IGNORED

driving lights, saddlebag guards, and full LED

Hello all,

I have searched for info on driving lights for my 2008 RSV and have found plenty here - but not too much about the actual support bar for the lights. My RSV does not have driving lights and I want to add them. Do I need to replace the bar that supports the turn signals? If I need to replace the bar, there are a thousand (possible exaggeration) hits when searching the web - most say they will fit but I am skeptical.

Any suggestions for a complete driving light kit - including the light bar, LED driving lights, wiring harness, switch, relay, hardware, etc.? Will I be able to use my existing turn signals or should I just put LED bulbs in the turn signals? As far as the headlight, it looks like just replacing the bulb with an LED bulb is the way to go rather than replacing the whole front light with a 7 inch LED. I can do any wiring changes myself.

I also want to replace my rear brake light and side reflectors with LEDs - any suggestions on this? Would like to add a strobe for the brake lights - where can I find information on this?

And finally, any suggestions for adding saddlebag guards - again, there are plenty available on e-bay but I am sure there are differences in quality. I don't want to skimp.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chuck

Hello all,

I have searched for info on driving lights for my 2008 RSV and have found plenty here - but not too much about the actual support bar for the lights. My RSV does not have driving lights and I want to add them. Do I need to replace the bar that supports the turn signals? If I need to replace the bar, there are a thousand (possible exaggeration) hits when searching the web - most say they will fit but I am skeptical.

Any suggestions for a complete driving light kit - including the light bar, LED driving lights, wiring harness, switch, relay, hardware, etc.? Will I be able to use my existing turn signals or should I just put LED bulbs in the turn signals? As far as the headlight, it looks like just replacing the bulb with an LED bulb is the way to go rather than replacing the whole front light with a 7 inch LED. I can do any wiring changes myself.

I also want to replace my rear brake light and side reflectors with LEDs - any suggestions on this? Would like to add a strobe for the brake lights - where can I find information on this?

And finally, any suggestions for adding saddlebag guards - again, there are plenty available on e-bay but I am sure there are differences in quality. I don't want to skimp.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Chuck

Check with Mike Eykamp, many of those ebay light bars are junk. Several options out there on LEDs. I went with Custom Dynamics signals - white as running lights and amber when signal is activated. Leo3wheel has pics on here of his.

When I installed a passing lamp bar on my '99 3 years ago I researched and found out the OEM Yamaha parts were the best option. There is a model for the Venture that has the holes for lower deflectors and there's a model for the Tour Deluxe that doesn't have those holes. I found a used RSTD and installed OEM Yamaha passing lamps since they had the proper hardware to reuse the original turn signal housings. You can use a generic spot lamp setup but would have to fabricate mounts for the factory turn signals or switch to aftermarket.

I installed a H4 direct replacement LED bulb but was less than impressed with the light scatter in our stock reflector. I recently went back to a bright white halogen bulb with LED spot lamps. There are instructions on the form of how to "gut" the original headlight and glue in a Projector LED housing.

Custom Dynamics made a direct replacement LED board that fit inside our Tail/Brake housing and plugged into the OEM socket. Last time I checked I did not see it on their page for sale, but you might try reaching out to them and asking about it. They also make drop-in boards that plug directly into the 1157 rear turn signals and are held in place by the cover screws. You'll either have to install a solid state flasher unit (and loose self canceling turn signals) or load-balance resistors.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-high-beam-and-low-beam-headlight-bulb/motorcycle-h4-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink-2000-lumens/3930/8566/?make=105&model=3743&scc_id=1940&year=2009

This link is a plug and play headlight conversion I used. I like it compared to factory but haven't used a Daymaker to compare it to. It's a quick and cheap conversion.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/motorcycle-high-beam-and-low-beam-headlight-bulb/motorcycle-h4-led-fanless-headlight-conversion-kit-with-compact-heat-sink-2000-lumens/3930/8566/?make=105&model=3743&scc_id=1940&year=2009

This link is a plug and play headlight conversion I used. I like it compared to factory but haven't used a Daymaker to compare it to. It's a quick and cheap conversion.

Buddy and I split a set from Amazon that seemed to be the "go to" model a year or two back. It wasn't bad, I had to run high beam on rural backroads to get any real forward throw of light but then you'd get to much side-scatter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJS9WVA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_XXN7DbFDG1E0E

Buddy and I split a set from Amazon that seemed to be the "go to" model a year or two back. It wasn't bad, I had to run high beam on rural backroads to get any real forward throw of light but then you'd get to much side-scatter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJS9WVA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_XXN7DbFDG1E0E

With only the OEM to compare to I get much better forward throw now. I can actually read road signs before I pass them 😁😁. Keep in mind I'm comparing a new LED to a 12 yr old bulb. First time I had my wife out at night she asked what I'd done since she could see where we were going now. I can see better on the bike than I can in my pickup that has brand new lights, it had the normal plastic cloudiness they get before the new ones. I'm sure it's not the market best but I'm happy with the bang for the buck.

With only the OEM to compare to I get much better forward throw now. I can actually read road signs before I pass them 😁😁. Keep in mind I'm comparing a new LED to a 12 yr old bulb. First time I had my wife out at night she asked what I'd done since she could see where we were going now. I can see better on the bike than I can in my pickup that has brand new lights, it had the normal plastic cloudiness they get before the new ones. I'm sure it's not the market best but I'm happy with the bang for the buck.

I will agree that road signs tend to light up better from the LED, and now that I re-read what I wrote I definitely did not present my complaint very clearly.

With the LED bulb installed in the Venture headlight:

Good forward throw "into space" but very little light illuminating the road. Signs and reflective markings pop'd but the pavement surface was still dark.

High beam gave me enough to illuminate the pavement so I didn't feel like I was riding into "fog" but then you'd have a lot of sidescatter and blind oncoming traffic.

I played with the mounting orientation and aim with no real improvements, thus I went back to a standard Halogen.

I put in a 7" LED Projector Headlight housing in the other bike and the beam focus is better at illuminating the road in front of the bike.

I will agree that road signs tend to light up better from the LED, and now that I re-read what I wrote I definitely did not present my complaint very clearly.

With the LED bulb installed in the Venture headlight:

Good forward throw "into space" but very little light illuminating the road. Signs and reflective markings pop'd but the pavement surface was still dark.

High beam gave me enough to illuminate the pavement so I didn't feel like I was riding into "fog" but then you'd have a lot of sidescatter and blind oncoming traffic.

I played with the mounting orientation and aim with no real improvements, thus I went back to a standard Halogen.

I put in a 7" LED Projector Headlight housing in the other bike and the beam focus is better at illuminating the road in front of the bike.

I gotta chalk this up to I don't know what I don't know coz I don't know it. Going from OEM to LED was such an improvement I'm tickled. I don't argue that it's the best but it works for me. We don't do much night riding anyway, she doesn't like it. Me being a dance with the one that brung ya kind of guy also slows me down to making lots of changes too. Now I'll quit hijacking the thread.

For replacing the reflectors with LEDs....these are probably what you want:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32376637841.html

You want the three wire systems, so you can wire them to both the running lights and the turn signals....and they will blink. Just make sure they fit the reflector area or close enough to make mounting easy. If you don't want the LEDs to blink, then get the 2 wire system.

IMG_20150609_152025_288.jpgIMG_20150612_140914_901.jpg

As far as headlight, the reason most LED bulbs don't work well on our housings is they aren't really made for our type of headlight. Make sure the bulb you get has the low beam cut off. If it does and if it has the ability to rotate the LED bulb in it's housing, then I bet the bulb would work perfectly for you. I found my bulbs using those search parameters.

These are about the best you can buy....not sure if these will fit (H4-don't remember LOL) but take a gander at the way it's built...and see the low beam cut off...that's what you want.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h4-led-headlight-bulbs-morimoto-2stroke.html

BTW, you will have to re-aim the headlight down some. Once I did that, I got great wide beam pattern and a solid cutoff. Plus my high beam lit the road for a long, long wway...

20190119_193508.jpg20190119_193518.jpg

Tail lights...yes...if you can find the LED board that fits directly into the housing then that's the way to go. Someone is bound to be making them. Look for Yamaha VStar bike models...some of those should fit.

Turn signals...no...Adding a resister to the circuit to take advantage of using LEDs is a waste. You are still drawing the same current as having regular bulbs. Using a proper relay for LEDs is the better way to go, but you do lose the self cancelling as was mentioned. Your call.

All doable, just do the research.

Edited by videoarizona
corrections

You want the three wire systems, so you can wire them to both the running lights and the turn signals....and they will blink. Just make sure they fit the reflector area or close enough to make mounting easy. If you don't want the LEDs to blink, then get the 2 wire system.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118209https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118210

As far as headlight, the reason most LED bulbs don't work well on our housings is they aren't really made for our type of headlight. Make sure the bulb you get has the low beam cut off. If it does and if it has the ability to rotate the bulb in it's housing, then I bet the bulb would work perfectly for you. I found my bulbs using those search parameters.

These are about the best you can buy....not sure if these will fit (H4-don't remember LOL) but take a gander at the way it's built...and see the low beam cut off...that's what you want.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/h4-led-headlight-bulbs-morimoto-2stroke.html

BTW, you will have to re-aim the headlight down some. Once I did that, I got great wide beam pattern and a solid cutoff. Plus my high beam lit the road for a long, long wway...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118211https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=118212

Tail lights...yes...if you can find the LED board that fits directly into the housing then that's the way to go. Someone is bound to be making them. Look for Yanmaha VStar bike models...some of those should fit.

Turn signals...no...Adding a resister to the circuit to take advantage of using LED's is a waste. You are still drawing the same current as having regular bulbs. Using a proper relay for LEds is the better way to go, but you do lose the self cancelling as was mentioned. Your call.

All doable, just do the research.

Thanks for the very good info and thanks to all others who responded. This should get me pointed in the right direction.

You can still make a 2-wire side marker blink. I did it on my C10 Kawaski Concours so that the side markers glowed with the front markers lights and then flashed on-off opposite of the front turn signals. I believe I wired them in-series with the hot leg of the front marker light and they "short" out when the turn signal flashed.

I didn't see anybody answer the strobe question, so here you go. I ordered two Feniex T3 strobes for $35 each and two mounting L-brackets for $5 each from the Feniex website. Installation was quick and easy, I mounted them under the luggage rack, synced them and tied them into the brake light circuit. Forum will not let me post links so if you want to see them in action go to YouTube and search this phrase:

Feniex T3 Strobes as auxillary brake lights on a motorcycle.

You will find video of the strobes on my bike.

Anyone have experience with this Show Chrome driving light kit?

Show Chrome 61-117L - LED DRIVING ELLIPTICAL RS VENTURE KIT

Show Chrome 62-112T - TURNSIGNAL ADAPTER (PAIR)

http://www.bigbikeparts.com/templates/product.aspx?ProductGuid=61-117L&GroupGuid=137#61-117LGallery[pp_gal]/0/

It appears the Show Chrome kit number 61-115 is the same as above 61-117L lit but has halogen bulbs instead of LEDs.

I have pretty much given up on finding the Yamaha OEM light bar - STR-4XY35-10-00 and STR-4XY35-40-00

I didn't see anybody answer the strobe question, so here you go. I ordered two Feniex T3 strobes for $35 each and two mounting L-brackets for $5 each from the Feniex website. Installation was quick and easy, I mounted them under the luggage rack, synced them and tied them into the brake light circuit. Forum will not let me post links so if you want to see them in action go to YouTube and search this phrase:

Feniex T3 Strobes as auxillary brake lights on a motorcycle.

You will find video of the strobes on my bike.

I like them but strobe lights are against the law in some states...not to be used as brake lights, etc..

Quite true, different laws in different states. In Florida what is restricted is lights that emulate law enforcement. Could be open to interpretation, but all law enforcement agencies in Florida run blue lights. Many run red as well, but all of them run blue. As long as they are tied into the brake circuit only I should be good. My riding buddy who gave me the idea and who also runs them on his bike (has for years) is a retired Highway Patrol Captain. If he doesn't think it is an issue in Florida, I suspect it will not be an issue for me. If I ever plan to ride in a state where it would be an issue, a disconnect switch would be easy to install.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought the Show Chrome 61-117L - LED DRIVING ELLIPTICAL RS VENTURE KIT - it was not cheap but I wanted LED and the Yamaha OEM light bar could not be found. The kit appears to be very high quality but I can not install them until I flock back up north in April (snow bird). I brought my Triumph to Florida instead of my RSV - maybe reverse that next year.

I will post a video of my installation experience when I have them installed.

My thanks to all who responed to my questions.