United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dying in my sleep???

The school marm has been after me for a while to go get a sleep study, she claims I snore loudly but I don't believe her. I think she even sunk low enough to get my crew at the firehouse in on it because they claim the same thing. Doc called me today to let me know I don't have "sleep apnea"- I have "severe sleep apnea" , the kind you can wake up dead from. I haven't felt good in quite a long time, always exhausted and not sleeping well so this is probably a big part of it. The 6 months off work last year for a couple surgeries didn't help since not working my normal physical jobs caused my other issues to worsen, the furniture disease sorta kicked in. The one where your chest drops to you drawers. I don't consider myself way overweight at 6'-2" 220 but I'm definitely not in the shape I was in a few years ago which I'm sure is making the apnea worse. I'm hoping it'll help if I drop the extra 20-25 lbs I've somehow managed to add on and rearrange a few more back where they came from. I'm gonna get back in the gym a little more to work on that. In the meantime I go back in soon to get my CPAP or BIPAP machine ( not sure which) which brings me to the point of the whole post. Anyone here have experience with certain brands they recommend or ones to stay away from?

Wow, I went back to proof read this before posting and realized I wrote an essay to ask one question. Now I'm worried a little of Cowpuc is rubbing off on me.
    Faded Blue is the fastest.

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dying in my sleep???

I betcha if you do lose the weight you plan to and get on an exercise program, you will feel 100% better! I can't answer your question. I snore too and have found that if I sleep on my side, I don't snore.
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture 23k miles
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale 6k miles
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft 5k miles

3. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I betcha if you do lose the weight you plan to and get on an exercise program, you will feel 100% better! I can't answer your question. I snore too and have found that if I sleep on my side, I don't snore.
    Thanks Sky, unfortunately the snoring is just a symptom. The real problem is I stop breathing and my oxygen levels drop dangerously low and periodically stay there for over 2hours at a time. On average I stop breathing almost once per minute while asleep.

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Losing weight and exercising can accomplish amazing things. When my 3 1/2 yr job in FL ended with 14 months of 6 12s towards the end I had an irregular pulse and weighed 260. When I got home I lost 30 lbs and got back on my exercise program and my pulse went back to normal. I was 69 yrs old when that job ended in 2013. My heartbeat is still normal although I have 3 stents as of last November 1. The cardiologist told me my heart is strong and the valves work well but the arteries that feed the heart were 60 to 80% plugged. Iím still exercising more than before and Iím losing more weight now plus I started taking a statin and another drug that reduces cholesterol absorption by the small intestines. Ya gotta be tough to handle getting old!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture 23k miles
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale 6k miles
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft 5k miles

6. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, getting old ain't fer wimps.

8. Likes Red Ryder liked this post
    United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have severe sleep apnea (I've had it since the early 1990's..I would stop breathing 70-80 times an hour without the cpap) losing weight will help, but you will still need the cpap.
    Any current brand of cpap machine will work well. Do NOT buy a used one or buy used supplies ever. If you have health insurance they will cover a new one. Get one of the ozone automatic cleaners for it as well.

It takes a week or so to get accustomed to the mask because at first it is a bit weird/intrusive...but you will. After acclimating to it, it will make your life WAY better. You will feel much more rested. (So will your better half)! And your chances of a heart attack or stroke will go WAY down.

Per the "dying in my sleep" aspect, highly unlikely it would go quite that easy.
    A more realistic scenario would be waking up in total terror gasping for air (common with apnea...this part of it has happened to me dozens of times), but being unable to breath in, and eventually blacking out, then dying. Not a pretty way to exit.
    The cpap will fully eliminate this possibility.

Sleep well.
    Last edited by Atlanta Bill; 01-15-2020 at 11:20 AM.

10. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I snore too and have found that if I sleep on my side, I don't snore.
    Years ago when my father had to go on a CPAP machine for his snoring they said to stop sleeping on your back. My mom stitched up a t-shirt with pockets on the back to put racket balls so my dad couldn't sleep on his back.
    1999 Royal Star Venture
    2007 Ural Tourist
    1984 Suzuki QuadRunner 125 rescued from the scrap pile
    Honda Trail CT70

12. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to go on ice fishing trips with a few buddies. One of them snored so bad that you could even here him through the concrete block wall of adjoining cabins. Worst yet his breathing would stop entirely and he would make a gagging sound like someone stuffed a tennis ball down his throat. I started wondering if this was life threatening in the sense that something in his throat or maybe his tongue was moving in such a manor as to block off his air way. Out of curiosity I did some research and discovered that this was in fact a serious issue and that the risk of not waking up in the morning was far more common than you would imagine. Not trying to scare you here but if its as bad as all that then I would not take it lightly and do what you have to, to improve your situation.
    I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND Hidden Content

14. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    United States
    IN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure it has a water tank for moisture it really seems to help. Another thing i learned is there are lots of mask choosing one is hard. I really liked the nose cushion design seemed easier to sleep in. Where ever you get it try it on standing and laying down it makes a difference how it feels. Just throwing my 2 cents in good luck. Be patient getting used to it it takes some time.

16. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Bill View Post
    If you have severe sleep apnea (I've had it since the early 1990's..I would stop breathing 70-80 times an hour without the cpap) losing weight will help, but you will still need the cpap.
    Any current brand of cpap machine will work well. Do NOT buy a used one or buy used supplies ever. If you have health insurance they will cover a new one. Get one of the ozone automatic cleaners for it as well.

It takes a week or so to get accustomed to the mask because at first it is a bit weird/intrusive...but you will. After acclimating to it, it will make your life WAY better. You will feel much more rested. (So will your better half)! And your chances of a heart attack or stroke will go WAY down.

Per the "dying in my sleep" aspect, highly unlikely it would go quite that easy.
    A more realistic scenario would be waking up in total terror gasping for air (common with apnea...this part of it has happened to me dozens of times), but being unable to breath in, and eventually blacking out, then dying. Not a pretty way to exit.
    The cpap will fully eliminate this possibility.

Sleep well.
    Wow I think I like the dying in my sleep better than that reality check of what can happen. My soon to be Dr daughter has been on me and putting a bug in her momma's ear about my health and work load. She's convinced I'm gonna have a heart attack young. My eating habits aren't great but I have slowed my fab business down to a more manageable rate as bad as I hate to turn business away to reduce the load and stress. 2 more years running into burning buildings and I'll have my time in there and get rid of that stress load too. Daughter takes her boards and starts hospital rotations in 2 months so I'm sure I'll hear more about me then.

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been wearing a FULL mask for 15 or more years. I've had my nose broken 6 times and can't breath thru it even after reconstructive surgery . I also would stop breathing 60 to 70 times an hour. My heart would actually stop beating several time during that hour.....!!! My poor taters didn't get a good night sleep in years because she would have to keep shaking me so I would start breathing again. Do yourself and the boss a favor and get the machine...SOME people have to adjust to sleeping with it. I never had that problem. Took to it the first night..It's a life saver. It took Taters a while to get used to me sleeping as she would keep waking me up to see if I was still alive because I was sleeping so soundly... Again , don't fight it , JUST DO IT FOR YOUR LOVED ONES !! p.s. Wen't camping once with my grandson and forgot my machine...had to leave @ 3am ...I CANNOT SLEEP WITHOUT IT.
    RALLY @ THE SHORES...APPLETON NY... JULY 16TH THRU 19TH 2020...
    BOOK NOW (716) 778-8568...USE VENTURIDER / TOM LACHUT FOR DISCOUNT...

19. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife, Marca, uses a Phillips machine, but she has had it about 6 years already so the model has been outdated long ago. She is happy with it and it works just fine for her. Guess it's up to you to research and pick.
    Some of the things she finds important.
    Cleanability, pressure adjustment, filling water reservoir, heated tube to mouth piece,(keep moisture from collecting in tube, in any climate), transport ease, noise.
    She wears hers nightly, although on occasion she might do without, but her diagnosis wasn't as bad as yours.
    Interesting thing was that when she got tested they said she stopped breathing 39 time per hour,, so that would work out to once every 2 minutes or so. I wake up regularly during the night and every time I will check if she is still breathing,, have done this for 49 years, but I could never notice her stopping breathing, even if I stayed awake for 10 minutes or so,,,???? go figure,,,, but she feels better, so, so be it.
    I might suggest to look online for a used machine, they are not that hard to clean and sanitize, but I would go new on the hose and face mask for sure.
    Face masks are a personal preference, you need to try one on before purchase. It will depend on how you breath as well. Marca is a mouth breather so needs a mask that covers her nose as well as her mouth, other people only need to cover their nose, so everybody is different. Marca also has gone to using a blinder on her eyes to keep any air leakage from drying out her eyes overnight, seemed to be a problem for her,,, added benefit is she doesn't have to look at me for the period of time,,,, BONUS!!!
    She uses a Phillips ResMed IP21.
    Have you decided to come yet?
    Register soon!!
    Rally@the Shores
    July 16-19th 2020

21. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RD,

A daughter soon to be a doctor? That is impressive and I know you must be very proud of her.
    Nothing like a built in doctor in the family! Sounds like she was raised right.
    : )

Bill

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RDawson View Post
    The school marm has been after me for a while to go get a sleep study, she claims I snore loudly but I don't believe her. I think she even sunk low enough to get my crew at the firehouse in on it because they claim the same thing. Doc called me today to let me know I don't have "sleep apnea"- I have "severe sleep apnea" , the kind you can wake up dead from. I haven't felt good in quite a long time, always exhausted and not sleeping well so this is probably a big part of . . .
    My Wife and kids complained for years. I was even on a different floor of the house than the kids and they would come to wake / shut me up. I would normally get about 3 hours of sleep a night. The sleep study in of itself is ridiculous. How can anyone sleep at all with a couple hundred wires connected to you. Anyway, I did stop breathing with a lot of regularity. It was either a CPAP or facial reconstruction to correct the problem. I travel a lot and went with the ResMed AirSense 10. It has a humidifier tank and is small enough overall for easy travel. In the bag its about 13"x13"x4". It has worked well for me. Masks can vary from just nasal to full face. I have a beard and the small full faced mask is what I have used for the last 2 years. It comes under my lower lip and up over my nose. I just started trying a hybrid mask that covers my mouth and uses nasal cushions. We will see on this. None of these are comfortable in my opinion but I now get 5 - 6 hours of solid sleep a night and I do feel better. I've also put on too much weight over the last 5 years. Too much food and not enough moving around and I feel it. The problem I have here is pushing the plate away when at restaurants (traveling). It's a thing I have about wasting food.
    Hidden Content

Don't end up in pieces. Riding should be your Peace.

24. Thanks RDawson gave thanks for this post
    United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta Bill View Post
    RD,

A daughter soon to be a doctor? That is impressive and I know you must be very proud of her.
    Nothing like a built in doctor in the family! Sounds like she was raised right.
    : )

Bill
    Thanks Bill, we are very proud of both of our daughters. The oldest is the dr to be and the youngest starts this fall in Huntsville to be an aerospace engineer. I tell everybody that with a dr and a rocket scientist we should at least have a nice nursing home in our future. They're both hard headed enough to go get what they want so they should be fine in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast