IGNORED

shift shaft wobbles and leaks oil

Well, I had a leak, about 1/2 qt. per week. I found it, the shift shaft. Oil, coming from the rubber seal that is around the shaft. This is the second one I have put in. Both leaked. I found that the shift shaft wobbles a little, up and down. This allows oil to leak past the seal. Is this normal or is there a better way to seal this ?

Not that it hasn't happened, but this is the first time that I have heard of that. I'm thinking that the shaft going through the stator cover got bent, so what I would suggest is to remove the stator cover and see what happens then. Check the shaft for true and any burrs and wear. It could be that a previous owner had taken the cover off and upon re-install got the knuckle of the shifter wrong ( it needs to be in the up postion) and then forced it together and in doing so, bent the shaft, or bent the shaft to make it fit. Maybe then later realized that the shifter worked backwards and then corrected the error and was left with a leak,, to which he said,,,, oh the heck and sold the scoot. Just my guess though.

Thanks Marcarl, I did that and everything was good! The leak is where the shift shaft rod comes from clutch side over to left side. It sits behind the chrome cover you take off to change the clutch slave. The shift rod connects to this rod, then a rubber seal (shift shaft seal). This rod when it wobbles allows oil to get past the seal. I would think this shaft would not wobble but roll, when shifter is pushed down or up shifted. Help!! I know somebody has an answer.

:15_8_211[1]: