United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I'm New

Believe I'd put the bad cylinder at top dead center and install the compression tester hose ( assuming it has quick disconnect) and then hook up air compressor and see if the valves are leaking. You should be able to feel the air coming out the carb or the exhaust.
    Might need to adjust valves if the shims make it to tight , you can check the clearance with feeler gauges see the service manual for how. Or You might have bent valve which I had on an 88 Royale.
    You can replace the head in the bike.
    Good Luck

2. Likes RDawson liked this post
    United States
    SD
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's uncommon for engine failures, these things are pretty bulletproof, and also pretty darn heavy if you have to swap one out. Also depending on your comfort level it might make more sense to swap out a head than a whole engine if it comes to that. I like the borescope idea, a squirt of oil bringing up the compression suggest some possible ring/cyl wear which should be visible if it lacks compression that much. I'll assume that 10k is probably 110k mi depending on how other wear items on the bike look. 110k is a lot of miles on a bike that may not have been looked after properly. I hope you get it sorted, luckily parts are readily available and the wrenching is fairly straight forward. Mine has 75k and runs like a champ. We see a lot of Vmax and Venture with over 100k and still going strong.

Welcome!!

United States
    TX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Appreciate all the tips but I'm 72 and not looking to do any major engine work. Simple things I can do ans enjoy them but the COPD has stopped all my major work. About ready to just give up. Got 2 parts bikes just need someone to swap the parts around. Willing to pay a fair price for work done.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71284713_2486149941464135_5828425016156356608_n[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	118302

5. Likes videoarizona liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12