IGNORED

my first motorcycle

cwtart

my first motorcycle - 1967 Yamaha 305cc Big Bear Scrambler - I was 16 years old in 1966 and in heaven. Worked at McDonalds after school hours to pay for my toy. I think it cost around $700.00 new and I made every payment myself.

lv19-t191-4-1542837814724.jpg

I got hit broadside at an intersection by a car one week after my junior year ended. Totaled the motorcycle, broke my leg and my ankle and I spent the summer of my junior year in a cast. My helmet saved my life - When the car hit me I flew straight up in the air and the car passed under me, pushing the motorcycle, and I came straight down like an arrow on my head. Cracked the helmet instead of my skull. The amazing thing was my parents let me get another bike - I was riding again as soon as my cast was off.

Edited by cwtart

Thats just horrible!! Your parents made you work so you could have transportation? Ugh Didnt they owe that to you? LOL just pickin. Kids today just dont get it.

Yeah, I had to work for my toys - but I don't think I would have wanted in any other way. I did not have any feelings of entitlement. And now the millenials disparage us Boomers. But all my respect goes to my parents generation - the WWII generation - I don't think any current generation could do what they did again.

Yeah, I had to work for my toys - but I don't think I would have wanted in any other way. I did not have any feelings of entitlement. And now the millenials disparage us Boomers. But all my respect goes to my parents generation - the WWII generation - I don't think any current generation could do what they did again.

Let's hope they never have to do what the WWII generation had to do. I do believe that they could, we could, if really put to the task. I am always amazed by the human resiliency and our will to do what is needed. I've seen this in the recent generations more on the lines of natural disasters. I live in Houston now and during Hurricane Harvey the out pouring by everyone, locals or from other states, was awesome to see. It was not just boomers out their, I saw plenty of millennials too. I believe that if another situation of WWII were to come the same people who go out of their way to aid those they do not know will rise to the occasion. I know neither of my boys would hesitate. Remember the rise in enlistments after 9/11.