IGNORED

Is there a Doctor in the house?

Freebird

That's what we are missing on the forum, a DOCTOR. OK, here is the story. About a year or so ago, my wife started going to the roller rink just about a mile and a half from our house. She used to ice skate years ago and decided that she wanted to try roller skating as it is really good exercise. She has asked me to go but I've, smartly I think, always declined.

About two weeks ago, I finally gave in and agreed to give it a try. Surprisingly, I did much better than I expected to. I have never skated, even when I was a kid, so it was totally new to me. I admit that I fell a couple of times but I got it down fairly quickly. Since then, I've been a few times. I think that yesterday was the 5 time I had been. I got there yesterday and didn't feel as stable as I normally did but was doing OK. I decided to go outside for some fresh air as I do every time. As I was standing there on the concrete pad beside the front door, my feet suddenly went out from under me. I was probably two or tree feet from the cinder block wall of the building and as my feet went forward out from under me, the back of my head slammed against the cinder block wall. It happened so fast that I don't know exactly what happened. It stunned me but didn't knock me out.

So I was laying there on my back. My wife was asking me if I was ok. I told her to just give me a couple of minutes and I would be fine. What I didn't tell her at that time though was that I couldn't move my arms or hands. My arms were extended by my sides. I couldn't feel them or move them at all. I couldn't even wiggle my fingers. I was trying hard to get my fingers to move but there was no feeling at all. I laid there for about 30 or more seconds, basically trying to WILL my fingers to move, and finally one of them did just a bit. After a minute or so, I was finally able to start wiggling them a bit and then pretty soon after that, I could move my arms and hands again. So I got up and got myself composed and was pretty much OK. I had a knot on the back of my head and some minor bleeding but otherwise, not too bad. I decided that I was done skating for the day. My wife suggested that I go home and lay down for a bit so that's what I did. When I got in the truck and my back touched the seat, it felt slightly like there were thousand of needles sticking me. When I got home I took off my shirt and when my fingers touched the upper left side of my chest, there was immense pain. Like a thousand tiny and sharp needles sticking me. I literally couldn't touch the left side of my chest without feeling the needles. No bruises or any indication of anything except the pain of needles. I went back to the skating rink about an hour later to pick up my wife and we went to dinner. By the time we got back home, the worse part of that needle pain was finally gone.

I feel much better this morning. My neck is a little sore and I have a big bump and a small scab on the back of my head. The needle pain is gone but when I touch my upper chest, it is very slightly tender.

My question is, what the heck happened. Why were my arms and hands paralyzed. What caused the needle pain on the left side of my back and mostly in my upper left chest. And the bigger question, why would an almost 65 year old man decide that taking up skating is a good idea? That being said, it has now become a challenge and I doubt I'll quit. I will be more careful though.,

why would an almost 65 year old man decide that taking up skating is a good idea?

That is what I was thinking. You like water, take up swimming, awesome exercises. To many people break wrist bones on roller / ice skates, especially us taller ones.

Dr., certainly am not. Might have just been a moment of shock, possible a slight concussion? If you don't feel right, have it checked. You've had other quirky things going on as of late. :beer:

I am also not a doctor (but I have several in my family).

Sorry to hear about the fall. I am your age too and try to avoid things that might cause me to hit the deck.

The numbness and needles do sound nerve related.

I'd suggest going to your GP today and having him/her check you out. Better safe than sorry and you'll certainly get better advice than an internet forum (even one as wonderful as this) can offer.

Feel better.

Definitely sounds like a pinched nerve C5,6, and 7 are where i am having issues. My left hand has been numb/tingly for months and when it was at it's worst the pain in my left shoulder and chest was excruciating. I never lost motor function, but for a while I had no feeling at all in left arm from the elbow down.

Xrays showed the misaligned vertebrae.

My Chiropractor helped immensely.

MRI,, get it read by a good Neuro Surgeon. Vertabre damage causing pressure on nerve bundle in the spine does not always show up or stay problematic when it happens.. Get checked out brother = it's possible doing so could protect you from causing further damage to your back bone/spinal nerves .. The nerves up there in the "C" section of your back control lots of things including those area's you describe.. I would take a copy bof what you wrote to the Neuro Surgeon so he has an exact description of what you felt (or didnt feel) at the time = give him all the info you can..

I was always told the last thing you want to do is lay down and take a nap after a head injury. But it may just be an old wife's tale? After reading about your symptoms I also think you should see a Dr.

But you sure as hell aint gonna listen to me!

Get that checked! Craig

@Freebird

NO IF'S AND'S OR BUTT'S GET TO THE DOCTOR.

My father once fell hitting his against the dry wall (not as hard as concrete) about ten days later he started loosing his balance. Eventually we had to drag him into emergency, in Oakville. From there he was rushed by ambulance to Hamilton General were they discovered internal bleeding had been taking place in his head. They drilled six hole in his skull to relieve the pressure on his brain and told us he may not pull through which thankfully he did. As A biker you should be well aware of how internal head injures show no outward signs. Add to that a neck injury if your neck got kinked during the fall. Also as stated earlier do not overlook the possibility of a cardio event.

GET CHECKED OUT NOW!!! DON'T MESS AROUND!!!

+2 on cardiac symtoms. I was feeling run down and my doctor said it was time foe another visit wuith my cardiologist who I haven't seen in eleven years. He said it was time for another heart catheritation but the last one was clear. Scheduled it for a Friday early proceedure and I was admitted on Thursday evening. Short story is that that evening I went into cardiac arrest and had CPR done on me (still sore). They did the procedure immediately and put in a stint. That was October 14th and I am so thankful (praise the Lord). If I wasn't in the hospital, I wouldn't be sending this post now.

Forget your bull headed pride and see a doctor.

:farmer:

As I've mentioned I once found a misplaced fire hydrant, since I have had to deal with and maintain my back on a regular bases.

The start of your explanation reminds me of a sync problem and compression issues Don. I go thru this with my left leg not too often but often enough. Now it shifts at times to my right leg. The skating is likely what cause the chain of events.

When I am following my regime my pelvis is steady, if I get laid up for a while my pelvis shifts and the problems start again.

In my case a couple trips to the chiro while I restart my regime is how I deal with.. Its really not hard to rebuild the stabilizers, scissors with a tension band around the knees laying on your side start with 5 reps...

In my early years of training Don we were taught strike locations to immobilize, this sounds very much like what you describe after hitting your head.

There is an inexpensive leg machine called Leg Magic, most guest will try mine and not last 15 sec.. their mind can't seem to sync to the motion!? I am on my second unit as I wore thru the first. If you stick with it and just after a week, you will begin to see and feel a difference! I can also include that the first few times there seems to be a motion sick feeling with beginners, can't say why tho.

And of course Don you need speak to the Doc. Listen we all get periods when the battles are larger than one man. Respect for our age is kind of like accepting how we got here....;)

Of course easy for me to say, still in my 40's

Don, Yes, it is a good idea to have it checked. I broke a vertebrae one time and did not know it, except for some back pain. Found out later, after it healed. I was lucky. The back of the head is very delicate. Roller skated recently on ship, and I fell once. Gave me some sore ribs. They made everyone wear protective equipment, and there were no walls. When I fell, I heard my helmet hit the floor. Thank goodness I had it. I'm 72.

CR1.jpg

Not a doctor but....As we age our bones get more brittle, there's nothing we can do about it, you very well could have cracked/broken a vertebrae. This could have caused the symptoms with your arms. I would be concerned that another slight bump or just turning your head could cause a chip or bone to shift and cause permanent damage.

Sounds like a pinched nerve, which, although it sounds minor, can create some major problems. Best to get it checked out by a doc. That's just my two cents.

As for taking up skating at 65? I took up skating at 16. Did great for nearly a half hour. Then I broke my arm. Haven't had a skating problem since.

Boss,

You "stunned" the nerve bundles in the spine. This shock, will paralyze you for a few minutes, then pain, then things get better....good to go with slight aches.

I would recommend an xray and a talk with the doc just to make sure you didn't crack anything and find yourself in worse trouble later one. You don't want to have some lacerations of the spinal cord either... and not know about it...

Go see a doc....get a check up. We want you around for a while yet!