IGNORED

Edge of the World

Condor

Besides collecting firearms, another fetish I have is collecting knives. It all started many years ago when I rep'd guns and we also had a line of Track knives made in Whitefish MT. Before then I usually carried a pocket knife for opening letters and cleaning finger nails... Track got me hooked. To date I don't own a single Track, and can't afford to own one at the prices these folks are asking.... However... I do have a fair collection of nice quality 'others', and the OCD continues... but only when I can afford them. If it's a quality made in the USA, I'm your huckleberry. I'm also partial to European styles, and Japan blades are as a rule very good. I'll even go for 'El Cheapo' Chinese throw aways if the price is right and they are new in the box. Bulk buys at a buck each... :-) Here's a pic of one of my favorite camp knives. The only identifying mark is the initials A.S. on the blade, and I've tried to research the maker, but can't find a thing... Another mystery...

I you have a favorite?? Post it...

2020-01-05 09.54.37 (Medium).jpg 2020-01-05 09.55.34 (Medium).jpg

Here's one of my favorite fixed blades. Made by a local Blade Smith, Mike Yurco.

It's based on the Filipino Gunuintang sword.

Very nice... One of the things about a custom is the blade smith includes a choil. I see so many 'customs' that don't have it, and for me that means the maker knows what they're doing...

A couple more from the same blade smith that made the wrapped handle scalpel above.

This is "The Brute" a massive and ugly Tracker(ish) hacker.

brute2.jpg

And My Wakizashi made from a slab saw circular saw blade.

Wakizashi1.jpg

Edited by luvmy40

I'm not a collector or even remotely knowledgeable on the styles of knives. I've just been a 'user' all my life. My wife picked this up for me when we were on a ride in Terlingua TX. She says it was made by a local there but is was a Christmas present so I didn't get to ask a lot about it. I do know the handle is alternating Walnut and Antler, the blade appears to be Damascus style to me. Just started watching Forged in Fire so what do I know :biker:

Knife - Loretta.jpg

I had to look up 'choil'

the knife choil is the notch between the cutting edge and the blade tang and serves to notify you where to stop

Actually, the function of a choil is to allow the entire edge of the blade to be sharpened.... It also shows that the smith knows what he's doing... IMHO... :-)

This may surprise some but, I was once very into knives also for a period always carried at least 2.

After an accident which limited my right side for a while I began fabricating my own blades and what we refereed to as street tools.

It took me quite a while to break the "hobby habit" . Now at the most I may carry a 2.5" pocket knife.

I can say that there is a mystique to them, to my eye short blades with a functional long grab are most temping to hold. Tho I won't ;)

I bought, sold, and collected knives for many years. I never got into making them and never really got into all the terms for the various features though. I actually had to do some research on what a choil is and found that there are two different answers. Basically there is a sharpening choil on some and a finger choil on others. Of course, some have no choil at all. Different styles and features for different functions. Interesting stuff though.

Found this in my home page, may some will enjoy

That was cool to watch. The effect was gorgeous. I'm more of a wood guy and made a bit of our furniture. Finally getting to a point where I can work on setting up my garage, 3 car tandem, that I share with my wife's Tahoe and of course the SVTC. I might have to look into some forging down the road a ways though.

That was cool to watch. The effect was gorgeous. I'm more of a wood guy and made a bit of our furniture. Finally getting to a point where I can work on setting up my garage, 3 car tandem, that I share with my wife's Tahoe and of course the SVTC. I might have to look into some forging down the road a ways though.

Wood?? Knife??..... Whittle... :-)

I'll share this and likely many here already know. I wasn't a fancy blade guy I liked what I knew fit my needs when it came to my fabs. Later when I began carvings I began make a verity of chisels; I used spring steel which was easily available in size and thickness from leaf springs cutoffs at our local suspension shop in MTL.

That may help some get started in the hobby.