IGNORED

Rusty Guns and Elbow Grease

Condor

My Bro in Montana sent me this video of a rifle restoration. It's a little long but I found it fascinating.

There was a news article about a couple of hunters, during deer season, running across this old 1873 Winchester leaning against a tree high up in the Sierras. From the shape it was in it had been there for a very long time.... Probably since the early 1900's or even before. What a story it could tell.... Anyway, maybe this could be the gun?? The only thing I questioned was the restorer needed to get a large ultrasonic cleaner instead of an oil bath and aggressive tools. That's what I use when dealing with rust on Black Powder revolvers. The rust rolls off overnight and leaves clean metal for the next morning. :thumbsup2:

Hope you enjoy this as much as I did...

Edited by Condor

Enjoyed watching makes you wonder what happened to the person that carried it. Vinegar works for me on rusty m/c parts cleans down to the bear metal overnight. Thanks again for the video.:97:

Yep, If it could only talk... I've used a white vinegar bath diluted to 3% 50/50 with water to clean brass and bronze parts. Generally overnight the patina disappears and they shine again.. Used at 6% before painting any aluminum surface..masts, spars etc.. then rinsed off.. it will etch the surface and give the paint something to adhere to... On MC stuff I generally use 0000 steel wool on the chrome. Wax the plastic... :-)

Yep, If it could only talk... I've used a white vinegar bath diluted to 3% 50/50 with water to clean brass and bronze parts. Generally overnight the patina disappears and they shine again.. Used at 6% before painting any aluminum surface..masts, spars etc.. then rinsed off.. it will etch the surface and give the paint something to adhere to... On MC stuff I generally use 0000 steel wool on the chrome. Wax the plastic... :-)

I don't use the vinegar on chrome either just on steel parts that need reconditioned or repainted.

Wadded up aluminum foil works wonders on rusty chrome. I like it because it doesn't leave steel particulate to rust later.

I've heard that aluminum foil will work but I've never tried it. Never have had a problem with rust from using 0000 steel wool on chrome.