Canada
    AB
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transmission is stuck

Still and if the rear is apart as you mention, I would run the engine place in gear say 2nd, release the clutch and prove it stalls with all the rest of the drive off.

In my experience when a bearing seizes it should be blue.

Both the shaft and bearing are tempered during manufacturing.

Now if the unit is seized then consider the last ride a horseshoe or a 4 leaf clover

I bet Kevin has a Yam bulletin if yam put one out?

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the job now is: pull the engine, turn it upside down, take off the bottom cover and then you can easily get at the stuff you need to. You won't be doing any engine work at all, just a simple transmission.
    I have done this a number of times, and I remember the last time was on a blonde 84 Venture,,, it was the 3rd time that engine was coming out in a 4 week span. The bike was ready for the road, all put together and in 45 minutes I had the engine ready to come out, another 30 minutes had me right into the transmission,,,, can be done, it's not that hard eh? Just remember, somebody else designed it, folks that put it together had no idea of what they were doing and now all you have to do is to take it apart, tell us what you all see or post some more pictures and Bob's your uncle.
    Have you decided to come yet?
    Register soon!!
    Rally@the Shores
    July 16-19th 2020

United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go to 5 minutes and 34 into the attached video. See the universal joint I am in the process of changing in the video? Look behind the universal at the output shaft sticking out, notice the 3 bolts holding the output shaft into the forward bevel gear. Loosen those three bolts up and the output shaft housing can be removed. Is this the housing that contains the bearing that has seized? If so, you do not need to pull the engine - just remove the housing and replace the bearing. Yes, this housing is shimmed for bevel gear tolerance. The shims are cut so you can slide them in and out fairly easily. If you replace just the bearing you should have no reason to reshim. If you replace the whole housing you will have to reshim to get into spec on the gear mating. I am not sure what the spec is on the amount of play you need at that right angle bevel gear set but I do know it needs to have some lash. I would guess 10 thou would be in the ball park. I am sure the exact spec could be found in a shop manual. All IMHO of course.

Either way, whether I am correct here or not,,, all the best in fixing your scoot!!
    Puc

Remembering my brother and friend:
    "I'm not Yammer Dan" - Yammer Dan
    Proverbs 18:24 - "There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother"..
    Miss you bro - Puc
    Life is just one step after another..on a rocky hill side-Sly

4. Thanks videoarizona, Mojankie gave thanks for this post
    Likes videoarizona, Mojankie liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cowpuc View Post
    Go to 5 minutes and 34 into the attached video. See the universal joint I am in the process of changing in the video? Look behind the universal at the output shaft sticking out, notice the 3 bolts holding the output shaft into the forward bevel gear. Loosen those three bolts up and the output shaft housing can be removed. Is this the housing that contains the bearing that has seized? If so, you do not need to pull the engine - just remove the housing and replace the bearing. Yes, this housing is shimmed for bevel gear tolerance. The shims are cut so you can slide them in and out fairly easily. If you replace just the bearing you should have no reason to reshim. If you replace the whole housing you will have to reshim to get into spec on the gear mating. I am not sure what the spec is on the amount of play you need at that right angle bevel gear set but I do know it needs to have some lash. I would guess 10 thou would be in the ball park. I am sure the exact spec could be found in a shop manual. All IMHO of course.

Either way, whether I am correct here or not,,, all the best in fixing your scoot!!
    Puc

You are so absolutely correct Mr. Pucster, I couldn't agree with you more,,, even though that might hurt a little.
    In my post I assumed that the housing would have been compromised, but if it is deemed to be usable then there would be no need to extract the powerplant from it's place of resting. The only reason then, that I was suggesting to remove the engine was to be able to get the gear lash set proper with the proper shims.
    Glad to have you on board Mr. Puc!!
    Have you decided to come yet?
    Register soon!!
    Rally@the Shores
    July 16-19th 2020

6. Likes cowpuc, videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@5:34 in the video - Yes - that is the part that the bearing is seized on.

Whilst the young son was taking the clutch off, he tried the old "I'll stick a screw driver in there to stop it from spinning trick" and snapped one of the bolt posts off! We are waiting for a new gasket, and replacement clutch boss to show up. Then we will fire it up, Make sure nothing else is seized up, and go from there. He is a college kid trying to save every dime he can and get out of school without debt.
    He has ordered a used Middle drive off ebay and I will help him set the tolerance on the pinon and hopefully we will be good to go.
    I printed out the manual and have a dial indicator on the way....
    You guys are great.

8. Likes videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So,
    We got the new clutch boss in and that side of the engine back together.
    While we were waiting for parts to come in I was thinking, why would this bearing fail and why did it get so hot?
    I wondered if there was a lubrication issue. I figured that once the clutch was put back together - prior to re-installing the output shaft - I would get under the bike and have my son start it and I would watch inside the middle drive area to verify that I could see lubrication happening. I crawled under it, he added oil, started it up and I watched...

Now, I honestly do not know how it is lubed. I have downloaded and printed out the service manual.

It appears the oil travels down the drive axle (Lubrication Diagram page 2-27) towards the middle drive pinon gear.
    I did not see the pinon gear (no.4) getting lubed.

In the diagram, about halfway down the drive axle (no.2) it looks like it heads towards the middle driven pinon gear(no. 3) or what I am calling the output shaft.

It makes sense that the bearing on the output shaft would get lubed this way, however, looking into this area from below, I saw no oil flowing while it was running.

I assume that I should see it lubricating the shaft, and I saw no oil flowing near the area that the output shaft o-ring would seal.

I have uploaded a picture I got from this site to show the area I am talking about.

My question is this, - Could I have a weak or faulty oil pump? Could I have a clogged oil passage somewhere?

Thoughts?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VMAX96marked2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	118315

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is way beyond me but are there holes in the driven shaft that forces oil out to the pinon gear? The final output gear has an oil seal so it needs an oil channel to get out to it. Or does it?

Can you determine whether the final drive gear is dry or the pinon gear dry? Then you could check whether you have a clogged oil passage for final drive or a clogged oil passage for the pinion....

Interesting discussion. I'm keeping up trying to learn.
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12