IGNORED

Fluid film

uncledj

I bought a new (to me) pickup. It's a 2017 Ram 2500, crew cab, 4x4 it's a Tradesman, so not a lot of bells and whistles, which is OK by me for a truck.

Anyhoo, it's in great shape, low mileage, and after looking at pretty much all the trucks out there 5 yrs old I see a lot of rot...especially around the rear wheel wells.

I did a bit of research on how to undercoat, and there's different products out there that people swear by but I decided on Fluid film.

I gotta say...I love this stuff. I undercoated the entire vehicle (6 cans) and got the 360 degree spray nozzle on a 3' tube so I could get inside the rockers, doors and wheel wells. A bit smelly for a week or so after treatment, but this stuff creeps like you wouldn't believe.

The thing about it is it continues to lubricate as well.

On my Expedition, I've the running boards that retract, and they tend to get stuck. (common problem) So, I'd WD40 them every couple of weeks to keep it in check, but if I'd go a month without treating, they'd start sticking again. I treated them with Fluid Film, and it's been over a month with no sticking....not even the hesitation that I'd notice when they started getting tight.

I sprayed the coupler on my trailer with it to protect it for winter, and am amazed how smooth it works now.

I gotta tell you....Fluid Film is right up there with Seafoam in my book.

I'm in no way associated with the company that makes this stuff, but just wanted to share with my Venturerider friends what a great product this stuff is.

Take it or leave it, but IMHO this is one of those products that actually works great to protect, or for lasting lubrication.

:thumbsup2:

Gas. 6.4. Also has the Snow Chief package, which gives it a posi rear end and a 220 amp alternator...both cool with me.

I was open to diesel, but couldn't justify the extra $10k, considering I rarely / never tow anything that heavy....with the 6.4 my listed tow capacity is over 14,000 anyway.

I bought my last truck in 06 with 30,000 miles on it, and just sold it to a good friend....13 years later....with 95,000 miles on it. Point being, that I don't rack up enough miles on my truck to justify all the miles you supposedly get from a diesel.

By my nature, I tend to pick apart things that I buy, but can't find a single thing to complain about with this truck....I've had it for 4 months now and I love it.

Great truck.

20190915_180835_resized.jpg

A man after my own heart,,,,, Fluid Film!!! use it for everything, but does not do well for a penetrating oil, unless you have a week to wait for it to work and you can keep things warm.

On the truck fender issue though: couple of years ago I took my 08 Ram in for it's annual treatment at Rust Check, and after it was done I talked to the guy and asked him how come the rear fenders were bubbling, did he not get the product in there or what. He proceeded to remove the rear taillight and showed me all the 'oil' in there and said it was not for lack of Rust Check, but also couldn't enlighten me as to why the bubbles. This fall I got around to sanding down the bubbles and provide a fix before rot showed up. I found one (1) tinny hole under the paint, that was all, so the rust was not coming from inside the fender. What I did find was that the paint on the underside of the fender, the part that curves around to join the inner skirt, was loosing it's paint big time, and that moisture had creeped up the outside, and so got things rusty. So watch that part of the wheel-well, I know I will.

The Canadian Military did a study on the various products for rust control. One thing that surprised me is that the ACF50 I posted about in https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?141934-ACF-50 for protecting and cleaning electrical items also ranked up there with the top listed items for corrosion control. Fluid film was not part of the study but it would have been nice to see where it ranked. It is interesting that Krown and Rust Check two of the more familiar products did not rank as well as one might have expected. Also worth noting is that corrsion free has a much better warranty based on application every 18 months versus every 12 months.

One thing I would like to point out is that in Canada even though Corrosion Free shown on the chart as Corr 3000 is at the top of the list the most common place to have it applied is Canadian tire not really a good choice. However it is not exclusive to Canadian tire and If you check out https://corrosionfree.com/ you will find a list of other applicators who are more reliable in performing a proper application. You can also buy Corrosion Free on line and apply it yourself if you wish. they provide an assortment of self applying kits from simple spray bombs to professional level equipment.

I have not tried fluid film as a rust protection per say but I have found it extremely good at freeing up corroded moving parts. It may not react as quickly as some penetrating oils for freeing up nuts and bolts but leave it sit for a bit and it works wonders. I actually convinced our parts dept to stock it for the shop as it works amazingly well to free up hard to release fifth wheels and keep them working free better than anything else I have tried over the years. Along with a good penetrating oil ACF50, FLUID FILM and SEAFOAM are always kept in good supply on my shelf in my garage at home.

Check out the chart showing the level of protection as determined by the military study. I also attached the complete study if anyone is interested in a long read.

rust protection study results.pdf

p526285.pdf

Edited by saddlebum

I have been looking for awhile now. Just sold my 96 2500 Cummins in like April or so. I was looking for a crew cab probably a year before that. In the price range I wanted to stay in pickings were thin. I ended up with a 2012 Ram 2500 with the 5.7. I would have prefered the 6.4 but I am not really towing anything rite now and if I do get a toy hauler or something we will just stay within our weight, which is like over 12k any ways. 112k on it but its a clean looking truck. Sales man looked at me kinda funny when I crawled under it a few times to look things over. LOL

New Truck.jpg

I've read some good things about fluid film. Ford tech makuloco just put out a video on undercoating. He used something called woolwax that he said he preferred over fluid film because it didn't smell bad like fluid film.

I would disagree. Applied to a perfectly dry vehicle yes it is effective but unlike Fliid Film, ACF50 or Corrosion Free which all drive moisture out, Woolwax can actually trap moisture against the metal. Edited by saddlebum

Three more interesting articles : Also you will note that any reviews concerning Corrosion free a good unless it has been done by Canadian tire so If you do opt for corrosion free stay away from Canadian Tire and check Corrsion free's website for an Independent / more trust worthy applicator. You would actually be better off buying the stuff direct from corrsion free and applying it yourself rather than allowing Canadian tire to do the job. That's not to say there may be the odd store that does a good job but for the most part you are better to avoid Canadian tire. Also I could be mistaken but I do not believe Corrosion free is available in the US.

https://cansumer.ca/best-rust-proofing/

https://www.howtosavemoney.ca/which-rust-proofing-service-is-b

See also this interesting video.

Edited by saddlebum