IGNORED

project looking

Patch

I have been looking for an easy to me project to get myself back into the shop for about a month now.

2 came up a Bimmer and a Benze. I know benze fairly well, have a good understanding of the systems. I don't know bimmer very well but like what I've heard about "driver experience"

I prefer the 7 series late 90's but have taken a liking to the newer 7's as well, maybe a sucker for punishment I guess.

The one that came up is a 545i with trans slipping,,, you know the arrogance around life time oil.

After watching this tear down tho, I think I'll pass ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQBPH8MF6N0

I just passed up a 540I Sport with the 6 speed manual. Sort of regretting it but not in the budget. An M5 of the same era would also be acceptable. Have a gander at the 335 and 335d too, those are pretty sweet. I've always been partial to MB and BMW. I have a slightly doctored A4 now as I needed the AWD, but I'm missing the BMW. Of course being a German thingy they are finicky but dayum, it's hard to go back to other makes. Their inline 6 is a magical creature, even NA as they are very receptive to turboing and take it well. I've been less fond of their automatic trans and definitely enjoy a clutch, YMMV.

I'm thinking for my next one a 335ix Ragtop 6 speed manual. I'm just done with 4 doors I think, kids are grown, no need. Once I find one in the right color and get through the medical issues I'm going to off the Audi and get back into a BMW. Not sneezing at a diesel Benz either. A sedan is hardly a midlife-crisis appropriate car though haha.

Noteworthy is the 7s and S classe are maintenance whores, I had an 02 S600 and the cost of ownership was staggering. It would handily put a whooping on just about anything else on the road though in spite of it's 5500lb girth. The Biturbo V12 is a freakin' beast with a few little adjustments. Best have deep pockets for a flagship from either mfr. Still a sucker for a 750 though, really.

I have zero argument with your selection and comments!

And yes MB screwed the pooch in 02 thru to mid 04 but, the suspension of the S class can bring home a big bargain providing there are no canbus issues!

I still prefer a sleeper look and feel to what I drive personally, in other words I still enjoy the 4 door; after all I am single, often in rush between dates so: easy access to the back is how to say in english, useful! ;) lol

About the German builds, I agree it is hard to consider leaving them especially after tooling up for them and; learning how simple there connection parts go together ;) taking them apart for the 1st time tho usually means breaking somethin unnecessarily ):

While I'm pretty sure I can't afford a new BMW, I know for sure I can't afford a used one.

Owned one that was out of warranty. Fun to drive when it was running right. Ridiculously expensive to fix (indy shop too). Never again.

BMW motorcycles? Now that's a different story.

RR

Time for a pivot and some weekend reading..

I was hoping to post this last Sunday in reply to Casey but ran out of time.

There are some interesting points that I know most will just gloss over so I am including a second link to explain the quote below.

Also and in an effort to continue to tie my %’s and volume into our basic understanding of combustion, I’d like to remind us that every move or growth in combustion has to do with total swept volume per full crank cycle/revolution. Meaning in this case percentage of efficacy is high at all times due to this new approach of shared components reducing lag throughout!

While total displacement remains typical total swept volume potential here is why I find this new technology is cutting edge IMHO. Right Puc

Note the alternator description

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a19479730/nine-things-you-must-know-about-the-new-mercedes-inline-six/

“To keep the engine length under control, the M256 has gone to undersquare bore and stroke dimensions of….”

Worth the time to read. There are also a couple of comments below the last as I recall answeres its self in contraction but that forum life.

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/24902/what-does-under-square-and-over-square-mean