IGNORED

Carb sync connections, water jacket plugs and parts

jsb777

Hello all.

1) Does anyone know the correct part # for the "plugged on one end" rubber caps (2 total) that go over the connections of the intake runners?

I just cannot find this part on any schematics.

What have you used as an alternative to the OEM cap?

Both of mine show several cracks.

2) In a 3-16-2012 post, "Scooter Bob" mentions that cylinders #1 (left rear) and #4 (right front) should have the PLUGS on the intake runners.

My 2005 Midnight Venture (72k miles) has the plugs on the 2 REAR (#1 & #3 ) cylinder intake runners.

Presently, the #2 (left front) vacuum tube runs toward the battery and down the right side.

The #3 (right rear) vacuum tube runs toward the front, around the spark plugs, down near the radiator fan and then the right side.

Can someone please CONFIRM that rubber plugs/caps belong on #1 & #4 and vacuum hoses belong on #2 & #3 ?

3) I've drained the cylinders of anti-freeze by removing the push in plug with threaded insert (part #90338-11152-00).

Simple to remove, but WAY TOO EASY to reinstall.

I understand the bolt on cylinder fin holds them in place. I also read about "the dime trick" but that doesn't appeal to me.

I don't show any evidence of them leaking, but they just seem way too easy to reinstall, like there is nearly ZERO resistance to them being pushed in.

Do you re-use these each time? Replace them only as needed? Replace every time?

Thank you so much for your expert opinions and "sometimes" humorous commentary.

John

Eugene, OR

Hello all.

1) Does anyone know the correct part # for the "plugged on one end" rubber caps (2 total) that go over the connections of the intake runners?

I just cannot find this part on any schematics.

What have you used as an alternative to the OEM cap?

Both of mine show several cracks.

2) In a 3-16-2012 post, "Scooter Bob" mentions that cylinders #1 (left rear) and #4 (right front) should have the PLUGS on the intake runners.

My 2005 Midnight Venture (72k miles) has the plugs on the 2 REAR (#1 & #3 ) cylinder intake runners.

Presently, the #2 (left front) vacuum tube runs toward the battery and down the right side.

The #3 (right rear) vacuum tube runs toward the front, around the spark plugs, down near the radiator fan and then the right side.

Can someone please CONFIRM that rubber plugs/caps belong on #1 & #4 and vacuum hoses belong on #2 & #3 ?

3) I've drained the cylinders of anti-freeze by removing the push in plug with threaded insert (part #90338-11152-00).

I understand the bolt on cylinder fin holds them in place. I also read about "the dime trick" but that doesn't appeal to me.

I don't show any evidence of them leaking, but they just seem way too easy to reinstall, like there is nearly ZERO resistance to them being pushed in.

John

Eugene, OR[/QUOT

OK! First off we need to relax! You are running a bike made to run long and hard..

Now you've been here for 7 years do you ever see us panic? NO because we know the bike is secondary to family and with only 25 posts in 7 I am wondering how is the wife and Kids????

The dime trick is just a spacer, you could use a washer no big deal! Now, yes it is easy, because it is under minimum pressure.... So don't worry bout it; If you want to add a margin, then just coat it with mr.gastek or similar stuff to add seal but, everything shrinks with age, not to worry because we learn to compensate with experience and,,, they really never catch on;)

Enjoy yourself and share more, more often!!!!

3mm nipples are available at the local auto parts stores

Pretty sure John knows the bike is made to run long, I had the pleasure of meeting him at Dons MD a few years back and he was sharing stories of his rides criss-crossing the US. Great to hear from you John and hope all is well with you and your family. Why dont you head east and hit the NY Rally this year, be great to swap stories.

Take care, Craig

Patch and Craig:

Thanks for the prompt responses!

Patch, I'm not sure about the Canadian time zone thing, but your post was time stamped 1:47 AM. Couldn't sleep? Just getting off the evening shift?

I found the correct part # for the intake plugs. Called a PLUG, BLIND #1 6G-13569-00. On that same parts breakdown, I "think" I can tell that the plugs

do go on cylinders #1 and #4 . The parts pic is a little fuzzy. I just wish someone could confirm that for me.

Wife still here...kids all good. No pets, though we did "cat sit" for 3 months for the youngest daughter. Never again!

Just not much to report in that department.

Craig, I haven't made any big trips since 2016. Went back to work in 2017, spent all my weekends in 2019 working on the master bath, a complete remodel.

Have made several "2 weeks at a time" trips to W. KY as we continue to debate about leaving Oregon and retiring there.

Bike is currently strapped in the chock in the garage, and I'm just going over it front to back before the weather turns to the good here.

I really need to get a CarbTune or similar (Morgan another brand?) to sync the carbs with. My short time at MD in June of 2016 continues to pay dividends,

as I've learned to do just more and more on the bike. Though I am not a mechanic, I just don't trust anyone to work on it any longer.

I would like to make a run over the Lolo Pass on my way to Glacier Nat'l Park this year. No firm plans just yet. Saw Glacier in 2007 on my first cross country trip

and would like to go back. I typically ride to Crater Lake once a year since it is so close and so beautiful. I didn't even do that last year...

I drop in the forum and just read some, but don't really post much unless I have a question.

Again, thank you all for the prompt replies, the good information, and the willingness to share what you know. If I KNEW more, I'd SHARE more!!

John

Eugene, OR

Patch and Craig:

Patch, I'm not sure about the Canadian time zone thing, but your post was time stamped 1:47 AM. Couldn't sleep? Just getting off the evening shift?

I found the correct part # for the intake plugs. Called a PLUG, BLIND #1 6G-13569-00. On that same parts breakdown, I "think" I can tell that the plugs

do go on cylinders #1 and #4 . The parts pic is a little fuzzy. I just wish someone could confirm that for me.

Wife still here...kids all good. No pets, though we did "cat sit" for 3 months for the youngest daughter. Never again!

Craig, I haven't made any big trips since 2016. Went back to work in 2017, spent all my weekends in 2019 working on the master bath, a complete remodel.

Have made several "2 weeks at a time" trips to W. KY as we continue to debate about leaving Oregon and retiring there.

Bike is currently strapped in the chock in the garage, and I'm just going over it front to back before the weather turns to the good here.

I really need to get a CarbTune or similar (Morgan another brand?) to sync the carbs with. My short time at MD in June of 2016 continues to pay dividends,

as I've learned to do just more and more on the bike. Though I am not a mechanic, I just don't trust anyone to work on it any longer.

I would like to make a run over the Lolo Pass on my way to Glacier Nat'l Park this year. No firm plans just yet. Saw Glacier in 2007 on my first cross country trip

and would like to go back. I typically ride to Crater Lake once a year since it is so close and so beautiful. I didn't even do that last year...

I drop in the forum and just read some, but don't really post much unless I have a question.

Again, thank you all for the prompt replies, the good information, and the willingness to share what you know. If I KNEW more, I'd SHARE more!!

John

Eugene, OR

Where in W. KY? We're just down the road from KY Lake.

Ronnie,

If you're in Dexter, then I'm sure you know where SYMSONIA is.

My wife and both graduated from Symsonia HS, and attended Murray State for a couple of years.

Have been in Oregon 43 years come August.

Planning another (annual) trip in May, but will fly in to Paducah or Nashville, our usual means.

I have ridden the bike there three different times.

John

Hello all.

John

Eugene, OR[/QUOT

Patch and Craig:

In theory it makes no difference providing the run to and from is a safe one, tubing is not kinked or there be no potential for burning!

Why is because it simply measures pressure differentials. Now I think the second one would be for cruise but I need to look at the schematic, I will do so and if I form a different opinion I repost.

It is assume that the pressure are eq. cylinder to cylinder and without leaks. The reason being all crank and valve timing are consistent meaning either cylinder should produce equal vacuum!

As for the plugs think we covered that and nice to see you pick up on them being due.

Mountain time here but last night and many nights I keep company with a friend suffering from a series of medical mishaps, she does needs someone to be there till she falls to sleep;) several hundred miles away ;)

Yes please do keep in touch

Ronnie,

If you're in Dexter, then I'm sure you know where SYMSONIA is.

My wife and both graduated from Symsonia HS, and attended Murray State for a couple of years.

Have been in Oregon 43 years come August.

Planning another (annual) trip in May, but will fly in to Paducah or Nashville, our usual means.

I have ridden the bike there three different times.

John

I'm actually southeast of Dexter but that's where my mail comes from. Been through the Symsonia area a lot. If you have a chance when you're here drop me a line and we'll grab coffee or a meal.

Patch and Craig:

John

Eugene, OR

Glad to see you’re alive and well John and still on two wheels. Heck if you’re as close as Glacier Park this year, why not skip across the border and come for a visit? Would love to show you around our beautiful Province. Safe travels wherever you go. Doug

All right, if you follow this link below it will take you to clear views of what you seek to know;)

https://www.venturerider.org/manuals/RSVservice.pdf

Before you rehook the tubing check to make sure the pollution device is still hooked up, many I think have been disconnected.

If that is the case then disconnect them at the intakes and cap them as the front ones, so they can't effect a vacuum leak later.

P6-16

Coolant: P3-35

COMPRESSION!!????: P3-21

No point in tuning carbs without checking COMPRESSION;)

#1 is rear left side

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd follow up on the small rubber water jacket plugs held in place by the bolt on cylinder cooling fins.

While doing the coolant change, the old rubber plugs came out VERY EASY and went back in the same way...TOO easy for my comfort level.

Seeing where they were located and how they were secured, their age explains a small coolant leak/staining I'd been seeing under the #2 cylinder bolt on cooling fins.

I ordered new ones and they are MUCH more snug that the old ones with 72k on them (I suspect).

I'd never changed them and don't know if they ever have been changed.

On to brakes and differential fluid change...rain forecast for the next week here in Oregon so it's a good time to do this stuff.

John

Eugene, OR