IGNORED

How to run carbs dry?

I own a couple of bikes and that can mean one will sit longer than expected after its last use, especially in the colder months.

So I like to run the carbs dry on my gravity fed bikes after each ride. The RSV is my first carb'd bike with a fuel pump and I've been shy about running it dry intentionally. I don't like gas to sit in the carbs for weeks or more... is there an easy way to avoid this?

TIA

I own a couple of bikes and that can mean one will sit longer than expected after its last use, especially in the colder months.

So I like to run the carbs dry on my gravity fed bikes after each ride. The RSV is my first carb'd bike with a fuel pump and I've been shy about running it dry intentionally. I don't like gas to sit in the carbs for weeks or more... is there an easy way to avoid this?

TIA

There is not an easy way to do it...the 1st time.

Install an external switch to control fuel pump power.

Then, just turn off the fuel at the petcock, then remove the fuel hose from the fuel tank. When the pump starts clicking fast you know it has pumped all the fuel through and you can cut fuel pump power via your switch you just installed.

I find it real easy with a long 5mm ball driver to drain the carbs (engine not running but key on every so often to push air through the system). Takes me less than 5 minutes now, that I have all the tubing cut and what not.

I live in Pa also, 2 bikes, one 35yrs old owned from new. I have never drained carbs on either bike. Heavy dose of Seafoam or Stabil at last fill up, run bike for 10min to make sure mix gets thru carbs. Bikes always fire rite up in the spring, and I have never rebuilt carbs on either one. Probably just jinxed myself:ignore: Oil, tires and how to store your bike for the winter, you are gonna get alot of opinions.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...