IGNORED

Snapped the CB antennae

Ripside

I was putting a cover on last night, it snagged on the CB antennae, and it snapped right off on the piece that pivots.

I'm not mad about the ridiculously long whip antennaes anyway, does anyone have experience with the shorter flexible aftermarket antennaes? The CB is *not* critical to me, but I would like the best possible FM reception.

I was putting a cover on last night, it snagged on the CB antennae, and it snapped right off on the piece that pivots.

I'm not mad about the ridiculously long whip antennaes anyway, does anyone have experience with the shorter flexible aftermarket antennaes? The CB is *not* critical to me, but I would like the best possible FM reception.

pretty sure if you read both the motorcycle manual or the instruction sheet for the cover carefully that no where does it state that you should snap off your CB antenna. :no-no-no:

But since you did there are many ways of replacing it. Most like the fire stick, I use a wilson 2000 but have also used other types. First you will need to replace the antenna base with one of the ones used to accept a 3/8 NF thread bolt. Most of the more common antenna,s have 3/8 NF thread on the bottom. This leaves you open to a variety of choices for the antenna including 102 inch whip if you feel crazy enough to go for it. After you cut your coax off right at the aantenna base which you will then remove and chuck. There are basically two types. One which requires you to instal a PL-259 connector on the end of the cable where you just cut it. And then connect it to the cb antenna mount. The other simply consists of putting a 5/8 eyelet on the outer braid and a 3/8 eyelet on the center wire and connecting directly to the antenna mount. Now this are two slightly different mount styles but both accept antennas 3/8 NF THD. I prefer option 2. It my not look as classy as option 1 but it is simpler , stronger and more compact.

Type1

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-Chrome-Amateur-Radio-Antennas/dp/B001JT7AJA?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Type 2

https://www.wearecb.com/heavy-duty-stud-mount-for-ring-terminal-bulk.html

Edited by saddlebum

pretty sure if you read both the motorcycle manual or the instruction sheet for the cover carefully that no where does it state that you should snap off your CB antenna. :no-no-no:

:crying:

Great info.

I didn't mention that I actually DID fold the antennaes down before attempting to put the cover on, haha.

TBH I don't think Mr Previous Owner typically had them folded down, as they were both pointing 180 away from the front of the bike. Both of the sliders over the pivot points needed some WD-40 to break loose and slide up. This one that broke had obviously already been stressed, though. There was maybe a pound of force on it when it broke.

It's so unsettling to "break" a bike less than week after bringing it home.

But since you did there are many ways of replacing it. Most like the fire stick, I use a wilson 2000 but have also used other types. First you will need to replace the antenna base with one of the ones used to accept a 3/8 NF thread bolt. Most of the more common antenna,s have 3/8 NF thread on the bottom. This leaves you open to a variety of choices for the antenna including 102 inch whip if you feel crazy enough to go for it. After you cut your coax off right at the aantenna base which you will then remove and chuck. There are basically two types. One which requires you to instal a PL-259 connector on the end of the cable where you just cut it. And then connect it to the cb antenna mount. The other simply consists of putting a 5/8 eyelet on the outer braid and a 3/8 eyelet on the center wire and connecting directly to the antenna mount. Now this are two slightly different mount styles but both accept antennas 3/8 NF THD. I prefer option 2. It my not look as classy as option 1 but it is simpler , stronger and more compact.

Type1

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-Chrome-Amateur-Radio-Antennas/dp/B001JT7AJA?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Type 2

https://www.wearecb.com/heavy-duty-stud-mount-for-ring-terminal-bulk.html

There is a very compact CB antennae base that provides a 90° connection for the coax cable. It is called Firering.

I used it in combination with a Firestick on my First Gen.

CB Antennae continuity.giffirestik-cb-antenna-kit-no-bracket.jpgMK-FR002.jpgIMG_1205 (Large).jpg