Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bummer

So Saturday night the company I work for had their annual Christmas Party. The food was fantastic and the live band was outstanding not unlike the band playing at our WNY rallies. A great variaty of music from country to old and new rock was played and as many of you know I do love to dance, so I barely stopped dancing all night, doing waltz's 2 steps, foxtrots, jives and swings and some of those other ones, I guess for the lack of a better word, I will just call freestyle.

All was going great when all of a sudden I felt my right knee pop and I near went down, which almost gave the phrase "how low can you go" a whole new meaning. Went to emergency the next day, were they did an ultra sound on my knee. This resulted in the ground breaking news of "Well Mr Bennink, You tore the Cartilage in your knee. So in one split second I went from twinkle toes to gimpy needing a cane to get around on. Of course I got the usual this is what sometimes happens when people over indulge at parties. Assuming she was referring to my having had too much to drink. I some what sarcastically asked her, so how much water should I have limited myself to, since that was all I drank the whole night. Too which she replied jokingly, well maybe a little would not have been such a bad idea.

Hopefully it heals up ok since I am not ready to give up riding yet. Of course I am surfing the internet now looking for miracle cures which we all know do not exist, but one can hope. Right?

I got to say though that poor leg has seen a lot of abuse from sports injures as a youth. That leg got injured so many times. twisted during high jumping competitions. It got side swiped by a tree during a motocross event through a bush course. Hung up in a stirrup as the horse I was working dragged me across a field were kids later found me unconscious. I once even rolle a skidoo were the leg got pinned between the body of the skidoo and the handlebar resulting in me roling with the skidoo insted of getting tossed free. I guess it was all bound to catch up with me sooner or later.
    Last edited by saddlebum; 12-17-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND

United States
    NC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bummer

Heal fast! The world needs more dancers!
    2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture
    1989 Yamaha Venture Royale
    1985 Kawasaki ZN700 4cyl shaft

3. Likes videoarizona liked this post
    United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any video replays?

just kidding. heal fast!!!
    Dahlonega, GA. The past was good enough for us.

5. Likes Dano liked this post
    United States
    IA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dang you play rough. Get well pt time
    rodney swailes

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least you did it at a better time of year than me, I did mine the day before the rally in Kentucky that we were going to go to. Mine healed up mostly, but you are older than me was at that time, so maybe you gets to sit longer than me. I had a week off, so was on crutches for that week and then back to work. Maybe it will work as well or even better for you, after all, sounds like your knee has more experience.
    Heal fast bro, or the next thing you'll be looking for on the internet will be a Spyder.

Nothing in this life
    will
    Get in the way of my future

8. Likes Patch liked this post
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your accident Ben. I can say, I do feel your pain. Hope you can avoid the ultimate fix.....Titanium. It will set off the metal detectors.

I'm 10 weeks into my second knee replacement and I have been back on the bike but only for a short ride so far. I can walk about one mile before I'm worn out and have to sit. Dancing???? we'll see about that when we get to Texas in a couple of weeks.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

United States
    PA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben, I have a very nice trike you may be interested in purchasing. I've had knee issues myself. Doc prescribed cortisone injections directly into the joint (that's fun!!) but they worked very well. No more issues with that knee. Good luck with any treatment you receive and Merry Christmas my friend.
    Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.

United States
    AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes!

Take care of that knee Ben....it's been through the mill, for sure, but you have many more miles to go on it!
    Prayers Up!
    USAF
    AFRTS Turkey
    1970-1973
    Patriot Guard
    "Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once." - Well worn saying
    "Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein

Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two stainless steel knees and a steel plate in my ankle. Hasn't stopped me from enjoying the bike. I like the look on the faces of the security guys at the airport when I go through the scanner. It lights up like a christmas tree.

United States
    FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel you. From a guy with two replacement knees.

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heal quick....at least before riding season !
    Don

Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary N. View Post
    Sorry to hear about your accident Ben. I can say, I do feel your pain. Hope you can avoid the ultimate fix.....Titanium. It will set off the metal detectors.

I'm 10 weeks into my second knee replacement and I have been back on the bike but only for a short ride so far. I can walk about one mile before I'm worn out and have to sit. Dancing???? we'll see about that when we get to Texas in a couple of weeks.
    Thanks for the kind words all. Nice to know that some of you who have been through it already, were able to go back to riding. That is one of my biggest fears. Not aches, pains and discomforts. Nor the likely hood that knee replacement is probably going to be a certainty. But the fear that it might mean I have to give up riding motorcycles and horses, as well as canoeing and backpacking. At least you people give me hope that these things I so enjoy may still be possible.
    I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SUCK IT UP BUTTERCUP.....You can't get out of running the putt putt tournament that easy..you have plenty of time to heal up and try another excuse.. p.s. heal up fast and stay out of the mosh pits...
    life is like a banana split, you first have to get by all the nuts to good to the sweet part....

United States
    NY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ben:
    I feel your pain. I did the same thing a year ago, but it wasn't as bad as your injury. I just limped around on a pair of crutches and a cane for a month. I currently am getting ready for extensive surgery, in two weeks, on my right shoulder due to damage of the shoulder joint and torn rotator cuff. It cut my riding season short this summer. I am hoping to be back on the bike by June 1st, but no guarantees, according to the surgeon. On top of that, I have developed some heart problems that will also require a heart operation in the Spring, once my shoulder has healed enough to be useful again.

I hope you heal fast and are back to dancing the night away!

Jim
    Life is too short to drink bad wine.

United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jayceesfolly View Post
    Ben:
    I feel your pain. I did the same thing a year ago, but it wasn't as bad as your injury. I just limped around on a pair of crutches and a cane for a month. I currently am getting ready for extensive surgery, in two weeks, on my right shoulder due to damage of the shoulder joint and torn rotator cuff. It cut my riding season short this summer. I am hoping to be back on the bike by June 1st, but no guarantees, according to the surgeon. On top of that, I have developed some heart problems that will also require a heart operation in the Spring, once my shoulder has healed enough to be useful again.

I hope you heal fast and are back to dancing the night away!

Jim
    Jim I know not all shoulder surgeries are the same but I had mine done this past March. They trimmed up the frayed rotator cuff, took out all the bone spurs, and repaired a full thickness labrum tear. Surgery was March 5th, to the dismay of my therapist I was riding locally in early May. I went on a Saddlesore run May 17th covering 1100 miles in 18.5 hours, and went on a 2200 mile round trip up to Niagara, met you at Bob's, down to Don's, and back to KY in June. The shoulder felt better on the bike than in any of our cages. It's pretty accurate on the weather forecast but I'm glad I had it done. I had gotten to the point of not being able to work between the weakness and the pain. I will suggest you have a good recliner, it was the only place I could sleep for a few weeks. After that I had a chair by the bed, I'd prop my arm in a pillow there to sleep. Good luck.
    Faded Blue is the fastest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast