IGNORED

Hey,, Mom Yam,, got another idea for bikes of the future...

cowpuc

With all the hype and push toward Electric Motorcycles I can't help but wonder why no one has ventured into the Hybrid arena. Instead of being limited to distance traveled due to battery depletion, a hybrid gas/electric powered scoot would enable the rider to travel long distances, non stop. Plus, if done correctly, breaking the 100 mpg glass ceiling on a tour bike should easily be within reach. We have been breaking 65 mpg in our little Hyundai Ioniq CAGE now on a regular basis. Personally and IMHO, the responses I have been seeing about the new HD Electric bike (and others) has been :thumbdown:mostly due to the price (30 grand for two wheels and an electric motor?) but also due to the range before run out of juice.. I really think a "hybrid" = gas engine AND electric would be a game changer... Of course,, I am admittedly one of those lop eared lame brainered varmints who thought the 1700 cc V-Max motor instead of an air cooled V-Twin in the new Venture would have been a game changer and produced better sales on your touring bike offering so there's that but I still cant help but wonder if the first producer out with an actual Hybrid bike may be onto something in the future of motorcycling.. :missingtooth:

Great idea Puc... For what it's worth a hybrid is the only way to go... Maybe a 90cc powered generator charging a bank of AGM's pushing two EV motors on a touring scoot... High MPG's, plus long distance... Can you imagine what it would be like to not have stop every 150 miles for gas?? Except for potty breaks... :backinmyday::whistling:

Great idea Puc... For what it's worth a hybrid is the only way to go... Maybe a 90cc powered generator charging a bank of AGM's pushing two EV motors on a touring scoot... High MPG's, plus long distance... Can you imagine what it would be like to not have stop every 150 miles for gas?? Except for potty breaks... :backinmyday::whistling:

Nope I can't imagine that. I usually tour with the wife and potty breaks always rule the distance between breaks.

Great idea Puc... For what it's worth a hybrid is the only way to go... Maybe a 90cc powered generator charging a bank of AGM's pushing two EV motors on a touring scoot... High MPG's, plus long distance... Can you imagine what it would be like to not have stop every 150 miles for gas?? Except for potty breaks.:whistling:

Exactly Jack,, you are onto my point! Way I figure it, if this little 4 cylinder Hybrid Ioniq we have been travelling in can regularly see +60 mpg shooting back n forth from Commie forn ya to Michigan and back again,, aint no reason that someone can't produce a full blown touring scoot with similar design dynamics that can top 100 mpg..

Another point to ponder is that Trooper (our Ioniq), Tip and I camped out down on the south west border at a place called Organ Pipe Cactus NP a while back. 104 degrees at night. Ran the air conditioning with the cabin temp set at 68 degrees. The air pump runs off the high voltage battery and when the battery would run low, the ICE (Hybrid language for Internal Combustion Engine - I learned that since owning this thing,, old dogs new tricks ya know :178:) would kick on to charge the battery. In that environment the air pump would run for 40 minutes and then the ICE would cycle for 3 minutes.. For a 13 hour camp out, it cost less than 3 bucks (1 gallon of fuel) to stay comfy all night long!!

Years ago, when leaving Moab on one of our cross country trips, Tweeks/Tip and I bumped into a VERY serious Electric motorcycle cross country rider named Terry Hersher. He and Craig Vetter (yep, Vetter fairing icon) had worked for many years designing streamlining kits for the Zero electric bike Terry was riding. Terry and I chatted for a longgg time at the gas station we had both stopped at.. He was having a great trip with the only real flaw that he discribed being that he had to stop every 120 miles or so to top off his battery = +4 hours of down time.. Our discussion centered around the need for battery technology to catch up in order for Electric vehicles to become worthy for touring.. Back then, I had no clue about the whole Hybrid idea (still know very little) but knowing what I do now,, I SERIOUSLY wonder if the Hybrid ICE/Electric should not have been discussed during that dialog.

Nope I can't imagine that. I usually tour with the wife and potty breaks always rule the distance between breaks.

I am there with you Corporal Newkirk, 100%!! Definitely gotta have those potty breaks.. On the other hand though,, especially while traveling the endless desert regions,,, not all of them potty breaks found a fuel station attached to the pee area.. Matter of fact,, even though 150 miles sounds like a pretty good distance, we discovered numerous areas that even 150 miles of range was iffy. Matter of fact, due to our love for finding out what is behind those distant mountains,, even 600 miles to a 10 gallon tank on Trooper can get iffy and we had to drift into a fuel station under battery power. Still stopping for potty breaks though :big-grin-emoticon:

I like Puc's thinking, at least when I can understand what he is trying to communicate. I would like to see a reasonably light weight bike with a very low center of gravity. Also would need to run the interstate speeds at a minimum, faster would be good. :superman::usa::banana::cool10::essen_024::bowdown:

It does take some special learning tactics and extra special attention to detail to follow me at times don't it my eternal brother :doh::stirthepot::happy34:!! Soo glad you are figuring it out Sly!! :guitarist 2:

Mom Yam,, if you are attempting to follow this,, Sly brings up a VERY serious note/point here.. We aint talking about no moped powered scoot (although I do love my mopeds),, we are talking SERIOUS motovational Hybrid power... Trooper has a 38kw electric motor that yields 126 ft/pds of torque right off the line, combined with his 1600cc 4 cylinder engine he gets a total yield of 140 horse power. Sport mode on the tranny will launch him from a dead stop REAL worthy like.. Normal mode on the tranny will yield +50 mpg at a steady +100 mph (Troops cruise control will still set at 117 mph - maybe beyond but that is as fast as I have ran him).

Sly (and Mom Yam),, I am thinking a similar arrangement on a full blown, CTFW, touring scoot.. No reason why not IMHO.. Maybe drop the 1600cc engine for a smaller 1200cc V-4 (I am a lop eared old school varmint still stuck on the V-4 bike platform :stirthepot::178::confused24:) like our original MK 1's had. Troops red line is set at 5500,,, the range where our bikes are just getting started in developing some serious HP,,, Mom Yam = using the tiny little (by todays standards) V-4 - you could use the healthy electric torque for a hard hitting linear launch then engage the V-4 when needed and rev limit it at 8 grand.. Another thought for some REAL excitement would be to wrap the project around a Liter bike engine like @CaseyJ955 and I been :Im not listening to about :scared:.. Tiny little 1000cc engine producing +150 horse and let the electric motor handle any deminished torque needs lost to ICE displacement ...

Actually Sly,,, I am (see if you can follow this) talking about a package that slays in all arena's = MPG and performance.. A real game changer as it were!! :thumbsup:

It does take some special learning tactics and extra special attention to detail to follow me at times don't it my eternal brother :doh::stirthepot::happy34:!! Soo glad you are figuring it out Sly!! :guitarist 2:

Mom Yam,, if you are attempting to follow this,, Sly brings up a VERY serious note/point here.. We aint talking about no moped powered scoot (although I do love my mopeds),, we are talking SERIOUS motovational Hybrid power... Trooper has a 38kw electric motor that yields 126 ft/pds of torque right off the line, combined with his 1600cc 4 cylinder engine he gets a total yield of 140 horse power. Sport mode on the tranny will launch him from a dead stop REAL worthy like.. Normal mode on the tranny will yield +50 mpg at a steady +100 mph (Troops cruise control will still set at 117 mph - maybe beyond but that is as fast as I have ran him).

Sly (and Mom Yam),, I am thinking a similar arrangement on a full blown, CTFW, touring scoot.. No reason why not IMHO.. Maybe drop the 1600cc engine for a smaller 1200cc V-4 (I am a lop eared old school varmint still stuck on the V-4 bike platform :stirthepot::178::confused24:) like our original MK 1's had. Troops red line is set at 5500,,, the range where our bikes are just getting started in developing some serious HP,,, Mom Yam = using the tiny little (by todays standards) V-4 - you could use the healthy electric torque for a hard hitting linear launch then engage the V-4 when needed and rev limit it at 8 grand.. Another thought for some REAL excitement would be to wrap the project around a Liter bike engine like CaseyJ955 and I been :Im not listening to about :scared:.. Tiny little 1000cc engine producing +150 horse and let the electric motor handle any deminished torque needs lost to ICE displacement ...

Actually Sly,,, I am (see if you can follow this) talking about a package that slays in all arena's = MPG and performance.. A real game changer as it were!! :thumbsup:

I don't think you or I have enough years left to manufacture one. So that leaves the MC companies to built it and I don't know if I have enough years left to ever see one. :bang head::no-no-no::backinmyday:

Your eternal brother,

:farmer: