IGNORED

New gun thread = openions welcome

slowrollwv

I'll probably never shoot this one, but nice to know it will if need be?? Should make a dandy deer rifle.. I did pick up a box of 6.5 ammo just because. Who knows... maybe some day?? :-) Thanks for the input. Once Chuck runs a few rounds thru his 'modern' Kimber it'd be interesting to hear how it performs....

Jack I will let you know how it shoots. If it shoots close to my 300 Win. Mag. I will be a happy camper as it shoots 1/2 in. or better at 100 yards.

Jack I will let you know how it shoots. If it shoots close to my 300 Win. Mag. I will be a happy camper as it shoots 1/2 in. or better at 100 yards.

Heck a half inch at a hundred is nothing to sneeze at...... I've been shooting a 6.5.. actually a 264WM (6.5x64)... for about 50 years and the reason I picked it was the flat ballistics. It'll drop 4" at 200. Zero'd in at 2" high at 200yds, and it'll deliver a kill shot on the cross hairs to 400. About my limit. And it loves 140gr. ammo. I imagine 140gr. would work with the 280AI as well??

Edited by Condor

I plan on the Nosler Partition 140. Vol should be 3200 or better. That is about what my 7 mm does with 150 gr. And my 300 win. Mag. is around 3350 with 150 gr.

Chuck that's smoking.... What powder are you using. My 264 clocks in at a little under 3000fps with Nosler 140's on a good day...

The ole 30-30 is hard to beat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Skip. I have a couple of '94's in 30-30 plus a '94AE, and...couple of '92's in 44-40. Also a Marlin 1895G in 45-70. There's a lot of romance in those old...and new... levers... :thumbsup2:

Chuck that's smoking.... What powder are you using. My 264 clocks in at a little under 3000fps with Nosler 140's on a good day...

I don't know what powder you use butt H870 at 74.0 gr. should put you at around 3088. I have found that you can load a little hotter than the Nosler book says. According to the Nosler book mine will be at 3196 with RL22 at 63 gr. and I can do a little better.

I don't know what powder you use butt H870 at 74.0 gr. should put you at around 3088. I have found that you can load a little hotter than the Nosler book says. According to the Nosler book mine will be at 3196 with RL22 at 63 gr. and I can do a little better.

I hope you have a few pounds of that H870 left Chuck. They haven't made any for a few years now... I run IMR4831.. a little faster burning than H4831.. and get around 2800'/s with a 140 grain Nosler SP. Plenty fast for me... I haven't loaded in a long time either, but they're still making 4831 if I need it...

I agree Skip. I have a couple of '94's in 30-30 plus a '94AE, and...couple of '92's in 44-40. Also a Marlin 1895G in 45-70. There's a lot of romance in those old...and new... levers... :thumbsup2:

Yeppers!! I have a lever action 300 Savage that now I gotta dig out and take some pics of - you lop eared lever lovin shooting varmints done expired me (typo intended).. LOVE this stuff,, wish I was home more!!! Keep the faith my lop eared varmint brothers!!!

In 1944 the US military used the .300 Savage as a base for assault cartridge research and design, eventually resulting in the T-65 cartridge which we know today as the .308 Winchester (1952) and the 7.62 NATO (1954). Major differences between the .300 Savage and .308Win are the shorter neck and overall length of the .300 Savage which was designed for the 99’s limited magazine length. SAAMI maximum average pressure rating for the .308 Winchester are 62,000psi as opposed to 47,000psi for the Savage due to considerations of earlier M99 action metallurgy.

My stepfather inhertited his father's .300 Savage, and my youngest brother now has it. Its taken Many-many deer.

I have been trying to get that M1 from my brother for close to 30 years but no go.

The Garand is another on the bucket list. I think I'm gonna have to get one from the CMP. On the open market folks think they're made of gold... It will probbly be cobbled together but I just want to shoot it... I already have 35 enblocs waiting... :-)

I got the new Boyd's custom thumb hole stock for the 308 today. Now I weight for a call to pick up the 280 later this week.

Lucky you... Thumb holes are illegal in Komiefornia.... Along with just about everything else 'cept Pot..... and aliens..

Lucky you... Thumb holes are illegal in Komiefornia.... Along with just about everything else 'cept Pot..... and aliens..[/QUOte] I thought New Yorkers were the only one with that problem....the KING of this state don't like the 2nd amendment.

Iron sights can shoot. I actually prefer them up to 60 or so yards. Used to be 100 yards but then I got old :backinmyday:

many long range rifle iron sight target shooters learn to focus on their front sight clearly and let the target be blurry. That technique seems to result in better groups and higher scores.

There are a few eye doctors who specialize in creating shooting glasses which provide the optimal focus for a given rifle's front sight.

Edited by RandyR