AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: coolant blowout

Quote Originally Posted by Venture Capitalist View Post
    ok yah got it running yesterday. went to the bank and from there was on the way to napa and felt the water leaking a bit on my leg so I stopped refilled it and came home. it was coming from the hose I installed because the hose clamp wasn't tight enough I guess. it is in such a cockeyed position only way for me to turn it is with needle nose. anyway during that ride it was running cooler that it ever has with the petcock in the on position bypassing the tstat. Let me get this straight. once I make sure the leak is 100% gone, it will be ok to ride it up to napa and back with it in the on position right.

I also want to say thanks to everyone who helped with their advice to get this accomplished. By the way isn't there a way to post on this thread without having to click reply with quotes?

And to keep me out of the mutthouse with jaycees I just took a couple pics of the ol girl
    https://www.venturerider.org/forum/a...hmentid=118404https://www.venturerider.org/forum/a...hmentid=118405

Calling for a full stop at this moment!

The above is not a trick sequence; it is Japaneses translated to English!

If you open the cock then you are in drain mode.. As I mentioned you must make the systm close as tho it is in a constant loope powered by the water pump! Which the means the water pump does not interfere!

Fix the know problems then operate the unit as tho it is complete and a close system without the Tstast!

No leaks and the pump circulates the fluid thru the complete engine!
    The reading is not acurate as the system is not flowing correctly at this moment, as you describe!

You run the risk of over heating the heads so stop!

When the system is in a loop there is no air and it is completing its complete run!
    The only thing is that the Tstast is missing so the rad while part of the loop can not cool the fluid, because it does not stall in the rad! It continues to travel thru rather than stand still and get cooled!

So fill and tighten the system, then try the part number posted and away you go!

For posting without quoting just look for the Reply To Thread blue button at the top or end of each thread No Worries Bro we'd like you stick around..K

and bring your friends cause we don't care what you ride we care how you ride!

That means the valve is in running mode not in drain mode!

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on your progress, nice looking bike. Yes, on my computer, one option is 'reply with quote', another option is simply, 'reply to thread'.

Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Which the means the water pump does not interfere!"

That should read Tstat not pump, sorry!

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerPJ View Post
    Congrats on your progress, nice looking bike. Yes, on my computer, one option is 'reply with quote', another option is simply, 'reply to thread'.
    Yours looks pretty much the same you just don't have the saddlebags on it. With my van running the way it is have to keep mine on, I always end up carrying things. Going to go out there now and finish up. Thought it was leaking because I didn't have my hose clamp tight enough but it is actually coming up from the sleeve I put in there. I tap about 10 threads but when I put the sleeve in was so worried about going to far and stripping it probably only went in about 3 or 4 of them. now i'm going to mark just how far the tap goes then put a mark on the sleeve should have done that in the first place.

5. Likes SpencerPJ liked this post
    Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yours looks pretty much the same you just don't have the saddlebags on it. With my van running the way it is have to keep mine on, I always end up carrying things. Going to go out there now and finish up. Thought it was leaking because I didn't have my hose clamp tight enough but it is actually coming up from the sleeve I put in there. I tap about 10 threads but when I put the sleeve in was so worried about going to far and stripping it probably only went in about 3 or 4 of them. now i'm going to mark just how far the tap goes then put a mark on the sleeve should have done that in the first place.
    I'd use pipe dope or Teflon tape

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I'd use pipe dope or Teflon tape
    yeah should have thought of that. too late now just finished. I did put silicon around the outside and going to let it dry overnight before I put any water in it

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    Do a search on this forum for thermostat cross reference and buy a t-stat from NAPA or whatever auto parts store you use. I replaced my t-stat and used an auto unit and it only cost me a few bucks. Been working fine for three years.

Checked my old notes and came up with: NAPA #156 and Stant #13758 .

Jim
    Alright I got er together and running with no leaks. I called the local napa and nothing came up when running my bike for compatible tstats. so I asked them if there is any way for them to check if #157 is compatible. they told me they couldn't check that but that is for a volvo. is that the one you are talking about, should I go ahead and order it?

9. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did a little searching.

This thread says Napa #455318
    https://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...act-dupl-cheap

This says napa THM156
    https://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...Gen-Thermostat

This says a THM111 Napa runs a bit cooler
    https://www.venturerider.org/forum/s...ght=thermostat

11. Thanks Patch gave thanks for this post
    Likes Patch liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow when napa said they would have to order it thought it would take a while. they said ok it will be here in 2 hours. I ordered the 455318 because it said exact duplicate. hope it works I think he had a 87 hopefully it's the same one

13. Likes cowpuc liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went and got the tstat from napa. Not sure if I need to put it in, on the ride there and back (might have been my imagination) I think the temp gauge came down a little from it's hottest point, which I think would mean the tstat was working. Since I got that bike it has always ran really hot. Everyone says they do run hot. My temp gauge works, when I got it, it go up to just a tiny bit below the red. Since then I had to take the speedometer out to grease the cable(what a god awful noise that started making) and when I put it back together it doesn't go that high but I know it's not because the engine isn't getting as hot it's how I lined the gauge back up when putting it in. So I guess the best way to ask is, in the middle of winter does it get so hot that you calves get really hot just sitting on the foot pegs?

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess the best way to ask is, in the middle of winter does it get so hot that you calves get really hot just sitting on the foot pegs?
    No idea, I don't ride in wintertime. But in summertime, with shorts on, I don't find it hot at all unless I've been riding, it's a hot day, and I'm in stopped traffic. Does your fan come on?

Since then I had to take the speedometer out to grease the cable(what a god awful noise that started making)
    Yup, Know that sound... there are some good threads in this Forum on how people have lubed them.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No idea, I don't ride in wintertime. But in summertime, with shorts on, I don't find it hot at all unless I've been riding, it's a hot day, and I'm in stopped traffic. Does your fan come on?

Yup, Know that sound... there are some good threads in this Forum on how people have lubed them.
    ok so that tells me I better go put that new tstat in mine must be running way to hot, I couldn't imagine trying to ride with shorts on. When i'm riding and it's in the 40's I have to put my feet up on the highway pegs every chance I get to keep my calves from burning up. I don't know if the fan comes on properly when it should. I do know that it works. I read thread on here on how to hot wire to see if it works and it did.

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not one of the smart ones to give advise, I'm a middle aged student in training . But those who have suggested you might have a water pump problem, hence a circulation problem, they very well might be spot on. Also, I do not know where the temp units gets it's reading, but if you still have that bypass closed, who knows? I always though the TStats job was to raise to stop circulation until determined operating temperature then open to allow circulation. NO Tstat should run very cool. Hopefully Puc or Patch will jump back in with advise.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, I got it done. Got the new tstat in and its running cooler that it ever has. Guess I was lucky to drive it around for two years like that and have nothing worse than a blown hose happen. I want to thank everyone on here for all the great advice. You guys are the best, couldn't have done it without you. I do have one more question though. When I replaced the tstat I accidently made my bike into a Yamahog. It's really loud because I was afraid to tighten the pipes down to hard, thinking it was going into aluminum. Just realized that what I was doing was just putting the nuts on the end of the studs coming out. So should I go ahead and tighten those down as hard as I can? I do have a torque wrench but they a Allan's that i'm working with there.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not crank on the exhaust bolts, just a good snug; equally. Next time you go to harbor freight, get some metric allen sockets, very handy. Glad you are almost there , You'll like this forum, best $12 I spend each year, I couldn't keep my old girl running without it.

20. Likes Patch liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast