, it is behind a small round cover. I cannot say I have ever heard of a water pump going bad, where it is not pumping, occasionally one of the seals goes bad and allows oil to get into the coolant system.

You could pull the thermostat and put the housing back on with out the thermostat, leave the radiator cap off and start the motor to see if the pump is circulating the fluid.

Possibilities are:

Clogged radiator

Bad/stuck thermostat

Bad radiator cap

Bad sensor, there are two that I know of, one to operate the fan on and off and then another to turn the over temp light light on. It is possible the sensor has gone bad giving an erroneous indication.

As I recall there are trouble shooting guides in the service manual, which should be available in PDF format here, https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?140302-RSV-and-RSTD-Service-Manuals

Keep us posted on your findings and progress.