IGNORED

SVTC Seat Modification: It's Done!!

Here are the pics of the finished product

seat mounted3.jpg Here it is mounted without Utopia backrest on, Looks pretty good huh? I like the diamond stitching looks good with the style of bike. Notice no gap at the back of pillion seat.

seat mounted2.jpg Side view of my seat with a bit of curve now into the (now stationary lumbar pad) The lumbar pad in now fixed where I ride 99.9% of the time. It has also been built up about 1" higher

seat mounted4.jpg you can see how the gaps around the lumbar pad were filled in and the Utopia mount

seat mounted1.jpg And finally with the Utopia backrest mounted. So should I diamond the Utopia facing? Too Much Diamond? what do you guys think?

I will take it out and ride Sunday ( Going to the Long Beach Motorcycle Show Saturday) But it feels pretty good sitting still. Factory seat heater working fine. So far very pleased.

That is a great modification! Do you know if the fabricators would be interested in doing more overhauls? Cost factors including shipping? Raising the level of the existing rider back rest to be similar to the one that could be purchased? Thank you for any responses.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have only had the opportunity to ride it about 150 miles (work and the holiday) but it felt pretty good. The area where the seating surface blends into the lumbar pad is 100% better and supports my tailbone area much better. I need to get it out for a 300 + miler and really get a feel for it. Hopefully this weekend if the weather doesn't go crazy. The guy that did it works for Lancaster Auto Interiors. I found him through a guy at work who is a car guy. Mind you this is his first undertaking of this kind, re-designing a motorcycle seat. He had re-upholstered a few. He was extremely busy during the time he had my seat and worked on it a few hours a day, all told it took about 2 -3 weeks from start to finish. To answer questions about shipping I am not sure, as he was local to me. I also supplied my own padding which was close to $100. He can probably do anything you want done like raising the stock lumbar pad, although he may have to extend the frame of it to keep the stiffness in it. I think he would entertain doing more projects like this one. You have to remember I could go there and brainstorm with him with the seat in front of us both. He also works at his own pace with it and has many auto projects he does at the same time so you would have to be prepared to be without your seat for a few weeks. If it is long distance you would need some specific photos or drawings of what you want. I gave him photos of a couple of different seats so he could see the slope from seating area into the backrest. All told it was a bit over 2/3 the price of a Corbin but retained the stock look, factory heating and the diamond pattern on the seating surface looks fantastic live, as well as getting rid of the gap between pillion seat and backrest. I also used leather which made it a bit more expensive. And I benefited from being the first guy to do it.

I'll let you guys know how it is on an extended ride shortly

• 2 weeks later...