IGNORED

Nexen car tite

Skid

My first car tire was a nexen CT. I ran it at 40psi because it wanted to wander at higher speeds, other than that I had no issues with it. The 40 psi was a suggestion from another VR member. Stuck amazingly good in the corners, worked well in the rain and held air. :happy34:

I ended up taking it off at just over 30K. I took it off to lube the rear splines and realized it didn't have enough tread to put it back on so I switched it out to a MC tire. Then put on a BFG CT. That one is still on. The BFG sits a bit lower.

Jeff I installed the Nexen last spring. The ride is much smoother and braking is improved, even my wife commented on the ride the first time she was on it. I rode solo locally a few times before I let her on it just to be sure it was safe. I did an 1100 mile saddlesore, 2200 miles to Niagara and back, 1700 on WNY trip, and several shorter trips. The only difference I feel is on a crowned road if I let go of the bars it will sometimes want to migrate down the crown and if I shift in a low speed corner it will try to stand up a little while the clutch is pulled. The only place I really notice it is a wide sweeping turn from a stop sign nearby, if I shift from first mid turn it tries to stand up a little. It's not a violent jump or anything that bothers me, it doesn't take me out of my line, I just feel it. When this tire is worn out I will install another just like it. My local tire shop mounted it, like everybody else said it took nearly 100'psi to seat it. I just walked out to check and I have 12,200 miles on it with 6/32 tread left. I was running through back MC tires every 6-7000 miles. I tried Commander II and Shinko 777 before I went this route. I went with the Nexen because it was taller than the BFG, some say the BFG is a better ride though. I ride just as hard in the twisties as I ever did with no problems.

My first car tire was a nexen CT. I ran it at 40psi because it wanted to wander at higher speeds, other than that I had no issues with it. The 40 psi was a suggestion from another VR member. Stuck amazingly good in the corners, worked well in the rain and held air. :happy34:

I ended up taking it off at just over 30K. I took it off to lube the rear splines and realized it didn't have enough tread to put it back on so I switched it out to a MC tire. Then put on a BFG CT. That one is still on. The BFG sits a bit lower.

I had the same issue with the Nexan and tried everything from 30-45psi and couldn't get rid of the vague wandering feeling at highway speeds. I also have a Hagon HD rear shock, 130-18" front wheel from a Stratoliner, and beefed up front springs. I assumed my issues of wander were due to the higher suspension setup and narrower front tire. I did a December Toys For Tots run in 2" of snow and the CT stuck like hell. Braking was greatly improved, handling was great solo or two-up for anything under 65mph.

I ended up with a Dunlop E4 for my next tire, I still have a 2nd rim sitting in the shed and will probably try the BFG CT next go round. As noted, it sits lower than the Nexan and that might change the rake/trail geometry of my bike back to something stable at highway speeds.

I had the same issue with the Nexan and tried everything from 30-45psi and couldn't get rid of the vague wandering feeling at highway speeds. I also have a Hagon HD rear shock, 130-18" front wheel from a Stratoliner, and beefed up front springs. I assumed my issues of wander were due to the higher suspension setup and narrower front tire. I did a December Toys For Tots run in 2" of snow and the CT stuck like hell. Braking was greatly improved, handling was great solo or two-up for anything under 65mph.

I ended up with a Dunlop E4 for my next tire, I still have a 2nd rim sitting in the shed and will probably try the BFG CT next go round. As noted, it sits lower than the Nexan and that might change the rake/trail geometry of my bike back to something stable at highway speeds.

Out of curiosity did you check swingarm bearings and steering neck bearings? Reason I ask I did the swingarm when I installed the CT but not the neck bearings. I had it on the jack getting ready for the WNY rally and the neck bearings seemed a little loose, I tightened it up by the instructions here and it wanted to go into a death wobble at 90 mph and big truck turbulence was terrible. I backed them back off and it settled down. I'm going to replace the neck bearings this year before I really get into riding season. It rode great before I messed with the neck bearings, I had it above 90 two up pulling a trailer to get away from some trucks with no issue. I do run the 150 front, haven't been into the forks to see if PO changed springs, and have leveling links installed.

Out of curiosity did you check swingarm bearings and steering neck bearings? Reason I ask I did the swingarm when I installed the CT but not the neck bearings. I had it on the jack getting ready for the WNY rally and the neck bearings seemed a little loose, I tightened it up by the instructions here and it wanted to go into a death wobble at 90 mph and big truck turbulence was terrible. I backed them back off and it settled down. I'm going to replace the neck bearings this year before I really get into riding season. It rode great before I messed with the neck bearings, I had it above 90 two up pulling a trailer to get away from some trucks with no issue. I do run the 150 front, haven't been into the forks to see if PO changed springs, and have leveling links installed.

I bought the bike in '13 with a few maintenance issues. I rehab'd the back end in Sept '13 with the Hagon shock to replace the blown factory, pulled the swing arm for a full grease and torque. It's checked every year as part of spring maintenance.

The Straoliner front wheel went on in the Spring '14 with a new Michelin tire.

Front end was rebuilt Winter '15 with new bearings, up-rated spring and fresh fork oil. Previous owner had the neck WAY to loose and there was a noticeable "detente" in the steering.

CT went on in 2016.

The Hagon shock raised the back end 1/2" higher than stock, the front end sits about 1/2" lower than stock, plus the narrow tire just didn't site well with THIS SPECIFIC tire. From what I understood in my reserch the Nexan is slightly taller than stock and I think I just pushed my rake/trail numbers to far with ALL the modifications. I do plan on trying the BFG at some point as it's slightly shorter than stock.

I ran the Nexan on my '06 for 18K miles. I had a wobble at 95, adjusted the tire to 36 lbs and things smoothed out, I never had any roaming issues with the bike. The tire was great in the rain and had excellent stopping power. If I still had the 06 I'd be running another one.

• 1 month later...
Ok thanks. Looks like around $60 is the going price for them. I’ll probably order one this week and try it out.

I had a wobble at 90-95mph. I bumped the pressure to 36 psi and it was smooth to 100. I ran 75 - 80 on the highways regularly.

I've only run Nexans during the last 10 years. That's all I'd be willing to testify to ;). I bought the SVTC a year ago. I just put on a second MC tire on it after 13K miles. My next tire will probably be a run flat CT.

What is everyone's expereince for the best CT?

If I were putting another CT on, I'd put the Nexon on. BUT---I put Ct's on because I was using the RSTD for traveling, and now I use my Vstrom for that.

So, I'm putting a set of Shinko 777 WWW on.

Seems that the Nexon liked corners better as I remember.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The ride is pretty smooth and feels much softer on the CT. It’s feels different but not in a bad way. I think after a few miles it will just feel natural again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ride is pretty smooth and feels much softer on the CT. It’s feels different but not in a bad way. I think after a few miles it will just feel natural again.

Wiz and I just had this conversation a few minutes ago. Keep us updated after a few rides. I have no intention of going back to a MC tire.

• 1 month later...

After 2000 miles I think I got things working good. I had a little weaving issue at first at highway speeds but tightened up the steering head and that went away. I also just replaced the front with a E4. That may have added to the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Well when I thought I had things figured out, my wobble is back. I tightened up the steering head and things got better, but after a couple hundred miles it seems to be coming back. I checked my air gauge and it seems to be reading low. I will compare it it other gauges and see what happens. Anyone else have this problem?