IGNORED

Swaping Cylinder heads

Hi, I am stuck with an engine problem. SO the problem is i purchase a 1996 Royal Star Touring XVZ1300AT with a broken conrod thinking i'd just slot another engine in. I'm in Australia so there are not a lot of wrecked bikes for parts. Then in the USA was advertised a 1999 Royal Start Touring engine and i check the VIN suitability on eBay and went ahead and ordered it at a crazy price with freight but didn't really have an option.

Then it arrived and I noticed the exhaust air injectors(maybe cap off so thats OK), but the carburetor boots are much larger on this engine so the old carby would not fit. I then asked them for the VIn it came of and it turn out int a Royal Star Venture XVZ1300TF, similar, but different!!

So i thought great, I'll take the boots off the old engine and just fit them, but NO, the mounting bolts pitch is much larger on the venture engine so that wont work.

I'm now stuck and my questions are :

Option 1 is to get the Venture carby's but I believe that the venture carburetors end up much higher and wont fit in a Touring frame and would need to filter air box changed.

Option 2 swap the heads on the engines, a pain but it solves both problems and they look like they would be able to be swapped ok so anyone whos done this I'd appreciate and advise.

As I recall over on the Delphi forums for Royal Stars and Royal Star Ventures a few folks have swapped out the original Royal motors for Venture motors, I am pretty certain what they did was to make an adapter plate that went between the Venture motor and the Royal Star carbs.

That would require the help of a decent machine shop, but I doubt it would be very expensive, and surely a lot less trouble and effort than swapping heads.

I will pop over to the Delphi forums and see if I can find any help on this.

So I did get a response, and it was not what I had hoped for, there may be a performance issue if you graft 28mm carbs from the Royal Star on to the Venture motor that normally uses 32 mm carbs, what I was thinking about was guys that wanted to put the 32mm carbs on the Royal Star motors to increase the performance.

The suggestion was to get a set of 32mm carbs from a Venture and maybe use individual pod filters in place of the air box.

So I did get a response, and it was not what I had hoped for, there may be a performance issue if you graft 28mm carbs from the Royal Star on to the Venture motor that normally uses 32 mm carbs, what I was thinking about was guys that wanted to put the 32mm carbs on the Royal Star motors to increase the performance.

The suggestion was to get a set of 32mm carbs from a Venture and maybe use individual pod filters in place of the air box.

Hi Steve,

thanks for doing some investigation for me. With the issues around the carbies and heights, i've just gone for it to swap heads over so a few gaskets for $100 and a fair bit of time but it will be done. Looking at parts manuals the bottom end looks the same so hoping having the heads match the carby's will get me bak on track. Need to get it done as the summer in Sydney has kicked in and i need to be on the road!!

Cheers,

• 1 month later...

Slowly getting there the Touring heads fitted fine to the Venture block, cams were quite different so had to use the older touring ones. Got the engine in after much swearing, and went to connect the electics and the neutral switch and oil pressure have different fittings. A bit more to do but progress has been made.