IGNORED

Jacking Up My TC

So I got the chance to work on the bike for a couple of hours and learn how to properly take things apart. I finally had the guts to jack it up Last Friday night and I observed that there is a whole lot more weight on the rear. The reason being... I have a J&S jack and I can tell that the jack had more weight to support towards the rear of the bike as opposed to the front. As I was lifting it up, the front wheel is already 3 inches off the ground while the rear tire is just about to clear the ground. With this, I decided to add additional lift using a car jack positioned in the center of the rear of the frame for peace of mind. I really need to lift the bike off the ground in order to clean the rear wheels.

Does anyone have another way to lift the TC safely ? Sorry - I get carried away taking too many pics. [emoji16]

e15dca49efb8143278ec5efeb838d5f9.jpg83df864e66d3af0eb0a1614b29421a52.jpg6813f68b70ed48ad5bb6af3eabfa0af0.jpge470305d56c4d8de48c4843108ba9926.jpgebb90afbdffbeb1316b35199eef38e53.jpgda6e6171ab4cfd023590f481c400b777.jpg304b4ae6c1a6b01cd2409c563295290b.jpg4159a951ac7806604092a4d08df09df5.jpg246659bafd70cfd85815561d2adb74f3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My jack is already very close to the end of the frame towards the rear. I really can tell there is more weight there. I’ll determine other means the next time I go under. [emoji851] Thank You.

Even an inch will make a big difference in the balance.

My jack is already very close to the end of the frame towards the rear. I really can tell there is more weight there. I’ll determine other means the next time I go under. [emoji851] Thank You.

I have the Pitbull Jack which is similar. While it lifted my 06 Venture well I have the same issue with the weight being more in the back of the bike. I normally put a piece of 1x2 under the back side and tie down (with ratchet straps) the front part of the riser before I even try to lift the bike. That seems to help a lot. Then once in the air I tie down to the base of the stand for more security while I wrench on it.

I'm not familiar with the new venture, but does it have a center stand, or at least a place to mount one?? If it does, that's your center of balance... You might also think about investing in one of those Harbor Freight MC table lifts...

I have the Pitbull Jack which is similar. While it lifted my 06 Venture well I have the same issue with the weight being more in the back of the bike. I normally put a piece of 1x2 under the back side and tie down (with ratchet straps) the front part of the riser before I even try to lift the bike. That seems to help a lot. Then once in the air I tie down to the base of the stand for more security while I wrench on it.

I agree. I have no problem with my '07 as well, when jacking it up using Carbon One's adapter. It is very stable. With the TC, the frame is flat underneath so I think an adapter might not be designed for that and the jack fits perfectly on the bottom. You have the right idea though using straps for peace of mind. I will have to be careful and re-position the jack properly once again on the TC. The 2nd Gens and TCs are completely different. Still lots to learn. ;)

I watched a video on you tube about jacking up an SVTC after reading this.. While the owner was not to savvy in his approach, it did show how much extra weight is on the back ofi the SVTC, he used a similar jack to that of your own = no out riggers for stabilization = at a minimum I would locate a jack with outriggers.. I also stay far away from putting a jack of any form on engine cases or such easily broken expensive parts/pieces, I probably would choose to stabilize with the rearward jack on the shock pivot mount clearly seen in your pics = just another IMHO of course.. A quick glance at the vid below is the example of a jack with out riggers that I use (WOWZY did @videoarizona and I have FUN with the project in the vid!!) = stop at 1:32 in and you can get an idea of what I mean by outriggers if you are having a hard time following my thoughts and dont want to watch all of our craziness..

@cowuc, I forgot how much fun we had that day!

Thank you for the reminder... Love ya, Bro! Hugs to Tip!

Oh...regarding sucking up a very rear end heavy scoot....yep...a lift with outriggers position as far back as frame allows.... Or a full stand lift. And yes, I would also find a way to strap that scoot down to the jack!

I'm not familiar with the new venture, but does it have a center stand, or at least a place to mount one?? If it does, that's your center of balance... You might also think about investing in one of those Harbor Freight MC table lifts...

No center stand, Condor. It might be a matter of time, Carbon One or someone else may fabricate something for the SVTC. I will patiently wait for that. [emoji362]A table lift is worth exploring for any SVTC owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually no the New TC does not have a center stand . It is the heaviest bike I ever owned 957# I haven't even jacked mine up yet

Actually no the New TC does not have a center stand . It is the heaviest bike I ever owned 957# I haven't even jacked mine up yet

957 dry...!! Wow!! If I remember right the RSV comes in at 850#. Plunk my lard ass 300# in the saddle and with gear I'd guess we're pushing a little over 1200#... Thinking about trying to panic stop considering the traction of just two tires is kinda scary.. What were we talking about?? Oh yeah.. Jacking up a TC.. Harley has a few folks making a center stand for the Road Kings etc. Maybe one could be McGivered to work on the new twin... At 957 lbs you'd be pushing the max weight rating on one of those HF tables. I've always wanted one but never pulled the trigger. I'm now bidding on a 1500# rated table.. Way better that the HB. I'm not riding any longer, but I can still wrench... Just having a tough time getting back up after sitting....

957 dry...!! Wow!! If I remember right the RSV comes in at 850#. Plunk my lard ass 300# in the saddle and with gear I'd guess we're pushing a little over 1200#... Thinking about trying to panic stop considering the traction of just two tires is kinda scary.. What were we talking about?? Oh yeah.. Jacking up a TC.. Harley has a few folks making a center stand for the Road Kings etc. Maybe one could be McGivered to work on the new twin... At 957 lbs you'd be pushing the max weight rating on one of those HF tables. I've always wanted one but never pulled the trigger. I'm now bidding on a 1500# rated table.. Way better that the HB. I'm not riding any longer, but I can still wrench... Just having a tough time getting back up after sitting....

INDEED!! Thinking out loud here but with those kind of numbers I am not surprised at the lack of centerstand. Who could lift it onto the stand? Especially when packed out for touring.. Also makes one wonder what riding one down with a flat tire will be like.. Also like you mentioned about braking, especially considering the small "patch" of connection to the road that a bike tire makes on its radius of contact patch.. Think I would look very carefully at swapping on a car tire and going dark side if I had one.. IMHO,, your giving good advice on jacking apparatuses here @Condor.. For sure I would not use a bike jack without the outriggers considering the weight we are talking.. It dont take much side to side movement when talking those kind of numbers to end up mouse trapped.. Also, speaking table lifts,, remember that you still have to lift the bike up on the table lift to swap tires and such.. While you can remove the "trap door" then crib up under the scoot to use the table as a jack, doing so can be just as iffy as a floor jack with no outriggers if your not careful..

INDEED!! Thinking out loud here but with those kind of numbers I am not surprised at the lack of centerstand. Who could lift it onto the stand? Especially when packed out for touring.. Also makes one wonder what riding one down with a flat tire will be like.. Also like you mentioned about braking, especially considering the small "patch" of connection to the road that a bike tire makes on its radius of contact patch.. Think I would look very carefully at swapping on a car tire and going dark side if I had one.. IMHO,, your giving good advice on jacking apparatuses here Condor.. For sure I would not use a bike jack without the outriggers considering the weight we are talking.. It dont take much side to side movement when talking those kind of numbers to end up mouse trapped.. Also, speaking table lifts,, remember that you still have to lift the bike up on the table lift to swap tires and such.. While you can remove the "trap door" then crib up under the scoot to use the table as a jack, doing so can be just as iffy as a floor jack with no outriggers if your not careful..

The nice thing is that it has anti-lock brakes which I've experienced with a dog situation. The Venture Tour Deluxe I had could lock the brakes easily. I think the SVTC does a great job at braking, at lease so far. Is you've mentioned cowpuc I am about to put on the 2nd rear tire after 12K mi (of which I'm impressed with as my experience with my '06 VTD was 7K at best). This one I will do the same rear tire but afterwards I will probably go dark with a run flat. With table lift you should be in great shape with a crib setup after you tie down the front end. I don't have any outriggers on my pitbull jack and once tied down it seams very stable but I like the idea. I have an old bed frame I may be able to make some, need to give that some thought.

The nice thing is that it has anti-lock brakes which I've experienced with a dog situation. The Venture Tour Deluxe I had could lock the brakes easily. I think the SVTC does a great job at braking, at lease so far. Is you've mentioned cowpuc I am about to put on the 2nd rear tire after 12K mi (of which I'm impressed with as my experience with my '06 VTD was 7K at best). This one I will do the same rear tire but afterwards I will probably go dark with a run flat. With table lift you should be in great shape with a crib setup after you tie down the front end. I don't have any outriggers on my pitbull jack and once tied down it seams very stable but I like the idea. I have an old bed frame I may be able to make some, need to give that some thought.

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW!! 12k out of rear tire is nothing to scoff at from my limited experience. How much of that was on desert temp desert conditions riding Home? I did a fair amount of desert touring (flaw in my charector = LOVE the deserts) on my 1st Gens and never got better than 6k out of a rear.. That would be running two up, fully packed out with tent on back = usually most of the rear tire was deposited on the back of the bags from the hot tarmac. Could never find a CT that would fit (came close = see vid) but wanted to = Jake (guy in the vid with the Wing) got 20k plus on his CT running plenty of desert region (lives in Texas).. Would have liked to have tried one. I also spent a fair amount of time on a Stratoliner (similar motor to your SVTC) that belonged to my nephew and he was averaging about 4k on a rear tire on his that we always attributed to the massive torque every time she fired.. Maybe the dual balance shaft and extra alternator your bike incorporates takes some of the hit to the back wheel when compared to the Strat - no idea's on the dyno numbers in comparing the two but seems logical.

One of things that always concerned me with no Center Stand would be what to do if a flat happened on tour/on highway.. How would I get the thing in the air to swap on a new tire or repair an old one.. I am sure most folks now adays just call a tow truck but what if I were out in the middle of nowhere in the desert.. Never owned one of the 1800 Wings but help a broken down one out west one time with a flat.. Pretty cool as we just laid the bike down on its side, removed the axle center nut and pulled the wheel off.. My 1st Gens ya had to center stand em, unclip the right rear bag and pull the wheel.. Not sure about roadside on the SVTC..

I am so geezerly I forgot all about anti-locks!! Ohh yeah,,, you got no concerns there my friend!! ANTI LOCKS ROCK!! They definitely take a lot of guess work out of the equation,, especially nice in a could be crisis like you mention!! ROCK ON!!

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW!! 12k out of rear tire is nothing to scoff at from my limited experience. How much of that was on desert temp desert conditions riding Home?

That's riding in Houston year round. I do a lot of travel for the company and have been on the road about 14 weeks spread out through the year with no riding. I pretty much ride in all weather. I just don't ride when rain is predicted at more than 40%, an agreement with the wife. My round trip to work is a little over 80 miles so that where the majority of the riding time comes from. We did 2200 mi trip out to the Big Bend Tx area in early May and had a blast. there's a great road along the Rio that was a lot of fun. Also had fun in the Davis mountains.

I was thrilled with 12K on the factory tire. I too am used to about 6K on a read tire. I've put on 3 rear tires a couple of years. Wend dark on the 06 venture and had 18K on it when I broke down on a trip. They would not work on it with a CT so I had to buy an MC too. Sold it soon after that to buy the SVTC.

INDEED!! Thinking out loud here but with those kind of numbers I am not surprised at the lack of centerstand. Who could lift it onto the stand? Especially when packed out for touring.. Also makes one wonder what riding one down with a flat tire will be like.. Also like you mentioned about braking, especially considering the small "patch" of connection to the road that a bike tire makes on its radius of contact patch.. Think I would look very carefully at swapping on a car tire and going dark side if I had one.. IMHO,, your giving good advice on jacking apparatuses here @Condor.. For sure I would not use a bike jack without the outriggers considering the weight we are talking.. It dont take much side to side movement when talking those kind of numbers to end up mouse trapped.. Also, speaking table lifts,, remember that you still have to lift the bike up on the table lift to swap tires and such.. While you can remove the "trap door" then crib up under the scoot to use the table as a jack, doing so can be just as iffy as a floor jack with no outriggers if your not careful..

One of the first thing I noticed is is has a HUGE rear tire .. same exact one I believe that is on new goldwings .. Size:

200W55R16M/C. 77H

Manufacturer/model

BridgestoneG852 Radial J (T/L)

Now I tell ya I am a big man and with me my wife and cargo we haven't had any trouble stopping it stops amazing the anti-lock and the integrated brakes works very smooth .. I know a lot of guys have went darkside on the bigger bikes but I dont really understand the point in it . Because bike tires are specifically compounded to give increased traction they have stuff in the rubber like grit while leaning in curves for ex. Where a car only has 1 rubber compound through out .

That's riding in Houston year round. I do a lot of travel for the company and have been on the road about 14 weeks spread out through the year with no riding. I pretty much ride in all weather. I just don't ride when rain is predicted at more than 40%, an agreement with the wife. My round trip to work is a little over 80 miles so that where the majority of the riding time comes from. We did 2200 mi trip out to the Big Bend Tx area in early May and had a blast. there's a great road along the Rio that was a lot of fun. Also had fun in the Davis mountains.

I was thrilled with 12K on the factory tire. I too am used to about 6K on a read tire. I've put on 3 rear tires a couple of years. Wend dark on the 06 venture and had 18K on it when I broke down on a trip. They would not work on it with a CT so I had to buy an MC too. Sold it soon after that to buy the SVTC.

So How Ya like the SVTC? ..I love mine other than I dont like the seat.. I am gonna get me a corbin I think .. I have never felt like factory seats are made for guys that weight above 200. And I am a good bit above that .. have u figured out and highway pegs that work. ?

So How Ya like the SVTC? ..I love mine other than I dont like the seat.. I am gonna get me a corbin I think .. I have never felt like factory seats are made for guys that weight above 200. And I am a good bit above that .. have u figured out and highway pegs that work. ?

I'm loving it overall. I picked it up the last week of April 2019 so that's roughly 9.5 months and 12K miles on it. I'm pushing 265 and the seat actually feels pretty good to me right now although I've thought about a Corbin. I'm also short at 5'6 - 5'7 on a good day and the bike just seems to fit better than any other full faring bike I've ridden. I've rented Gold Wings, Ultras and Chieftain/Roadmasters and never felt fully comfortable at a stop as I was on my toes or one foot a lot. But I'm used to that as I've been riding since I was 6. I can have both feet flat with the SVTC. Even though the bike hits 950+ lbs I think t handles more like something around 700+ lbs. I find it pretty nimble and I've scrapped the floor boards a few times and pushed it through some twisties leaning off the seat a few times. I like the way it handles to say the least. The headlight setup with the lower running lights is great in the vast dark of the country areas with no moon light. My wife complains about a lot of wind buffeting above 60 so I'm looking for a wider windshield, maybe with curve at the top. I believe Freebird posted about one earlier so I'll be searching for that thread soon, need to payoff a new roof first. I sit mostly in Touring mode but when I flip the switch the Sport mode is a lot of fun. I really haven't packed it down yet as when we went to Big Bend (2200 mi trip) we had a chase car so I cannot speak to that. 12K on the rear tire is the first time I've ever hit that or even came close on an MC. I'll put one more of the factory tire type on it mainly for warranty concerns and will then look to go dark. I'm looking forward to many many miles on this bike. BTW not sure if anyone follows LonghaulPaul but Yamaha is sponsoring his SVTC and he just passed 100K miles in under 20 months on the bike. Here are his thoughts on Facebook's Venture/Eluder page https://www.facebook.com/groups/781935901987573/?post_id=1490849797762843.