IGNORED

Great riding app

Jthomas

I went riding w friends and one turned me onto this sweet GPS for bikers. Its called Calimoto, and its not just California. Itll auto set the route through windy/scenic routes instead of normal GPSs that just take you the most direct way. You can tell it to generate a random round trip ride too if you just want to go somewhere. Share and see others rides in your area.

--

Can this be used some way for the gps/info system in a 2018 Venture/Eluder?

--

I was thinking the same thing. You can use a USB drive

I know the Venture GPS look for a folder called GPS. I have imported GPX files from google maps

I checked the FAQ on the https://calimoto.com/en website and found this. I know what I will be looking at this weekend.

Is it possible to import or export GPX files?

Yes, you can export GPX files on our web site. You can export both planned and tracked rides.Exporting from the web site:1. Open the Trip planner here.2. On the right select 'My rides'3. Select the ride you want to export4. Click the 'export GPX' button5. Save the GPX file to your local computerImporting using the web site:1. Open the Trip planner here.2. Just underneath the 'My Favourites' is an up arrow, mousing over will reveal text 'Import GPX', click this button3. Find and upload the GPX file from your local computerYou can also open GPX files on your smartphone with calimoto. You can then convert it to a planned route and save it.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use the TOMTOM GO app on my phone. It has a lot of good features like choosing  winding road of various degrees hilly very hilly or not hilly. avoid interstate highways and or dirt roads (should get @Marcarlon this since he has trouble avoiding dirt roads). and daylight visibility is far superior to my Garmin 660 and so far has been more accurate then my Garmin. About the only thing I use my Garmin for any more is to record my trip for future reference.

Did however have a quick look at Calimoto and it certainly looks to be worth further study. 

Edited by saddlebum

• 1 year later...

I currently use Rever, and it's a great app.  You can run the route you want and save it for next time, share with friends, and pretty easily create your own rides.  It also connects to databases of rides, and shows them right on the map.  You can also set preferences like skipping highways, tolls, or set the preference for off-road and twistys as well.

Pete