IGNORED

Starter clutch upgrade

Patience is the first tool you need. When you are done go to HF and get another one, this time bigger and stronger. If it still won't come off, grab a little patience from your neighbour.

In other words:

Open up the engine case and set aside for use maybe later, set it well aside so as to not get damaged by articles of unknown origin. Remove bolt that holds the stator in place and set aside so as to not get lost. Install a decent puller, something robust making sure it's square and plumb and snug. Put some tension on the puller, check to make sure things are right and proper. Install a box with rags in front of and below the balancer. Now is where you need that patience. Tighten the puller,,,, no!!!!!I said tighten the puller,,, you'll need at least a 2ft bar to get it that far. Do not stand in front of it, for when it comes it will scare the poop out of ya, especially if you are infront of it, may even do some other damage. If it didin't come yet wait til tomorrow, if tomorrow comes and it's still there, get a good sized heavy solid drift and a decent persuader and tap the center cone of the balancer a bit, some on the top, some on the bottom and then maybe some on the sides for good measure. squeeze the puller some more and drift a bit more, then squeeze the puller some more and then wait until tomorrow, keeping the box of rags in place.

Now I go plow snow.

What works for me: start with a quality puller, run a piece of webbing thru the puller bolts and tie it off to the fame leaving a little slack. It will keep the whole assembly from taking flight. Tighten the puller TIGHT and tap on the end of the puller bolt with a hammer. DO NOT USE A BFH OR SLEDGE HAMMMER. All you're trying to do is set some vibration into it. After a few hits you should be able to tighten it a bit more and repeat. The last two I did this way took 10 minutes or so to remove. Heat and/or impact ruin magnets, something like a 16oz hammer has plenty of impact without swinging it hard. Never ruined flywheel magnets this way.

The factory torques the flywheel bolt to around 5 million Lb/Ft. So if this is the first time getting it off then it is very difficult. Either way a really good quality puller is needed, as mentioned above. There is a hex on the the end of the flywheel that can be used to keep the crank from turning while you are torquing the puller bolt. Patience young grasshopper will be rewarded.