CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: coolant blowout

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    Pic came out fine Cap!! Definitely a smudge fit but DEFINITELY not gonna be able to reuse IMHO.. Looks in pretty rough shape.. Alternatives that I can see would be:
    - Replace what ever part the nipple came out of.. (EXPENSIVE AND TIME CONSUMING)ni
    - Find a parts bike and carefully remove nipple- install in your scoot (I am fairly confident that the nipple has never been available seperated from its mounting area).
    - Measure the I.D. of the hole where the nip came from. Pick up a pipe tap of the size you measured and a replacement nipple that is threaded from a hardware/lumberyard store.. Get copper replacement.. Carefully tap the area using grease on the tap to collect shavings as you tap it out.. Make sense?

A couple pics of the area where the nipple went in and surrounding area would be awesome and helpful in making good suggestions..
    yah, I think the tap sounds like the way to go, so i'm off to the hardware store. i'm sure glad you mentioned the grease on the tap, I would have never thought of that. I had to tap the drain bolt in the oil pan of my van cause I striped it. Wish I would have know about that grease trick then. I ended up flushing the oil twice just to be safe cause I knew there would be some shavings in it. That little trick would have saved me some cash on oil. Want to thank you and everyone on here for the help. Hopefully my next post will be "Got er goin" oh yah one other thing. After I get it put back together and flush it, Can I run it without a tstat like you can a car for a couple of weeks. They wanted 60 bucks for the tstat and don't get paid for a couple weeks

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a search on this forum for thermostat cross reference and buy a t-stat from NAPA or whatever auto parts store you use. I replaced my t-stat and used an auto unit and it only cost me a few bucks. Been working fine for three years.

Checked my old notes and came up with: NAPA #156 and Stant #13758 .

Jim
    Last edited by Jayceesfolly; 02-08-2020 at 01:29 AM.
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

3. Likes Patch liked this post
    United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it were me, I'd try and tap and replace the broken nipple, replace the hose, and give it a whirl. That hose / fitting was probably your source of antifreeze loss over the past months. (I can't believe you didn't smell it). These bikes generally run right at the red mark, so unless it's going over, your water pump and thermostat might be working just fine. You take the thermostat apart, you will probably need to replace the oring. Personally I would not run without a thermostat, but I do not know if there would be harm. Good luck with your tap, keep us posted.

5. Likes Patch liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerPJ View Post
    If it were me, I'd try and tap and replace the broken nipple, replace the hose, and give it a whirl. That hose / fitting was probably your source of antifreeze loss over the past months. (I can't believe you didn't smell it). These bikes generally run right at the red mark, so unless it's going over, your water pump and thermostat might be working just fine. You take the thermostat apart, you will probably need to replace the oring. Personally I would not run without a thermostat, but I do not know if there would be harm. Good luck with your tap, keep us posted.
    i'm getting there, spent the last two days running all over town getting a proper tap and copper sleeve. Just now got the new hose put on, still have to bolt the rear frame back up then i'll tackle the tstat tomorrow. That will be great if I can get one at napa. Taps were 27 buck at ace and I bought two of them. The unused one I can take back though it was too big

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take pics or you'll be in the muthouse.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    Do a search on this forum for thermostat cross reference and buy a t-stat from NAPA or whatever auto parts store you use. I replaced my t-stat and used an auto unit and it only cost me a few bucks. Been working fine for three years.

Jim
    Thanks for checking that for me. I'll give it a shot at napa. That is where I ended up getting the hose, they even had one with almost the exact same bend in it.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Take pics or you'll be in the muthouse.
    don't want to be in the mutthouse, everyone on here has been totally cool and helpful. in fact when the trail is over definitely going to join. don't have a lot of money but that membership is so cheap anyone can afford that.

10. Likes SpencerPJ liked this post
    United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, get a new o-ring for t-stat cover. They are usually old and brittle. You can take it to Lowe's or Home Depot and match it. Much cheaper than ordering thru Mama Yama.

Jim
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    Also, get a new o-ring for t-stat cover. They are usually old and brittle. You can take it to Lowe's or Home Depot and match it. Much cheaper than ordering thru Mama Yama.

Jim
    About to get started on the tstat. Last couple days driving all around town getting parts was rough on my van. need to change a rod in that this summer started knock pretty bad. so anyway after reading the manual, tell me if I am getting this right it looks like I can run it with the coolant petcock in the on position and just bypass the tstat.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	petcock.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	118397

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I think my meds are corrupting my thoughts?
    Here's how the email notice looks:

"---Quote (Originally by Jayceesfolly)---

Jim
    ---End Quote---
    About to get started on the tstat. Last couple days driving all around town getting parts was rough on my van. need to change a rod in that this summer started knock pretty bad. so anyway after reading the manual, tell me if I am getting this right it looks like I can run it with the coolant petcock in the on position and just bypass the tstat."

Now if I'm being honest about my train of thoughts then Yama Mama in her leathers interrupted my honest natural logical problem solving ways and; my answer would have to be: No! The o-ring would lead to frustration and the T-stat would get suck in the closed position causing an over heating condition, which most likely would cause another ruptured hose and; a stroke plus, a serve knock after heat exhausting and then a collapse of the cardiovascular internals, pretty sure anyways?

Be careful

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I think my meds are corrupting my thoughts?
    Here's how the email notice looks:

"---Quote (Originally by Jayceesfolly)---

Jim
    ---End Quote---
    About to get started on the tstat. Last couple days driving all around town getting parts was rough on my van. need to change a rod in that this summer started knock pretty bad. so anyway after reading the manual, tell me if I am getting this right it looks like I can run it with the coolant petcock in the on position and just bypass the tstat."

Now if I'm being honest about my train of thoughts then Yama Mama in her leathers interrupted my honest natural logical problem solving ways and; my answer would have to be: No! The o-ring would lead to frustration and the T-stat would get suck in the closed position causing an over heating condition, which most likely would cause another ruptured hose and; a stroke plus, a serve knock after heat exhausting and then a collapse of the cardiovascular internals, pretty sure anyways?

Be careful
    I think we are on the same page. I'm thinking the tstat being stuck, is probably what caused the hose to blow in the first place so I need to get a new one? Did you read that clip from the manual. Does that tell me that I could safely run it up to napa to get a new one with the petcock in the on position?

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Venture Capitalist View Post
    I think we are on the same page. I'm thinking the tstat being stuck, is probably what caused the hose to blow in the first place so I need to get a new one? Did you read that clip from the manual. Does that tell me that I could safely run it up to napa to get a new one with the petcock in the on position?

Yes you can assemble the complete system to a factory design closed unit. Just keep the Tstat out of the loop and run it as tho it was there for a short period of time, as you mentioned! Don't take in heavy traffic cause the rad won't have time to cool the flow as it will continue to circulate!

As for the bit about Yama Mama,,,, well lets just say no we are not on the same page but you are new here and haven't been exposed to Mama's taunts, yet

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you can assemble the complete system to a factory design closed unit. Just keep the Tstat out of the loop and run it as tho it was there for a short period of time, as you mentioned! Don't take in heavy traffic cause the rad won't have time to cool the flow as it will continue to circulate!

As for the bit about Yama Mama,,,, well lets just say no we are not on the same page but you are new here and haven't been exposed to Mama's taunts, yet
    lol ok not sure if I want to be exposed to Mama's taunts yet

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as to make sure you understand the petcock must be in the close position, otherwise the system will continue to drain out!

So you effect the repairs. the system has integrity (able to loop without leaks) which will cool the heads and cylinders; however and for a short time, the rad will not be able to cool the fluid efficiently as the time needed to do so is, provided by the thermostat!

If there was no even flow then you would warp the heads, stretch the timing chain, fry the rings, coke the journals, and the engine will knock.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So as to make sure you understand the petcock must be in the close position, otherwise the system will continue to drain out!

So you effect the repairs. the system has integrity (able to loop without leaks) which will cool the heads and cylinders; however and for a short time, the rad will not be able to cool the fluid efficiently as the time needed to do so is, provided by the thermostat!

If there was no even flow then you would warp the heads, stretch the timing chain, fry the rings, coke the journals, and the engine will knock.
    ok yah got it running yesterday. went to the bank and from there was on the way to napa and felt the water leaking a bit on my leg so I stopped refilled it and came home. it was coming from the hose I installed because the hose clamp wasn't tight enough I guess. it is in such a cockeyed position only way for me to turn it is with needle nose. anyway during that ride it was running cooler that it ever has with the petcock in the on position bypassing the tstat. Let me get this straight. once I make sure the leak is 100% gone, it will be ok to ride it up to napa and back with it in the on position right.

I also want to say thanks to everyone who helped with their advice to get this accomplished. By the way isn't there a way to post on this thread without having to click reply with quotes?

And to keep me out of the mutthouse with jaycees I just took a couple pics of the ol girl
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	118404Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	69.8 KB 
ID:	118405

19. Likes BlueSky liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast