IGNORED

Why Another Carb Sync

Red Ryder

Hey all, before our yellowstone trip late August I had used the Carbtune and adjusted the carbs fairly close. A few weeks ago was on a couple hundred mile ride and noticed the bike just wasn't running right, but winds had picked up to 30+mpr, so thought it was just fighting the wind.

Yesturday I re-synced the carbs, they where way off, both 1&2, 3&4, and all four. It took a bit but got er done.

(sorry cannot upload carbtune picture)

My question is What would Causes Carbs to get out of Sync?

Two things come to mind either the screws are loose and moved or you did your initial carb tune after only making a bunch of short rides were the long ride cleaned her out and now she needs to be re-tuned. I always can feel a difference in how my bike runs from running 3 km back and forth to work, and how it runs after a good all day run. This is even more noticable if the bike is running a tad rich to begin with.

Two things come to mind either the screws are loose and moved or you did your initial carb tune after only making a bunch of short rides were the long ride cleaned her out and now she needs to be re-tuned. I always can feel a difference in how my bike runs from running 3 km back and forth to work, and how it runs after a good all day run. This is even more noticable if the bike is running a tad rich to begin with.

Thanks Ben, maybe the short rides may be the ticket.

Not sure how to see if screws are tight enough, but need Phillips or screwdriver to turn. Now that it is snowing and cold weather, rides are limited, so if we get a 40+ degree day I will put on a few hundred miles to check it out. Later-

It's always good practice that once you have made any adjustments to a screw to blip the throttle a couple of times to make sure everything is seated properly in it's new position, and then adjust again if necessary. I also like to clean and use a light lube on the linkage before I start so that might eliminate any hangups from dirt and stickiness.

It's always good practice that once you have made any adjustments to a screw to blip the throttle a couple of times to make sure everything is seated properly in it's new position, and then adjust again if necessary. I also like to clean and use a light lube on the linkage before I start so that might eliminate any hangups from dirt and stickiness.

Thank You Carl, hopfully stays adjusted. I do roll the throttle a couple times after each adjustment, learn that lesson, lol. Have it set up great on carbtune right now. Maybe good ol cleaning and lube would help also. Thanks again, Later-

Another thing that comes to mind Red, maybe pull the slides and check em for stickiness in the carb bodies. Also double check the condition of the diaphrams while your in there poking around...

Thank You Scott, I will do that. Bike did set for a few years before I bought it. So maintenance has been on going. Later-