IGNORED

2001 RSTD whining noise in 4th & 5th gear

That is a very common trait of these motorcycles, all variations of the 4 cylinder Royal Stars from day one 1996 to end of production 2013 had the issue to varying degrees. The issue is the use of straight cut gears. they are much stronger than helical cut gears, but as they say "No good deed goes unpunished", the result is often a noisy gear train. Some have reported getting less noise or at least moving the noise to an RPM range that is less used, by changing the clutch basket, I forget which letter was claimed to be the best, but a quick search on here should net you many results with lots of opinions and anecdotal references.

There is also a post here some place, where a member tapped into the port where I think the oil pressure sensor is with a line than went back into the crank case where the offending gears meshed, he reported the whine was significantly less with the oil flowing on them.

Some have reported that changing oil type and /or viscosity range also helped the noise, by reducing it or changing the RPM range that created the worst noise.

My 1998 Royal Star Tour Classic sounded like it had a blower on it it whined something awful at certain RPMs, then nothing at other RPMs. My Venture did not start whining until around 50,000 miles.

I just noticed that you are in Orlando, I ride with a group of STAR riders out of Orlando, if you want to meet up one month for our ride, PM and I will get you the details.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...