IGNORED

Factory spring rate on the rear shock

What is the spring rate on the stock shock for 1st gen bikes?

also there is more than 2 models of rear shocks?

I noticed my 1985 has a shock that has the spring enclosed and the 1988 has an exposed spring on the rear shock.

What is the spring rate on the stock shock for 1st gen bikes?

also there is more than 2 models of rear shocks?

I noticed my 1985 has a shock that has the spring enclosed and the 1988 has an exposed spring on the rear shock.

Spring rate for rear shock on the Standard XVZ is 481 lb/in. (non CLASS shock).

Spring rate for the rear shock on the Royale XVZ is 406 lb/in (CLASS shock).

Your 1985 is a STANDARD? (No CLASS?) Since there was no 1985 XVZ12 Standard sold for the US market, it must be a Canadian model, or the original CLASS shock was swapped for a non-CLASS shock. What is the VIN for the 1985? For the 1988?

Non-CLASS rear shock:

Rear shock, 1984 Standard 1b.JPG

CLASS rear shock:

Rear shock, 1984 Royale 1a.jpg

My bikes are both Canadian models.

My 88 has the second shock with the exposed spring.

The compressor does not seem to work on this bike and the rear of the bike is really low. I cannot event put it on the sidestand. It wants to fall over to the right.

On the 1985 it seems to be the 1st type of shock that I have (without the exposed spring)

I also happen to have a spare non-class rear shock as my 1985 came with two boxes of goodies, remnents of when a previous owner swapped a 1300 motor into it from a wrecked bike.

So with a non working CLASS, I can swap the spare shock onto my 1988 and have a stiffer rear shock. Correct?

My bikes are both Canadian models.

My 88 has the second shock with the exposed spring.

The compressor does not seem to work on this bike and the rear of the bike is really low. I cannot event put it on the sidestand. It wants to fall over to the right.

On the 1985 it seems to be the 1st type of shock that I have (without the exposed spring)

I also happen to have a spare non-class rear shock as my 1985 came with two boxes of goodies, remnents of when a previous owner swapped a 1300 motor into it from a wrecked bike.

So with a non working CLASS, I can swap the spare shock onto my 1988 and have a stiffer rear shock. Correct?

I pulled the line to the rear shock loose from the compressor, routed it out the side under the seat, and installed the "shrader" valve off the non-class unit on the end of the hose. Not as clean as swapping out the entire shock and hoses, as the schrader is hanging loose instead of mounted in the proper bracket. I used a cable tie to hold it from flopping around. After you get the seat off, a 10 minute job.

BUT, i did not know the non-class shock had a heavier spring. I may go through the trouble to pull the non-class shock from the parts bike and switch it out now that I know it.

The non-class shock still uses air. Check that it holds air before bothering to switch it out!