IGNORED

Quick Ride up See Canyon Road (near Cal Poly)

Ripside

My RSV been moved from Denver to the San Luis Obispo area, and I should be moved out there by next weekend.

On New Year's Day, took my brand-new fiancee on our first ride up a pretty windy, often one-lane road, including about a mile stretch of dirt. It led us to the top of a "mountain" (I hesitate to call these mountains, being from Denver) with a view of the ocean and Morrow Rock.

I was impressed how well the Venture handled 2-up, both on the 101 and going up pretty steep grades. Fuel economy, not so great. Under 30MPG, though we did hit 80+ on the interstate to stay in the flow of traffic.

Looking forward to a longer ride up the PCH to Ragged Point when it gets a bit warmer

82609572_10156712637415718_6296622798412447744_o.jpg

82297125_10156712637380718_4569665548756975616_o.jpg

You're gonna love the area.. Been over the See Canyon road in a 4by from where it starts off San Luis Bay Rd all the way to Morro Bay. Great view from the top. From your pics yours was even better.. :-) California's a great MC touring state except for the bunch of crazies running the Gov.

You're gonna love the area.. Been over the See Canyon road in a 4by from where it starts off San Luis Bay Rd all the way to Morro Bay. Great view from the top. From your pics yours was even better.. :-) California's a great MC touring state except for the bunch of crazies running the Gov.

Thanks! Definitely some good views. In the week since I had the bike shipped out, we've been up to Avila twice. Next up is Morrow Bay and then I'm going to drag the lady up to Ragged Point to see how her bottom holds up. We were talking earlier today about heading to Yosemite eventually. I can't wait.

Thanks! Definitely some good views. In the week since I had the bike shipped out, we've been up to Avila twice. Next up is Morrow Bay and then I'm going to drag the lady up to Ragged Point to see how her bottom holds up. We were talking earlier today about heading to Yosemite eventually. I can't wait.

Next time your at the marina in San Luis Bay stop by Fat Cats for fish and chips... Great place for lunch.. Or breakfast?? :-) You might want to visit Fess Parkers Winery. We did that on a Venture West and few years ago in '08. Not too far from Avila. You get there off hwy 154 turn off 101. Speaking of 154 you can visit Cold Spring Tavern up on Stage Coach Road. Goes back to 1886... Also take 101 north of Vandenberg up toward Guadalupe to Pizmo. Feels like you're in Tiajuana.... Ride the beach at Pizmo... That aught to keep you busy for a while... :-)

Next time your at the marina in San Luis Bay stop by Fat Cats for fish and chips... Great place for lunch.. Or breakfast?? :-) You might want to visit Fess Parkers Winery. We did that on a Venture West and few years ago in '08. Not too far from Avila. You get there off hwy 154 turn off 101. Speaking of 154 you can visit Cold Spring Tavern up on Stage Coach Road. Goes back to 1886... Also take 101 north of Vandenberg up toward Guadalupe to Pizmo. Feels like you're in Tiajuana.... Ride the beach at Pizmo... That aught to keep you busy for a while... :-)

Appreciate the tips - I'm a Coloradan, so I'm learning my way around.

I usually insist on going to Wooley's by the Piso pier - they have those giant calamari. Mmmmmm.

Appreciate the tips - I'm a Coloradan, so I'm learning my way around.

I usually insist on going to Wooley's by the Piso pier - they have those giant calamari. Mmmmmm.

Yep Podre Canyon of Ft Collins, CO was a great ride... We did a VR.org Venture Rally there around '07...

Denver U. 1963... That makes me very old... :-) But I do know the area. It's a toss up which area has the best 'stuff'...

I still remember the huge meals and breakfast at Margies Diner in SLO at Venturewest with everyone. Amazing food and amazing people. I think it would have been a great ride that year to, if the Venture would have stayed together.

I still remember the huge meals and breakfast at Margies Diner in SLO at Venturewest with everyone. Amazing food and amazing people. I think it would have been a great ride that year to, if the Venture would have stayed together.

Venturewest?

VentureWest was a get together in the Morro Bay/SLO area about 10 years ago. I think a great time was had by all.

Brian

.........and The Dalles, OR and Yreka, CA.

That was too bad Brian. The ride down there ended up pretty nice... With a little bit of a flat tire issue tossed in for good measure... :-) And those meals at Margies were awesome. The first time we had a hamburger it came out on a platter with enough fries to feed an army, and the burger was so big it needed to be carved up a bit to get it in our mouths.... I wonder how Jack and Bev are doing?? They're great peeps... I think about them a lot... You too my friend...

.........and The Dalles, OR and Yreka, CA.

Some VW history... Accurate when I can look at the patches on the wall. Otherwise it's all fuzzy logic...??

The first VW was held in Bakersfield CA. in about 2005 or 6. When the club had a big group of riders in L.A. and another in No. Cal they got together in Bakersfield for the weekend. I guess that was VWI. The next year we all met in Death Valley. II. Susanville came next with riders coming in from OR and WA, and Nev...as well as L.A. III. We skipped a year because of the International in Ft Collins CO. Then in '08 we did Morro Bay. Then we held a big one for the western states in Cody Wy in '09. Because it worked so well and the infastructure was all in place we went back the in 2011 for an International. After Cody we did the Dalles in OR in '14, and then the last one in Yreka/Mt Shasta CA in '15. Since then it's been pretty quite. Lack of organizers and old age have set in. I know my riding days are over... It was a hell of a ride... :thumbsup2: