IGNORED

My 1200

larrydr

Just pickup a 1983 Venture from a friend . It ran great except for a battery problem , so I upgraded the battery along with some of the connections .

It has good battery power , starter works great , but engine will not fire .

I have the wiring diagram , and looking for a check point to see if the ignition coils are getting power .

Anyone know what I missed , does not make any sense .

larrydr

I will try adding fuel to the tank.

this all took place over 20 minutes.

I rode it into my shop , turned the key off.

Changed the battery , repaired the main power cable ( about 6 inches) .

It would not run .

I hope that I did not break a connection somewhere on the harness

Do the simple checks first;

Take a second lok at your wiring to be sure that you did not leave something disconnected.

If it has the old glass fuses check them over including the fuse holders on the fuse block These get weak and corroded with age and since you had to move it to swap out the battery something may have gotten disturbed. Or something was already close to failure and moving it just finished it off.

There is also a master fuse tucked in down along the left side of the battery with it's own wire connection to the battery. It tends to drop out of sight when replacing the battery and can be easily overlooked. Also check and make sure it did not blow during your battery exchange.

Check all the eyelets, they can develop corrosion in the insulation close to the eyelet and once disturbed can break clean. A simple test is just to pull the cables, the insulation will stretch if the wire, usually close to the terminal, is broken. Don't be afraid to give it a good pull, if the wire is sound you will not be able to hurt it.

Try removing the plugs. crank the engine over without the plugs to dry out the cylinders and ciculate the engine oil, Make sure you ground all the spark plug cable ends to prevent electrical damage to the coils. Then put in a fresh set of plugs. Its possible because you only ran it into the garage then tried to start it right after that she got flooded.

If all this checks out then you will need to look deeper. Sticky float needles can cause flooding, In most cases if this happens you will smell raw gas.

Do the simple checks first;

Take a second lok at your wiring to be sure that you did not leave something disconnected.

If it has the old glass fuses check them over including the fuse holders on the fuse block These get weak and corroded with age and since you had to move it to swap out the battery something may have gotten disturbed. Or something was already close to failure and moving it just finished it off. If you find this is the issue and the fuse block is pooched don't just replace it. But upgrade to one of the mini blade ATM fuse blocks. Very common to find in the electrical section of Marine equipment stores but also available from car parts stores and amazon. Marine stores tend to have a better selection so you can customize your hook up with additional fuses for accessories you may want to add.

There is also a master fuse tucked in down along the left side of the battery with it's own wire connection to the battery. It tends to drop out of sight when replacing the battery and can be easily overlooked. also check and make sure it did not blow during your battery exhange.

Check all the eyelets, they can develop corrosion in the insulation close to the eyelet and once disturbed can break clean. A simple test is just to pull the cables, the insulation will stretch if the wire, usually close to the terminal, is broken. Don't be afraid to give it a good pull, if the wire is sound you will not be able to hurt it.

Try removing the plugs. crank the engine over without the plugs, Make sure you ground all the spark plug cable ends to prevent electrical damage to the coils. Then put in a fresh set of plugs. Its possible because you only ran it into the garage then tried to start it right after that she got flooded.

If all this checks out then you will need to look deeper. Sticky float needles can cause flooding, Imn most cases if this happens you will smell raw gas.

emergenc cu off swich

pardon misspelling....comp on friz

saddlebum;1072216]Do the simple checks first;

If it has the old glass fuses check them over including the fuse holders on the fuse block These get weak and corroded with age and since you had to move it to swap out the battery something may have gotten disturbed. Or something was already close to failure and moving it just finished it off. If you find this is the issue and the fuse block is pooched don't just replace it. But upgrade to one of the mini blade ATM fuse blocks. Very common to find in the electrical section of Marine equipment stores but also available from car parts stores and amazon. Marine stores tend to have a better selection so you can customize your hook up with additional fuses for accessories you may want to add.

There is also a master fuse tucked in down along the left side of the battery with it's own wire connection to the battery. It tends to drop out of sight when replacing the battery and can be easily overlooked. also check and make sure it did not blow during your battery exhange.

Try removing the plugs. crank the engine over without the plugs, Make sure you ground all the spark plug cable ends to prevent electrical damage to the coils. Then put in a fresh set of plugs. Its possible because you only ran it into the garage then tried to start it right after that she got flooded.

If all this checks out then you will need to look deeper. Sticky float needles can cause flooding, Imn most cases if this happens you will smell raw gas.

...repaired the main power cable ( about 6 inches) .

"Main Power cable"? "about six inches"

I don't understand. What are you calling the "main power cable"? And you repaired "about six inches" how?

First thing I would do is check with a VOM that you indeed have 12 volts on EACH SIDE of the "IGNITION" fuse.

All good advice so far IMHO. I know it's fairly easy to misplace a wire leading to either post on the battery when doing a replacement,, there isnt always a lot of room to play with when connecting things back up.. I would look very closely and make sure I didnt miss a wire on the reconnect too..

emergenc cu off swich

pardon misspelling....comp on friz

saddlebum;1072216]

Normally the 1st thing to look at but in this case, I did not include this in my suggestions because generally the "emergenc cu off swich" also prevents you from cranking the engine over and it was stated it cranks over but does not fire.

BTW the copy paste works great on my comp. Sorry DragonRider you know I just had to jump on that :whistling::rotf::confused24:

• 5 months later...
"Main Power cable"? "about six inches"

I don't understand. What are you calling the "main power cable"? And you repaired "about six inches" how?

First thing I would do is check with a VOM that you indeed have 12 volts on EACH SIDE of the "IGNITION" fuse.

I replaced the cable from the battery to start relay ( short cable ) , then longer cable to starter to the start relay .

Normally the 1st thing to look at but in this case, I did not include this in my suggestions because generally the "emergenc cu off swich" also prevents you from cranking the engine over and it was stated it cranks over but does not fire.

BTW the copy paste works great on my comp. Sorry DragonRider you know I just had to jump on that :whistling::rotf::confused24:

You are right on that one ....I have riding motorcycle since 1964 and have some times forgot about the kill switch

Lost a fuse I bet. Check all fuses, both sides while installed, might be the answer. Actually, check the wires at both ends. The fuse holders get to be a problem after a few years, and yours would be way over due.

Did find a few bad connections in the wire harness , and have changed the fuse block to a newer automotive with the small blade type fuses

All good advice so far IMHO.

I am developing and allergy to the above mentioned? hmm

Starts with eyes not being able to focus, then confusion and dizziness, mild at first! Then comes the anxiousness, my tummy tightens and turns, endlessness black spots start to appear, then a dark hole opens and POOF!!!

And this tune always appears between my loppears?

YA, its going to take I while before forgiveness comes your way MUCH OLDER BROTHER

I am developing and allergy to the above mentioned? hmm

Starts with eyes not being able to focus, then confusion and dizziness, mild at first! Then comes the anxiousness, my tummy tightens and turns, endlessness black spots start to appear, then a dark hole opens and POOF!!!

And this tune always appears between my loppears?

YA, its going to take I while before forgiveness comes your way MUCH OLDER BROTHER

:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

:think:,, lucky I found this little brother,, want some more big brother advice?? When you want to summons someone in the club, your big brother included,, put an "@" directly in front of their accurately spelled club name before you post your reply.. That will send a message to them notifying them that you are gunning for em.. An example? I am going to put an "@" in front of your friends name that always defends you against your big brothers teasing = Flyinfool and watch him magically appear..You ready? @Flyinfool ,, your french buddy needs you...

:big-grin-emoticon::big-grin-emoticon::thumbsup:

:think:,, lucky I found this little brother,, want some more big brother advice?? When you want to summons someone in the club, your big brother included,, put an "@" directly in front of their accurately spelled club name before you post your reply.. That will send a message to them notifying them that you are gunning for em.. An example? I am going to put an "@" in front of your friends name that always defends you against your big brothers teasing = Flyinfool and watch him magically appear..You ready? Flyinfool ,, your french buddy needs you...

Thanks Bro, now how do I do the highlighted part:think:

Thanks Bro, now how do I do the highlighted part:think:

look at the victims name by their avatar,, spell it exactly as spelled there.. Precision is the name of the game.. Now if they have a space between their name somewhere,, something along the line of "Yama Mama" - then I am not sure.. I still have not figured that one out... I know if I write YamaMama , just dropping the space,, only "Yama" will show up as summons as shown.. Gonna have to find someone wayyy smarter than your big brother to teach you that hat trick..:big-grin-emoticon:

speaking of crazy stuff,, I wonder if Marcarl ever figured out where the ghost chatter named Robogord came from last night,, now that was SPOOKY!!

Many thanks to all who did reply to my post ..my 1200...I found 3 problems ..1 was bad connection at the voltage regulator connector ... 2 found bad connection at the fuel pump connector ...3 found badly corroded wire at battery terminal .. I have the bike running fine now