IGNORED

My New2Me Black Powder Snub Nosed...

Condor

Who makes that .44 hand cannon? Be good to have for a backup diversion shot in the dark for shock and awl.....:yikes:

It's made by Pietta in Italy and imported by EMF in ..... believe it or not !!... Kommiefornia.. EMF will sell direct, and do wholesale to others like Cabela's and Midway USA... I picked this one up from a gun auction in Ohio.. The nice thing about black powder is there are no FFL restrictions and can be shipped right to your door... Just like the good ol' days... :-)

I know of an 18 yr.old that didn't know enough to put grease or vasoline at the end of each ball loaded in the cylinder. When fired, 5 of the loads went off and blew that pistol 20 feet into the air...The only one that didn't ignite was the one against the frame at the bottom of the cylinder..WHAT AN IDIOT....I only did that once. The soft lead didn't harm the gun, but a new pair of shorts was in that order that day...LOL SOME LESSONS ARE LEARNED THE HARD WAY....:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

I know of an 18 yr.old that didn't know enough to put grease or vasoline at the end of each ball loaded in the cylinder. When fired, 5 of the loads went off and blew that pistol 20 feet into the air...The only one that didn't ignite was the one against the frame at the bottom of the cylinder..WHAT AN IDIOT....I only did that once. The soft lead didn't harm the gun, but a new pair of shorts was in that order that day...LOL SOME LESSONS ARE LEARNED THE HARD WAY....:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

When you end up with a nice shaved lead ring when seating the ball there's no way a spark can set off a chain reaction. However... load up a ball that's a few thousandths undersized and there a lot of potential trouble... I stick with .454 diam ammo and so far no problem... If you look closely at the snub you'll notice there's no ram mechanism like on a longer barrel. So it comes with a loose brass ram rod.. see the video.. and I guess I'll be investing in a BP loading stand. Just not the one used in the video.. $140++ bucks!!. Hell I've paid less for a couple of BP revolvers.. Cabela's and Midway have cheaper models. I think I saw one on Amazon..?? Hey' it's all fun... :-)

When you end up with a nice shaved lead ring when seating the ball there's no way a spark can set off a chain reaction. However... load up a ball that's a few thousandths undersized and there a lot of potential trouble... I stick with .454 diam ammo and so far no problem... If you look closely at the snub you'll notice there's no ram mechanism like on a longer barrel. So it comes with a loose brass ram rod.. see the video.. and I guess I'll be investing in a BP loading stand. Just not the one used in the video.. $140++ bucks!!. Hell I've paid less for a couple of BP revolvers.. Cabela's and Midway have cheaper models. I think I saw one on Amazon..?? Hey' it's all fun... :-

I watched the video and noticed no ram...they are fun to shoot but dirty....everyone here still uses vasoline here after loading as a pre caution...only because it easier to find than bear grease....lol ENJOY.....!!!

In my twenties I owned a retro Navy.36 cal. BP that chained fired while standing shoulder to shoulder with my Dad. To say he was impressed and wanted to give it a try well, "He'll No" is all that heard after the smoke cleared. Reason being it chained fired from the nipple side of the cylinder. Those number 11 caps were loose or missing. After that I squeezed them before pressing them on the nipples. Eventually I sold it or traded it off. Kinda like too try another though.

I watched the video and noticed no ram...they are fun to shoot but dirty....everyone here still uses vasoline here after loading as a pre caution...only because it easier to find than bear grease....lol ENJOY.....!!!

LOL... And probably not as dangerous finding it... :-) I'll probably never need to clean the snub... 'cause I'll probably never shoot it.. Like a lot of the other... unfired in the box.. different BP's, it'll stay in the box. Someday, 50 years from now when I'm 130 :backinmyday:, they'll be collectable.. I own many other 'used' that serve as BOOMERS. :whistling:

Make your own loading stand.

Did you make that or did you buy it. The reason I ask is I've seen the same exact one for sale commercially from Traditions. Passed on it when I saw it. I had in mind a separate stand. This one is a little more expensive than most but it handles 44 and 36, and for $40 bucks...what the hey!!

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/black-powder-cylinder-loading-stand.html

A neighbor and I both made stands from scratch for our black powder pistols from scrap lumber. Only had to buy the hinge, had stain and lacquer, and bought stick-on felt for where the pistol touched touched the wood. Total cost was about $4.

:thumbsup:

Youse guys did a nice job... I don't own an Old Army yet, but it's on my bucket list.... :-)

Another AWESOME thread you got going here @Condor!!! Speaking of Black Powder shooters, I was SHOCKED to find out that those great big battleship guns that would shoot a 2000 pound bullet out there to 20 miles were Black Powder shooters,, proof behind fact that BP is some worthy powder to load with!!!

Another AWESOME thread you got going here Condor!!! Speaking of Black Powder shooters, I was SHOCKED to find out that those great big battleship guns that would shoot a 2000 pound bullet out there to 20 miles were Black Powder shooters,, proof behind fact that BP is some worthy powder to load with!!!

Wow!! I didn't even think about those big BOOMERS shooting BP. I had heard that it was like tossing a Volkswagen 16 miles... Great gas milage!! :-) :whistling: I wonder if they even use smokeless in any type of canon?? And if not I wonder why?? Too much chamber pressure???

Wow!! I didn't even think about those big BOOMERS shooting BP. I had heard that it was like tossing a Volkswagen 16 miles... Great gas milage!! :-) :whistling: I wonder if they even use smokeless in any type of canon?? And if not I wonder why?? Too much chamber pressure???

WOWZY is right brother... At the beginning of this video a WW2 Veteran explains the big battleship guns of that time and if you go to exactly 12:30 into the video you can catch a glimpse of the Black Powder bag they used for a charge = up to 6 of those bags per BOOM depending on how far they wanted to toss the "VW" :missingtooth:.. Unreal!! Thats a really good question on why they chose to use BP instead of a primed, brass cased cartridge topped off with smokeless.. I know the "VW" round they were tossing out of the barrel was banded with a band of copper/brass to seat against the rifling in the barrel to give it rotation = the "bullet" itself was steel. I wonder if the reason they went breach load BP bags behind the "bullet" had more to do with unavailability/shortages of raw material during WW2 (imagine the amount of brass they would have needed to supply those battleships with cartridges).. I sold the front fender for a 40's Indian Chief I had left over from a build years ago and was able to get $950 for it. It was an original fender and I found out after the auction that the reason it went so high was because during the war the War Department was confiscating all kinds of left over parts from manufactures for raw materials = things were tight. On the same token though,, you may be onto something concerning breach pressures :missingtooth:

I gotta hunch that the WW2 artillerly cannons were smokeless by that time but for sure the early Cannons of Civil War times were stuff n puff loader BP shooters.. Speaking of that, I remember as a kid watching Fess Parker as Davy Crockett hollowing out a log, filling it with all kinds of debris (like knives and forks and rocks) and chasing off the bad guys with it with one big BOOM :big-grin-emoticon:

Another AWESOME thread you got going here @Condor!!! Speaking of Black Powder shooters, I was SHOCKED to find out that those great big battleship guns that would shoot a 2000 pound bullet out there to 20 miles were Black Powder shooters,, proof behind fact that BP is some worthy powder to load with!!!

The Navy didn't have exclusive use of BP we burnt our share of it in the Army Field Artillery. Our Battalion had 175mm self propelled guns with 28' tubes that fired 147 lb high explosives projectile 28 miles. For long range we loaded her up with (3) bags of BP each bag a little less than 2 foot long. When fired she would recoil about 6 foot and shake the ground.

All that millitary ordinance is impressive...., I have one problem... they don't fit in a holster... :-)

A little story on the 500#er in Hawthorn... My father in law was a lifer in the USAF. 29/6&1. He was also the head of munitions when stationed at the Danang AFB in 'Nam. Every once in a while he'd receive one or two 500# bombs, and he didn't have anything that would handle them. So... when they wanted to establish a fire base out in the jungle he'd load one up on a helo and drop it where ever they wanted to clear the area. Instant 100 yard helicopter pad!! He sure had a lot of entertaining stories about the good old days. He'd never talk about Area 51.... :-)