IGNORED

Chevy 5.3 V8

Sylvester

Looking for input on a 2007 Chevy Silverado1500 LTZ crewcab. Local private seller has one with 290k miles. Very nice looking with nice leather interior. I have always been a Ford person but this is pretty nice. My 96 F150 has 260k on the odo so the mileage is not an issue since I need to either put an engine in the Ford or Chevy. I know nothing about Chevy engines so any help is appreciated.

:farmer:

Well I have a 2005 GMC YukonXL with the 5.3, 160k miles, still running fine, very little cost of ownership. Mine is currently starting to put a drip out of rear main seal, nothing major. The 5.3 and 4 speed transmission is a tad sluggish pulling my Travel Trailer, but does ok otherwise. I do like the ride I get with the YukonXL. 290k is nearing the end of it's useful life for sure. For the most part, easy to wrench on as well. I just did wheel bearing/hubs, kinda a pita.

After talking in depth with the owner (original) the engine has had the top end rebuilt and the transmission rebuilt. He has a construction business with seven more Chevy trucks some having 400k. A real honest gentleman and he drove this truck.

In June I traded in my 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab for a 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 Crew Cab. Both have the 5.3 V8 . My 2006 had 246,000 miles when I traded it in. The lifters were beginning to clatter the last couple thousand miles. Only work done on the motor was tune ups and oil changes every 3000 miles. Still had the original water pump and hoses.

I haven't owned one but from what I've read the 5.3L V8 is a very reliable engine pre-VVT. When they added variable valve timing, I think the cam/lifters became a serious issue.

Rev 1 I did some web surfing and the problems seem to occur with the AFM, active fuel management or cylinder deactivation. Lots of discussions about this on the internet.

Edited by BlueSky

I have always loved the small block Chevys and have had 327's 350's and a 400. They were all good engines and were run very hard in my time. Between a 350 and then a warmed over 327, I put about 156,000 miles on a 72 240Z Datsun I built. That was a fun car.

The replacement has been the LS series engines and I have heard good about them. This is one of the popular upgrades for Miata conversions. I believe the aluminum block version 5.3 actually weighs less than the Miata iron block 4 cylinder. You can buy a crate engine 5.3 with up to 525 HP. That makes a Miata run pretty good.

Randy

I have always loved the small block Chevys and have had 327's 350's and a 400. They were all good engines and were run very hard in my time. Between a 350 and then a warmed over 327, I put about 156,000 miles on a 72 240Z Datsun I built. That was a fun car.

The replacement has been the LS series engines and I have heard good about them. This is one of the popular upgrades for Miata conversions. I believe the aluminum block version 5.3 actually weighs less than the Miata iron block 4 cylinder. You can buy a crate engine 5.3 with up to 525 HP. That makes a Miata run pretty good.

Randy

Twice I stepped into conversions one I regret the memory of was the Vega...

I really enjoyed my Mopar days and of course Fords..

Those were the days! A couples of wires, the rest of the coin was all about 10/11 seconds worth or, as close as possible ;) hmm

Like SpencerPJ, I had a 2004 Yukon XL SLT that got to 219K before I traded her in...the 4 speed trannie didn't have enough gears to pull the trailer (6500lbs) up our loooonnnggg 7% hills...

The 5.3 was running very well, didn't burn oil, still getting over 22mpg on highway at 75mph and simply wouldn't quit! Only thing I did was put in new front bearing assemblies at 200K. And it was an easy job as they were a one piece unit. 3 bolts. Took longer to jack up truck and take the wheel and brake assemble off.

Not sure about that kind of mileage though. That's pushing it in my book. If you are OK with an engine swap, then even a used 5.3 should be a piece of cake to put in.

and should run for another 200K !

Like SpencerPJ, I had a 2004 Yukon XL SLT that got to 219K before I traded her in

Only thing I did was put in new front bearing assemblies at 200K. And it was an easy job as they were a one piece unit. 3 bolts. Took longer to jack up truck and take the wheel and brake assemble off.

You OBVIOUSLY didn't have the Midwest rust to deal with. I had to air chisel mine off. :bawling:

Well I didn't buy the truck, as much as I liked it the same info came to me from a local garage that was in the video. Stay away from this model 2005 to 2010. The owner did tell me that the top end was re-done, so enough for me. I am thinking that my 96 F150 is worth rebuilding and I know what I have is all good. I always like the looks of the square Ford pickups. Thanks for the input fellows.

It took me quit a bit of convincing to buy the 350 6 lt 03/04 but I'll tell you I've been very happy with it.

The trick is to get one that is stock, filters and exhaust. The only upgrades I did was rebuilt 901 injectors and 4 pin ficm, all readily available.

When you check mileage you can knock off 100k as Ford had to rebuild them, mine is pushing 400k and still exceeds stock output numbers.