IGNORED

Fuel pump

I just had my fuel pump fail and replaced the points as suggested. I haven't put it back together yet so not sure if the problem is fixed. I have noticed though while going through the posts here and also searching for a new pump that there seems to be a difference in my pump and the ones pictured here and also the replacement pumps I've come across. On all of the pumps I'm seeing the inlet and outlet tubes are straight. On my pump the outlet tube is at a 90 degree angle and the inlet tube is straight. I have a 1999 RSV. Is this the original equipment pump or has it possibly been switched out at some point. The fuel line to the carbs comes down into the 90 degree tube so it makes sense why its turned 90 degrees.

Yes every pump I've seen for the RSV is showing straight tubes. Mine is a Mitsubishi pump but as I said the outlet tube is hooked 90 degrees. I have seen pumps with the tube at 90 degrees for the road star. Just wondering if mine was switched out at some point. I bought the bike used and I only have about 29000 so I would be surprised if that were the case. Anyway I did replace the points and it is back in and working. I was just curious if anyone else has run across this. Thanks to all for the responses.

Yes every pump I've seen for the RSV is showing straight tubes. Mine is a Mitsubishi pump but as I said the outlet tube is hooked 90 degrees. I have seen pumps with the tube at 90 degrees for the road star. Just wondering if mine was switched out at some point. I bought the bike used and I only have about 29000 so I would be surprised if that were the case. Anyway I did replace the points and it is back in and working. I was just curious if anyone else has run across this. Thanks to all for the responses.

I was also thinking the pump you have is for a Road Star. Someone must have swapped it out at some point. It will still work fine as long as your hoses reach OK without them crimping/pinching. They are the same exact pump except for the RS one having the 90 degree tube. I would run it without any worry.

I was also thinking the pump you have is for a Road Star. Someone must have swapped it out at some point. It will still work fine as long as your hoses reach OK without them crimping/pinching. They are the same exact pump except for the RS one having the 90 degree tube. I would run it without any worry.

Yeah I was wondering if they were the same basic pump, as far as pressure is concerned. I tried to find the specs on both pumps to compare them but couldn't fine them. Actually I would have to rerun my fuel line if I were to go to a straight tube pump because the line comes down from the top and into the 90 degree tube. Fortunately changing the points out worked but it's good to know I can use the road star pump if I ever need to.