IGNORED

Hi I am a Passenger!

Yama Mama

Yes, I am a passenger. I sit on our 99RSV's couch. I have enjoyed it every since the year we bought in in 2002. I am not what most people would refer to as a brave woman. I can be very cowardly at times. I am no Annie Oakley or Joan of Arc at all. When I tell some of my friends the trips we have gone on on our bike, many say they could never do that. A couple of years ago, I was having problems with sciatica, which was very painful. I could not even get on the bike. Ron was not happy with the fact that I was not riding, so he seldom went out on the bike himself. Since then I have worked to fix this problem and last year we started riding more together again. I could see the difference in Ron's attitude once again.

So I guess we are back in the saddle again, or on the couch which ever you say.

I hope to continue riding as long as Ron wants to.

Yama Mama15752_10205161612946692_1885491820663693844_n.jpg

Tip and I LOVE that picture of you and Ron Peggy = just gorgeous!! Yes indeed,, you are a passenger,, a passenger aboard a magic carpet ride to freedom and adventure!! Now,, just to share a few words about Ron and his change in attitude because his best friend is enjoying that magic carpet ride with him.. Many times the depth of what Ron (and others like him) is feeling can be misunderstood..

Although Tips reason for not riding in the early years was different than yours (she stayed home and took care of 3 kids while I chased around the country with the 4th offspring for many miles), she spent little to no time "in the saddle" with me.. Once the kids flew the nest she took to the passenger seat like a duck to water. Even though we were having the time of our lives covering thousands of miles together, one thing kept popping up,,, any time we would pass groups of lone riders all packed together she would make comments like: "are you sure you wouldnt rather be enjoying your time with a group like that?".. I always reassured her that finding the magic in the carpet ride was a lot more fun when sharing with your best friend.. Still though,, having your husband say this can only go so far.. Then one day a life changing event happened:

We pulled into a little town just outside of Cody.. As I was exiting the local supply house with a pop in hand, a group of riders pulled in from Jersey.. One of those riders came over and was reading Tweeks adventure stickers,, looked at me and said they had passed us back on Bear Tooth and had all commented about how cool it was to see an older couple out enjoying life together.. He then made the comment about how badly he wished his wife would even consider doing such a thing and how lonely it can get covering thousands of miles alone... I stopped him and asked if he would mind sharing his thoughts with Tip when she came out.. He said SURE and he did!! After that day Tippy never again mentioned her thoughts as to whether or not I would rather be riding "with the boys"... Thought I would mention this Sister:happy34:

Tip and I LOVE that picture of you and Ron Peggy = just gorgeous!! Yes indeed,, you are a passenger,, a passenger aboard a magic carpet ride to freedom and adventure!! Now,, just to share a few words about Ron and his change in attitude because his best friend is enjoying that magic carpet ride with him.. Many times the depth of what Ron (and others like him) is feeling can be misunderstood..

Although Tips reason for not riding in the early years was different than yours (she stayed home and took care of 3 kids while I chased around the country with the 4th offspring for many miles), she spent little to no time "in the saddle" with me.. Once the kids flew the nest she took to the passenger seat like a duck to water. Even though we were having the time of our lives covering thousands of miles together, one thing kept popping up,,, any time we would pass groups of lone riders all packed together she would make comments like: "are you sure you wouldnt rather be enjoying your time with a group like that?".. I always reassured her that finding the magic in the carpet ride was a lot more fun when sharing with your best friend.. Still though,, having your husband say this can only go so far.. Then one day a life changing event happened:

We pulled into a little town just outside of Cody.. As I was exiting the local supply house with a pop in hand, a group of riders pulled in from Jersey.. One of those riders came over and was reading Tweeks adventure stickers,, looked at me and said they had passed us back on Bear Tooth and had all commented about how cool it was to see an older couple out enjoying life together.. He then made the comment about how badly he wished his wife would even consider doing such a thing and how lonely it can get covering thousands of miles alone... I stopped him and asked if he would mind sharing his thoughts with Tip when she came out.. He said SURE and he did!! After that day Tippy never again mentioned her thoughts as to whether or not I would rather be riding "with the boys"... Thought I would mention this Sister:happy34:

How true yorur words are. I have been riding for many years. I have been on local group rides and wishing the wife was with me but she was always working. That is why we would plan at least one trip a year to get away together. I have not had the bike out much the last two years as I have lost interest in riding alone. Hopefully that will change this year as she plans to retire in July. :fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo:fingers-crossed-emo

Mama, you haven't posted much for awhile and now back with a vengeance. Must be cabin fever!

I hope you get riding weather soon.

timNo cabin fever, just thought I would check in. Remember when you and I used to chat all the time in the chatroom. Seems like so long ago.

Yama Mama

Mama I'm like the guy Puc talked to. My Wife used to come on some rides with me when I first got the venture, as long as I stayed off Major highways. Then after she had her hip replaced she just was not comfortable on the bike anymore and I miss the companionship from having her ride along. Specially when I see other couples enjoying each others company while going on motorcycle trips.

Neither my nor I could take long distances on the 1st gen, I got the 2nd gen which is much more suited to both of us. We were riding a little more until we made the trip home from Don's MD 2018 in one day, it was too much for her. Then add in some injuries from a car wreck and she just wasn't comfortable on the bike very long. I built the passenger highway pegs that helped some and added armrests and BINGO she's back in go mode. I do limit our days so we take a long lunch break and try to stay under 5-6 hours on the bike before we find a room. It works for her so I save the long days for the occasional solo trip, I still do a few 10-12 hr days and a saddlesore last year. 17 hrs home from WNY last year was trying my limits.

I do understand how some wives are just not comfortable on the back of a motorcycle. I am a tall woman, and sitting on the back of a RSV which is already pretty high up, it is a different feeling. I have been on the back of a HD Ultra and it does sit a bit lower. Also the RSTD sits a little lower than our bike.

I like sitting higher to be able to see the sights as we ride along. I guess I am just conditioned to it. I completely understand ladies who have had medical issues. You definitely have to build up to longer rides. The longest ride we ever did was on our way to Sturgis, where the first day out we went 800 miles. I remember I was worn out and Ron's legs shook for a while after getting off the bike and there was no good rock music playing at the time.

Yama MamaDeals Gapp.jpg

Well babe have I got a story for you!

After 22 years of mirage then divorce, we remain friend fiends, my X asked me to take her for a ride... Now I've had a few honnies on the back since but there is nothing like being with the one that knows you best, when relaxed!

Apart from my recent trips over my own wisdom's, I can say with certainty that riding with the woman that knows you best, is the best, of riding;)

Maybe I have some input here,,, I was going to say wisdom, for others may argue that point.

For the passenger to really enjoy the part of riding,,, not just the scenery, but the actual thing of riding, they must be first fully trained, how to get on, off, lean etc. Once that has been accomplished they must then allow the rider to ride and guide the the whole process. In other words, they must sit there like a sack of potatoes and RELAX!!!. Any input from the passenger will screw up the rider and the ride and hence make it very uncomfortable for the passenger. If the passenger doesn't trust the rider 100% then that will be transposed into the ride itself, for the passenger will be tense to some degree and have inputs, like failing to stay in line with the bike as a sack of potatoes would. Even a small deflection from what is required will be detrimental to a smooth corner and will cause the rider to make adjustments that will make it a choppy experience and hence also un-nerve the passenger making for a more interesting experience at the next juncture.

So trust is one item, knowing the rider also helps and in due time, if enough time has been spent on the bike together, the passenger will automatically swing with the rider and become part of 'one', so there are not to items on the bike, but one. What a wonderful experience that can be.

I have experienced both, those who need to control and those who sit behind me with no worry in the world. It very important to the enjoyment and safety of riding for the passenger to let themselves be guided and controlled by somebody else, if not,, the experience is limited and can be dangerous.

Maybe I have some input here,,, I was going to say wisdom, for others may argue that point.

For the passenger to really enjoy the part of riding,,, not just the scenery, but the actual thing of riding, they must be first fully trained, how to get on, off, lean etc. Once that has been accomplished they must then allow the rider to ride and guide the the whole process. In other words, they must sit there like a sack of potatoes and RELAX!!!. Any input from the passenger will screw up the rider and the ride and hence make it very uncomfortable for the passenger. If the passenger doesn't trust the rider 100% then that will be transposed into the ride itself, for the passenger will be tense to some degree and have inputs, like failing to stay in line with the bike as a sack of potatoes would. Even a small deflection from what is required will be detrimental to a smooth corner and will cause the rider to make adjustments that will make it a choppy experience and hence also un-nerve the passenger making for a more interesting experience at the next juncture.

So trust is one item, knowing the rider also helps and in due time, if enough time has been spent on the bike together, the passenger will automatically swing with the rider and become part of 'one', so there are not to items on the bike, but one. What a wonderful experience that can be.

I have experienced both, those who need to control and those who sit behind me with no worry in the world. It very important to the enjoyment and safety of riding for the passenger to let themselves be guided and controlled by somebody else, if not,, the experience is limited and can be dangerous.

Funny you mention the "sack of potatoes" that how taters got her name...for years , I would have to reach back with my hand to touch her leg to see if SHE was still back there. She is the BEST PARTNER to ride with.. Always glad to hear her call out "deer".....She saved our butts a few times over the years.

Funny you mention the "sack of potatoes" that how taters got her name...for years , I would have to reach back with my hand to touch her leg to see if SHE was still back there. She is the BEST PARTNER to ride with.. Always glad to hear her call out "deer".....She saved our butts a few times over the years.[/quoteHi Big Tom,

Maybe Vicki was just yelling out calling you Dear! Just kidding. I have seen deer many times when Ron did not, so I know exactly what you mean.

Yama Mama

When we first married I had the Madura and at the time it was a "big bike" but Kim was never really comfortable on it so we didnt ride much together. Then our daughter was born and Kim spent all her spare time with her. Once Tine was older and off on her own, Kim wanted to ride again, so I looked for a bike that was all about her comfort, and the first gen was the ticket. Found this site and we rode to every MD and Meet-n-Eat we could. Then 4day trips up to 10day trips usually just the 2 of us, we had some really great times. Moved on to a beautiful 06 black cherry, alot lower and much easier to flatfoot, we toured up and down the East Coast, met alot of great people and saw some beautiful places. It has always been an adventure and my co-pilot has made it alot more fun. She is more comfortable if I go alittle slower, take the turns alittle easier and take a break after about 2hrs in the saddle, and I dont mind at all. I still like to jump on the Madura by myself, crack the throttle thru the gears and wind thru the turns faster then I should, but on a long trip it is always more fun with Kim on the back. Hope we get the chance to enjoy alittle more seat time this summer.

Craig

It has been around 35 years since there has been a passenger on any of my bikes. Erika was in a BAD bike crash as a teenager that had her in the hospital for 3 months, It was right after a "Watch this". She has been terrified to get on any other bike since. This is one of the reasons that I sold my bike since I like being with her but that means 4 wheels. I am kind of looking to get a small fast convertible to still have the acceleration and wind in my hair.

I guess the whole point of my post is that being a passenger is a totally different perspective than being in the driver seat.

I suppose I am trying to explain to those guys who do not understand why their wives and girlfriends do not feel comfortable on the back of their bikes.

I have always been comfortable. We have had many close calls. I have learned many good prayers to use in really bad situations. I remember one time coming home from SKID's house in WV, when we were caught in a torrential downpour. So bad we could not see anything ahead of us. All I remember seeing was the raging stream of water along the side of the road. There have been many times I was relying on Ron's skills and the word of God.

So I guess it is different for all of us. Even though I have been through some really difficult situations I have continued to enjoy riding our bike. I suppose I will know when I no longer should be a passenger. Bikes 002.jpg

Yama Mama

Funny you mention the "sack of potatoes" that how taters got her name...for years , I would have to reach back with my hand to touch her leg to see if SHE was still back there. She is the BEST PARTNER to ride with.. Always glad to hear her call out "deer".....She saved our butts a few times over the years.[/quoteHi Big Tom,

Maybe Vicki was just yelling out calling you Dear! Just kidding. I have seen deer many times when Ron did not, so I know exactly what you mean.

Yama Mama

Once in Maine, she kept yelling MOOSE..MOOSE...MOOSE...it didn't connect until she screamed DEER ................WOW those things are big....Even if it was only a metal rusted imitation.....NOW, EVERYTHING IS CALLED OUT AS DEER! lol

Once in Maine, she kept yelling MOOSE..MOOSE...MOOSE...it didn't connect until she screamed DEER ................WOW those things are big....Even if it was only a metal rusted imitation.....NOW, EVERYTHING IS CALLED OUT AS DEER! lol

Even if she sees a donkey? Just wondered. They are all animals and some are larger than others. We were so close to a deer one time I swear I could of petted it.

Yama MamaMoose.jpeg

Even if she sees a donkey? Just wondered. They are all animals and some are larger than others. We were so close to a deer one time I swear I could of petted it.

Yama Mamahttps://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118409

So how does one 'donkey' in Yumergos,,, isn't that something like moT? or if it's a little donkey,,,eimmoT?